“Lots of Potential Here”

Cuisines: Japanese
Cromwell, Connecticut
“Lots of Potential Here”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We think this restaurant has a lot of potential... Follow me through:

We dined here recently and had the good fortune to try three different styles of food: hibatchi (kids meal), Bistro entrees, and rolls.

The good: The roll we had for an appetizer was very fresh and tasty and well done. My child's hibachi stir fried meal was also very well done.

The not-so-good: My wife and I ordered a Bistro and Curry dishes. The presentation was very nice... flower on the plate & good color. The food came nice and hot. The veggies were cooked perfectly and were fresh and still crunchy and the beef was tender. The issue we had was these dishes were overpowered by the sauces used... both quantity and taste. Her Bistro dish was far too salty with lots of soy sauce being used and my curry dish was far too hot and we're not strangers to asian cuisine or hot curry.

I think we'll return... maybe we'll stick to the rolls / sushi / sashimi and/or hibachi... I think that is where the best food is... however, regarding the overpowering sauces, I am wondering if we can order the entree dishes dialed down a notch... they would have been perfect if that were possible.

The service was very good and the food quality matched as well. Prices were reasonable. Just need figure out how order the dishes that are a bit more subtle with respect to the seasonings.

• Visited May 2013

“Excellent Service Good Sushi”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We went to eat at Asian Bistro because we were hungry and was in the mood for sushi. I ordered the sushi entree for 1 and it hit the spot. The sushi was fresh and there was and assortment including salmon, tuna, shrimp etc. along with the sushi was a crunchy salmon roll which was also very. Zoey was our waitress and provided excellent service. All in all it was a great meal and I would highly recommend it.

Visited April 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Sushi was good...not great”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

It was our first time to try out this restaurant and the fish quality was good, but we weren't really enjoying the rolls...most of them have spicy or fried components and I would have liked to see some great fresh fish in a more creative roll than having it with spicy sauce or fried. I don't think I'd go back for sushi, but I'd come back and try the hibachi.

• Visited March 2013
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Nice addition to our town”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were excited to see Asian Bistro come into Rocky Hill. Been there many times, always enjoy the sushi and the hibachi. The service is friendly, atmosphere is casual, and prices are reasonable.

• Visited January 2013
Portland
“Good atmosphere”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I had a not so good experance here. We did not sit at a hibachi table. We order la carte. The food was cooked to order, but could have been hoter. The drinks were over priced and tasted very weak.
The service was very unfrendly. We will not go back there. We do not recomend this place.

• Visited June 2012