“Hyatt House Shelton, CT” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of HYATT house Shelton

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
HYATT house Shelton
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Shelton
Macomb, Michigan
“Hyatt House Shelton, CT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

The on-line booking process was smooth. No issues at all. Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted by a very friendly worker. He was very fast and informed me of everything I wanted to know without having to ask. The lobby is very impressive and immaculately clean. It was a bit on the warm side though as were all of the hallways leading to my room. Once in the room everything was as you would expect it to be. The bed was nicely made and the carpet is clean. The bathroom was clean as well with modern fixtures. All of which was in good working order. Except for a chip in the tub that is. The only complaint I have is that there was no anti-skid on the bottom of the tub and it was quite slippery. There could be a little more artwork on the walls in the room though. I do like things on the walls. There was a microwave and a refrigerator in the room along with a decent size flatscreen television. The bed was very comfortable too with plenty of pillows.
The in-room WIFI was very good as well. I tested the speed and was getting 2.1 Mb download and 1.2 Mb upload. Pretty good for any hotel. Overall I am very satisfied with the room I had and the price I paid. I would definitely stay here again.
There are two restaurants within walking distance as well. Chilis and Longhorn Steakhouse.

Room Tip: Avoid a room on the second floor on the backside of the hotel. This is where my room was and you get...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here over this past weekend. Booking was little tricky. Their room description was too vague. "Studio sofabed"? Does it mean it is a studio w just sofabed??? Anyway so I called to make reservation instead of using website to book two rooms. Got the confirmation email and a cancellation email next day. I called and apparently hotel don't allow two rooms under single confirmation number? If I hadn't been careful w my email I would not have known about cancellation. When we got to hotel, I had both reservation alive (so three rooms instead of 2) but guy at the front desk was very nice about it. Extended our check out time to 1 without any hassle.
The breakfast that is included w hotel was exceptional. Coffee was available even in the evening in the dining area and it was fresh. Pool was small but clean and ok. Next to lobby was pool table which we didn't get to enjoy. Hotel is next to lot of chain restaurant like chilli's etc. Room was clean and very modern. I'd recommend this hotel to my friends and family

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank travellee
North England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were not expecting anything too grand, because the prices are so reasonable. So we got a real pleasant surprise, the room/suite was luxurious. This hotel was built only about 3 years ago, so as you might imagine, everything is still in very good condition. The complimentary breakfast was also good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We booked this past Friday and Saturday night to visit my daughter in college. Friday night there was an all night drinking party outside our window; finally around 3:30 am I called the front desk to complain and was told there was nothing they could do because it was a wedding party that booked numurous rooms; since they spent a lot of money they did not want to tell them to stop. So we were left to a sleepless night. We left early on Saturday morning to spend the whole day at my daughter's campus; we returned to the hotel at 10:00 pm to find our hotel door wide open; the deadbolt lock was out which stopped the door from closing. We called the front desk to see what was going on and they said they would send someone up to check it out. We check the whole room and did not find anything missing but it was very unnerving to realize our room was left open all day. Also, the beds were only half made, pillows were still on the floor! The front desk did not offer any excuse except the cleaning people must have left the door open and these things happen once in awhile. Unbelievable! To top it off we were treated to the drinking party outside our window once again until 3:00 am. We were looking forward to a wonderful weekend stay at the Hyatt but were terribly disappointed. They are plenty of options in the area which we will try next time; avoid the Hyatt at all cost!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank NYLiberty
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Overall stay is somewhat disappoint. Mainly the staff. First of we have book the reom we require but when we got to the hotel the room was not available instead staff gave us the other room type without even telling us. Staff uses excuse that we never request it but when we gave him evidence of booking he kept refusing that he did not know what is going on.
Second, the quality of the staff is bad. Some staffs are very discriminated. Because we are asian business man she talked to us in very bad tone comparing to caucasians. When we asked about our package deliver to our room, she talked back that we should check to our room then it was not there. so we came down to check with her again and she acted as if we are bothering her and answered that what do we want her to do. We asked whether the hotel should inform us at least the package arrived so we can pick it up from someone or put the package into our room. She refuses that she does know nothing about it. we gave her the evidence that certain staff (with name) signed off the package and insisted she asked that staff by name and she refused! Finally she called that staff since we would not let it go and found out that the package was put together with company/hotel business and putting in maids room. If we were not to check, we would not have the package.

The quality of staffs vary day by day. Especially at night it was terrible. Staffs are saying very different in terms of the services.

On the day we check out we want our reciepts in our company name since we gave the business card when we checked in. She said that we did not inform her so she refused to do anything. The receipt looked terrible there are so many charged cancelling back and forth max out the auhortization of the card with no nesscessity. When we ask her to clarify or change the wrong info, she refused that it cannot be done three times, however at the end she asks another person to help look into it and finally she can do it. It took her three refusion upfront not to undo the wrong and refecting customer requests even without trying. This is terrible service mind set. The hotel is lucky that the place looks decent.

Overall we will not come back and will not recommend anyone to stay.
PS. We stay around 10 days in Sept 13

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Artit K
Bloomsburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed here just one night, June 2013. This is a typically reliable Hyatt property. The staff were friendly and polite, check in was efficient eventhough they were dealing with a very large wedding party when we were there. Our room was very clean and, as usual, Hyatt bedding was nice and comfy. WiFi worked well enough, and the room was large with a large, swivel stand, flat screen t.v. The property is well soundproofed; we slept well despite the fact that the hotel was filled to capacity or nearly so. This Hyatt has a "made to order" omelette bar and the omelettes were very good (and nice selection of other breakfast items) and the woman making the omelettes was proficient and friendly despite being extremely busy. I used the indoor pool and it was fairly warm and very clean. My only disappointment was the hot-tub had just been refinished and was not available for use. This Hyatt property is located in a quiet/safe environment, there is a Chili's restaurant within very close walking distance and multiple other dining options within close driving distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nittfan
Edison, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Booked this hotel after seeing countless reviews that raved about how amazing the place was. Unfortunately, pretty much a let-down.
First, the staff was commented to be extremely pleasant and courteous.
I had the opposite experience. After arriving with an email confirmation letter of my room, I was told that I had made a reservation to the wrong hotel and that they can't do anything with the email I have. Turns out that Expedia was late in sending our reservation in, however I felt that this was not handled in the nicest manner. Afterwards, after showing my email confirmation, I was told I could not check in without the person who paid for the hotel even though I had the email confirmation will all of my partner's details. I said that I could give him any info he needed, credit card number, etc especially since the room was prepaid online. I explained that he would be late and that I wanted to go into the room and he told me to WAIT. I thought this was unprofessional of him, especially in the manner he said it. After this was finally resolved, I felt the room was average at best with a view towards the unsightly trailer.

Some surprises: the raved about designer shampoo and shower gel? Well it would have been great if someone had refilled it! There was no shower gel at all, and only a little shampoo. We wanted to watch a movie and then we realized there was no payperview option which seems to not happen often.

One of my favorite things about the hotel was that it was supposed to have a pool and hot tub. Well I guess you really have to double-check absolutely everything when you stay here. Once we arrived, we checked the booklet in the room for the services and saw that the pool and spa closes at 11 PM. We were walking by at 9:54PM finally excited to see it, and lo-and-behold not possible, why? because the pool actually closes at 10:00PM and even on the sign on the door the 11 is scratched out. On top of that, after double-checking the booklet, the booklet binder is genius because it has two identical pages next to each other, so logically you would never assume to turn the page thinking there might be another. On the first page it says clearly "11 PM" and on the second it says 10 PM. I just don't know why they don't throw these pages out, it makes it so confusing.

Finally, the weirdest part of our stay was that at around 9:15 AM on Sunday morning, when people are normally sleeping, someone knocked on our door and it was a hotel worker asking if we had "left our room yet" because they "were just checking". I didn't realize it was common policy to knock on doors and potentially wake the guests up to see if they were still in their rooms. This happened again around 12:27 PM after asking for a room extension for a half hour, unbelievable.

I guess this last part is more of a comment about Expedia, because they are falsely advertising the room we ordered, a 1 King Studio - the name given by Expedia. The photo correlates with a large room with a sofa, when in reality we did not get anything that nice. I picked the room because of the photo, since it looked so nice. If you look this description up on the Hyatt House website, under Studio rooms it clearly says that there will be a full kitchen (The only other room names fall under Standard, Accesible, and Residence, and under Standard there is a 1 King room, not a Studio room):

Our spacious, smartly designed studio suite boasts modern lifestyle amenities while adding unexpected touches of luxury at every turn. Guests will enjoy our separate living area with sofa and full contemporary kitchen in addition to room amenities.

Overall I would give the actual hotel layout and design 3 stars, because it was clean and modern, but not the service or amenities which deserve a 2.5.

Room Tip: Ask not to have a view of the trailer, since we did we blocked the window view out with the shutters...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joanna L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelton
Hampton Inn by Hilton Shelton
Homewood Suites by Hilton Stratford
Hilton Garden Inn Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
Courtyard Shelton
#4 of 6 in Shelton
Residence Inn Shelton Fairfield County
Hyatt Place Milford/New Haven

Been to HYATT house Shelton? Share your experiences!