“Poor experience, good food.”
Review of Stone River Grille - CLOSED

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Fairfield County Connecticut
“Poor experience, good food.”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stopped on a weekend afternoon, were greeted by a man who said nothing but showed us to a booth and left without a word. The waitress was a bit more friendly but not by much. My husband ordered a scallop appetizer & lobster mac/cheese. I was not that hungry and ordered a cobb salad. The food was excellent, however both of my husbands plates came at the same time which meant his mac/cheese ($16) had a chance to cool down a good bit. My salad came several minutes later. I finally told him to start without me while I waited. I'd like to say the food was served but it was set down on the table, period. Had the scallops ($10) actually been Jumbo Sea Scallops which was stated on the menu, four would have been plenty. The mac/cheese was cool when he ate it as it sat there and was a few small pieces of lobster and a small serving of macaroni in a nice sauce. We felt that was a very high price for very small servings of both items. The cobb salad ($8)was a good size and quite delicious. The decor was quite pleasant with pictures of colonial Newtown and very tastefully done. It appeared fairly clean but the table had a sticky feel to it which turned me off. It takes very little time and effort to clean a table properly, add a smile with the service and offer just a bit larger serving size. As this place turns over regularly, we look forward to new management who value the customer experience.

• Visited August 2012

Connecticut
“Will not be returning...”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We went here because we bought the Groupon they were offering. When we got there, we decided to wait for a table on the back deck, so we went to sit at the bar and grab a drink. I asked for a Pinot Grigio, and the bartender finshed pouring one bottle, opened another which was a different kind/brand, and filled my glass! Now, I dont know what you do behind the scenes, but if I'm watching you pour my drink, don't use two different brands/bottles right in front of me! Once we were seated, service was slow, and the food to come out was even slower. We definitely waited over an hour for our food. And, when we got it, it was not good! Mine came with no sauce and was missing 2 out of the 4 listed ingrediants on the menu (plate was $27), and my husband said his was not very good at all (fish tacos - $22).

The only nice thing about the place was the back deck by the river...

• Visited July 2012
Oxford, CT
“An early evening dinner experience”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I took our daughter here for dinner earlier in the week as we had a Groupon voucher which was set to expire. Overall it's a nice place, as other reviewers have pointed out the restaurant has changed hands several times in recent years and is housed in what used to be a general store / corner shop. At 5.30pm the place was quiet, lots of space so choosing where to sit was no problem. My wife had the Very Berry Salad and then the Honey Muzard Grilled Salmon - she loved both . .. I had the Chop Salad and then a BYOB Burger. Very attentive server who answered our questions and double checked some of the ingredients in the dishes that my wife chose. We left around 7pm and it was starting to fill up.

• Visited June 2012
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
“Don't Bother”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

For some reason this location seems to change owners and names every few months. We always hope the new one is good because of the location. Unfortunately this one is just as poor as the ones before it...the setup is odd and claustrophobic for such a large building. Service is fair, food is just not very good. We went once, they seated is near the side door with a handy close-up view of the kitchen work area just a few feet away. We ended up eating back in the bar, waited a while for the food which was tasteless. Our first and last visit.

Visited November 2011
Sandy Hook, Connecticut
“Skip this place!”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The food was good, but small portions and the service was ok. I recently ate there with my sister and we thought we would try a few of the small plates. Small plate was an understatement. The 2 dishes we ordered with very small portions and not worth the $14 price tag. Our waitress didn't ask if we wanted another drink or dessert! She took it upon herself to give us the bill. When we asked for another drink she looked upset and walked away. Upon her return we got another bill! When she came back looking to see if we paid, we asked for the dessert menu and she was not happy with that! I'm in no rush to go back! There are plenty of other places in Sandy Hook, CT to eat! Go to Figs, just up the road!

Visited May 2012