“A definite favorite”

Baingan
Ranked #24 of 129 Restaurants in Shelton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Open about 2 months, absolutely delicious food and best service, very attentive and huge selection cooked how you wanted it, we will definitely go back!
CT
“A definite favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have been coming here since they opened and their food is always really good and the service is great, too! I love the booths in the front two rooms, so cozy and warm in the winter. And, I like the fact that you could sit outside on a nice day in the summer on a pretty good sized deck - however, keep in mind, the furniture is not fancy out there. They also have ample space in the back room for large parties, but, if you want peace and quiet, I recommend sitting in the front two rooms! I really love the fact that they give you the traditional flat bread with the three sauces when you sit down - I'm sorry, I don't know what they are called! But, they are sooooo good! Parking is easy, too, because they have their own lot and an overflow lot. In the winter, there is a view of the Housatonic River from the back room, however, I believe in the summer, the trees are covered with leaves, and so much of the view is as well.

I would also like to mention one area that I think could use improvement. It is how they measure the spiciness of food. It should be consistent. I like my food spicy, but I don't want it to be so spicy that I can't taste the food. On several occasions, I've told the waiter "medium" spicy and it was so mild that I couldn't even taste the spice at all. So, the next time I went, I said "medium to hot" and it comes out so hot I can barely eat it. They should have a consistent way of measuring these things in the kitchen. Other than that, as I said, the restaurant is comfortable, the staff and owner are kind and pleasant, and the food is good and reasonably priced. If you like Indian, try this place!

• Visited February 2014

shelton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Frequent this place often because of its proximity. All the foods are great but try their dal (lentil) , lamb chili do piyaza, lamb saag , paneer bhurji, goat curry, papri chat, aloo tikki..yumm..

1 Thank gabbar1
Beacon Falls, Connecticut
“Baingan has made me lover of Indian food!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I definitely consider myself a "foodie" but for years, I would always say that the only ethnicity of food I didn't care for was Indian. This is mainly because I went to places that were not to the caliber of Baingan and I only tried dishes with curry out of ignorance of the other options. My brother and his wife raved about Baingan and I decided to check it out with them. WELL, I had one of the best meals ever that night!! They knew exactly what to order for apps and the main dishes and I was a complete convert from that point on. I have been back several times and the food is always fresh and tasty and the service welcoming and knowledgable. Highly recommend!!

• Visited April 2013
New Haven, Connecticut
“Very good Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I brought home take-out from here for the first time- I lived in the area for years and I had no idea about this place! It is on River Rd/ Rt 110 just south of where Route 8 crosses the Housatonic River. The food is very good, and you can tell the quality of the food is high. Overall, we enjoyed the many dished that we ordered. The bhindi masala (okra!) and baingan bharta (eggplant) were our favorites, and the samosas were some of the best we've ever had. There was a little inconsistency in the spicing of things, as although we ordered everything "medium" one of our dishes was very hot. The only disappointment was the "special naan" described as being "stuffed with nuts, raisins, and coconut" was not stuffed with anything- there were no nuts and raisins to be found, just toasted coconut on top. I would not order that again, but I would certainly re-order from this restaurant.

Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food , service and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was at the Baigan with my family and friends ...its one oft he best restaurant i have ever been....food is amazing ...staffs r friendly .....owner is very welcoming ...location is the best ...over all A +........ ...i highly recomment everyone to try this place ......this restaurant has got my five star rating .....will definately go there again :)

• Visited January 2014