“Disappointed”

Hilton Garden Inn Shelton
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
Reviewed April 21, 2013

First of all the people on the front desk are fantastic, smile and helpful. All the time I was there.
However, I have a few problems with the noise at night. The fridge in the room will keep any one awake, in addition to the the heating/airconditioner was very noisy. On the second night I was there, at 3am in the morning I had to listen to the night staff having a good laugh outside my window. After 45 mins, I had to bang on the window to shut them up.
The beds are also not comfortable and creaky even though they advertise you can "tune them".
You can get breakfast there which is OK, no lunch, and then dinner. I had dinner, only once as I think it was just frozen fish and chips out of a box.
The place is convenient, but I had difficulty sleeping there.

Room Tip: Probably worth staying at the back as it is probably quieter
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were there for a wedding and on Friday at about 11:30 we lost power for about 2/5 hours! This caused the entire wedding party to have to pack up and move to The Hampton Inn across the street. We chose to stay and see what would happen and the power finally came back on. We were not happy about the lack of a hot tub which would have come in handy after two terrible nights of sleeping on that aweful adjustable mattress! I could not adjust it to my liking! We were very surprised by the lack of concern when we were asked how our stay was and when we said we weren't happy, The staff member did not ask us why! We paid cash for our two night stay at the rate of 216.00 and were very surprised to see that our debit card was charged 266.00. When we called they said that was their policy and we would be credited for that but as of today, (5 days later) it has not been credited.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
SheltonHGIManager, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Alan:

Thanks for taking the time to write your concerns here on Trip Advisor. I am VERY surprised at your disatisfaction and lack of understanding. I am sure you understand that a power outage is certainly not our fault and that we did everything we could to accommodate your group. I personally made arrangements for the ladies to have their hair done at the Hampton Inn since they did have power. We shuttled everyone over there and at the request of the Bride sent over mimossa's for the inconvenience. There was no reason for you all to move to the Hampton Inn, as a matter of fact, most of the wedding group thought it was silly to move and stayed here at Hilton Garden Inn.

The power went out earlier in the morning if you recall and was back on by 11:30. My entire team was definitely concerned about everyone's comfort and would certainly respond to your needs, but as you can imagine, trying to meet the demands of your group, moving everyone, shuttling everyone, and trying to coordinate who wanted to leave and who didn't was quite overwhelming for us too. We offered all of you an early check in the day before, as you requested, we had your rooms close together, as requested, we kept our bar open later, as you all requested, had shuttles available for all of you, as you requested, and did everything we possibly could to keep your group happy.

The hot tub we have is clearly marked as to why it is shut down. Federal Law prohibits us from operating the whirlpool without an ADA lift. Our lift is on order and it would be illegal for us to operate without it. We certainly could have made arrangements for you to use the hot tub at the local gym if you had said something.

The debit card you gave us, as in any transaction with a debit card, was authorized for your stay, not charged. You gave us the debit card upon check in as a promise of payment, seeing as you chose to pay cash, the authorization is then released from your bank, which usually takes 3 to 5 business days.

I hope you now have a better understanding of what actually took place! We wish you well in your future travels!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The hotel in in a great location. The staff was amazing! Evelyn who helped us with our check in was so sweet and a great help. As well as AJ in the bar, who was alway very attentive and entertaining! The rooms were very nice and very clean. Thank you very much for a great expiereance.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
SheltonHGIManager, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you for recognizing Evelyn and AJ! It was truly a pleasure having you all here and even better to hear that you had a great experience!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

This hotel entrance is difficult to find when you are a first time guest arriving after dark. Coming off Route 8 exit 12, the hotel entrance isn't lighted and it's easy to miss. If you miss the entrance, you end up in a sand pile. Happened to me.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
SheltonHGIManager, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thanks for giveing us some feedback regarding your stay! I am sorry to hear you missed our entrance, that must have been frustrating!
We do pride ourselves on our curb appeal and our ease of access just off Route 8. Our five story hotel is easily accessible from Route 8, the Merritt Parkway and Interstate 95. We are centrally located in Shelton, surrounded by many restaurants and major stores. I certainly hope we have the chance to serve you again and look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our family recently stayed here while "grandma" was with hospice nearby. The staff was so helpful and courteous. The rooms were clean, and the beds were so comfortable (you could even change the firmness of the mattress). They have an in-house restaurant for breakfast and dinner, and the food was great, especially the fresh cookies on the counter in the afternoon. The lounge was pretty and welcoming, and they have a small bar that is open until 11:00. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SheltonHGIManager, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Shelton, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review here on Trip Advisor! I am so pleased your headign read "GREAT STAFF"! We pride ourselves on making folks feel right at home so that you can take care of what you need to with no worries about your hotel stay! I am sorry about your circumstances, but hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed here one night while in town for work. It is very easy to find-off a main road. Lots of restaurants close by. While I was there, snow was coming in-they have a garage where I parked so I didn't have to scrape the rental car. That part was very nice! Staff were friendly. Room was clean. I was on the fifth floor which was quiet. I didn't use the gym. I did order room service-no issues there. I would stay here again if in town again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

How wonderful to hear from you! Isn't that what we are all looking for in a hotel: CLEAN AND QUIET!!!!!!!! I really appreciate your comments and thank you for sharing your thoughts here on Trip Advisor!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The staff at the Hilton Garden Inn is top notch. The hotel is extremely clean and is easy on and off the exit. Many restaurants and stores just up the street. We had our choice of places to eat dinner and lunch, and the breakfast was good at the hotel too. Definitely will revisit

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing your comments here on TRIP ADVISOR! We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms and I was happy to read that you recognize that! You aren't too far away, so hopefully we see you again soon!

John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton
Extended Stay America - Shelton - Fairfield County
Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County
Hilton Garden Inn Milford

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Shelton? Share your experiences!