“Disappointing”

Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Throughout our weeklong trip I was looking forward to staying here for our final night because I had read such positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately, I was disappointed from beginning to end. When we pulled up late at night after a long drive and walked in, bleary-eyed, to check in, the woman at the desk was on a phone call with a guest who was having trouble logging into the internet. She didn't look up from her call to acknowledge us nor did she ask the person to hold for a second in order to tell us she would be with us soon. She just ignored us and kept talking and talking. When she finally gave us our key and we went up to the room, my heart fell. I had splurged for a "suite" with 2 doubles and a couch. It was NOT worth the splurge. It was incredibly overpriced for a basic chain hotel room with 2 beds squeezed into an awkwardly shaped space. The tiny bed I was supposed to share with my husband (the other bed was for our daughter) had a very wheezy air-conditioning unit hanging over the covers and blowing into our faces. It was so loud and uncomfortable, I chose to sleep on the lumpy pull out sofa. The bathroom was really just a triangulated cut out of the room, right next to the beds, accessed by two doors. The layout was strange and uncomfortable. The breakfast was very basic. The location is nothing special except if you want to do suburban shopping at Walmart. I would not stay here again.

2  Thank PHguide

Reviewed August 22, 2012

My extended family all stayed here for a memorial service for our mother/grandmother/great grandmother. Beautiful hotel. Great staff. Clean rooms. Good breakfast. Very spacious and clean lobby/sitting area. Best hotel pool ever (and I have been to many with my small children). Lots of shopping and dining nearby. Would go there again in a heartbeat. Thanks for the nice visit to the area. Great place. Kudos.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I have done a great deal of travel and stayed at many hotels. This Hampton may be the best hotel that we have encountered. The rooms are large, clean and have amenities that are rarely found in other hotels. The exercise room is excellent and staff very courteous and professional. The weekend rates are fantastic. If you plan to stay in the Shelton area, this is the BEST hotel.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here on friend's recommendation
Apparently recently redone
Very nice and cozy
King bed room with separate living room
Breakfast is free
Will stay here again
Only caveat my room was right across from elevator I thought the noise would drive me nuts but surprise it didn't
If you like Hampton inns and even if you don't check this property out

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BernDude
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My family and I recently stayed here. We only stayed for the weekend. It is a very nice hotel. I was pleasantly surprised by the spacious room, modern decor, clean room, and friendly staff. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank N D
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our travel softball team had chosen this hotel and we're glad we did. The staff was very welcoming and great to work with right from the reservation right until we departed. We had a large group and they allowed us to utilize their facilty to the max right from the lobby area to the pool which is large compared to other hotels and not to mention the slides which the kids thoroughly enjoyed. They allowed us to use a portable grill so we were able to utilize the outside space around the hotel without a problem. The managers (Fernando) made sure we were 100% satisfied throughout our stay. I can't say enough about the front desk staff who always had a smile on their face despite the chaos going on with other guests arriving and departing. The rooms were immaculate and clean, no mold, big rooms to navigate. The breakfasts were perfect and plentiful regardless of the time they were serving. The hotel was renovated last year which now has a great modern touch. I would recommend staying at this hotel hands down and if we are ever in the area again we will be going back.

Room Tip: Great hotel for the price!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My hubbby and I went to the Hampton Inn for our 1st year anniversary. We spent a night there and I must tell you...WE HAD A BLAST!. I highly recommend this hotel. What caught our attention was the pool and waterslide! We both love water and this was such a treat for our night. The room was comfortable and the bed was comfy. The complimentary breakfast is good. I had eggs, bacon, waffles, fruits, etc. My hubby had breakfast in bed (lucky him). The hotel is in a convenient location. There is pizza shop, dunkin donuts, walgreens, outback steakhouse, and other places to check out across the street. I love this hotel and will be going back in the next couple of months for a longer stay. Thanks for a great anniversary!!!

Room Tip: Get a room that is overlooking the main street. The sun in the morning is amazing. Do not get a room...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spice10472
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
HYATT house Shelton
Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven
Courtyard Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton

Been to Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton? Share your experiences!