“Solid bakery”

Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Rocky Hill
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
“Solid bakery”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have been to Patty Cakes in Rocky Hill ever since we moved to the area- we primarily stop in for breakfast sandwiches on weekends since they are so delicious and prefer them over chain fast food restaurants since they are freshly made and have excellent bagels and crossaints. My one giant gripe about them is that they are really, really, REALLY bad at taking your order. 9 times of out 10 if we are ordering a lunch sandwich or breakfast sandwich, something I've ordered on my sandwich will come on my husbands, or vice versa. I've also had the experience of calling up to ask about catering prices and menus, only to have them call the on that date you had asked about asking why we were not there to pick up our order?

Overall- I'd stick to walking in and ordering what you need from the case. The sandwiches are excellent, but just be prepared that you may end up having something on there that you didn't order. If you are a flexible person and enjoy delicious bakery items, this shouldn't be a problem.

• Visited January 2013

Meriden, CT
“Bagels definitely worth the drive!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Patty's bagels are the top draw for us, excellent coffee, cakes, cookies, and other sweets. I was in their Brand New Glastonbury location on Hebron Avenue yesterday, raving about their cream cheese, and learned they made it in the store. Though Rocky Hill is a 20 min. ride from home, sometimes you just have to do it!! We're very picky about good bagels, never settle for poor substitutes, just can't do it. The big name brand version is just below our line in the sand, though occasionally will stray there as a last resort. We have a few other acceptable bagels, but all are a step below Patty Cakes.

Though bagels are usually the draw, we do like their line of alternatives, but the other item we rave about is their sheet pizzas. Because UConn Football often play 12 noon games on Saturdays, some years back we ordered an old style, thick crust, sheet pizza with sauce and parm cheese. Patty suggested that we consider a breakfast pizza, which ultimately "blew us away". We love the Sausage, Egg, and Cheese, but have also had the bacon version. Our grandson recently suggested that we ask them if they would do a Cinnamon and Powered Sugar version, like fried dough, they said they could, but we haven't done it yet. FYI: not only is the crust thick, but the scrambled egg is piled high, smeared with sausage and cheese, yum.

Lastly, we happened to be in Glastonbury in need of breakfast, but had forgotten about the new location. When we passed the shop on Hebron Ave., our problem was solved, as we also took some things home, incl. our favorite cream cheese, and even tried one of their flavors, the veggie spread. My wife could not resist one of their gourmet cupcakes to go with her bagel.

• Visited November 2012
Middletown, Connecticut
“Great cinnamon buns, corn muffins, and many items”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Patty cakes is a family run italian style bakery. It has a tempting row of display cases; displaying everything from cakes made to order, many fun looking decorated cupcakes, all kinds of italian deserts and cookies, to the more standard muffins, apple strudel, danish, and bagels. It also sells breads, pizza, breakfast and lunch sandwiches, cream cheeses, bottled sodas and teas, and hot coffee. It stocks italian seasional holiday items. There are 6-7 booths located past the display cases. There is ample parking in front or around back of the store. My husband and I come here often for coffee and a bagel or danish before doing our weekly shopping. There is often a line selecting their items before moving along the displays to the register, but it moves quickly due to the experienced staff. The only thing we dislike is that in winter, the back door opens directly onto the booths and it can get chilly with all the traffic coming through, or when the booths are all full and we have to eat in our car. We definitely recommend Patty Cakes

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Thekansaspyet
Hartford, Connecticut
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Previously ordered a baby shower cake here and it tasted great. I ordered a cake for a different event over a week in advance. When I arrived my cake was not done. They asked me to wait. Ten minutes later they came out with the wrong order ticket and asked me how to spell a name on a cake that wasn't mine. Basically I waited over half an hour for my cake to be finished. In the end the cake didn't taste so great. It was vanilla with vanilla buttercream frosting. I won't be going back for a while. Customer service could be improved and orders should be ready on time.

3 Thank mlmrose
South Windsor, Connecticut
“Terrific!”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

A REAL bakery with pastries, cookies, bagels, breads, and cakes that are outstanding! (Cannolis and cupcakes are out of this world!) Stumbled upon it by accident and then learned it has a huge local following.
Has a menu of breakfast, lunch foods as well.
Now has a second location in Glastonbury.

• Visited May 2012