“Great for the fishing”
Review of Old Riverton Inn

Old Riverton Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Riverton
Old Riverton Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Riverton B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I and a number of my colleagues decended on the Inn for a spot of busness fishing on the Farmington River. The six of us had the place to our selves. The Inn was nothing spectacular, an old Inn with small rooms. Breakfast was a so so continental fare and I guess that the restaurant is no longer open. It sort of had the feeling of a place being maintained but going through its final days. If thats the case, its a shame because it has a lot of basic charm and cosyness and is in a great location for accessing some of the best fly fishing in Connecticut.

Friendly but a little pricy for what you get.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 17, 2013

just return back to Istanbul, and last week driving from Montreal to NY city, I stay at the Old riverton Inn. Just superb for your money, the Owner Mr. Telford was so attentive, superb service.
When you sleep with your window open the sound of the river was fantastic, and the room was small but very comfortable. Large parking area right beside the Inn.

Room Tip: I will call and ask to the owner of the Inn.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Esen G
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have stayed at the Old Riverton Inn more than 15 times over the past 25 years. The owners are very pleasant and professional. They now serve a nice continental breakfast which is convenient to have when you want to sleep in a little late before heading out to see the area sites.
We look forward to coming back again this fall as we travel through New England for our vacation.

Room Tip: The corner suite on the second floor is great. Roomy and has a fire place and nice bathroom
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thelma J
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I've been visiting the Old Riverton Inn for a few days of rest and relaxation each year over the past three decades, ever since the present owners purchased the Inn. I'm frequently there solo, but sometimes with friends

I don't go there expecting $600.00+ Hilton suites. I go there for the quaintness, comfort and 'friendliness' of their 200-year-old rooms...rooms that tired and hungry travelers have slept in when they arrived by stagecoach over two hundred years ago.

I've slept in every room that the Inn has to offer. Rooms are always clean, and sundries for the guests in the bathrooms were always there and adequate. The food was always above par, as were their beverages. Regarding their service, I cannot remember ever having a complaint.

It is a rare occasion that traffic noises might be heard in rooms facing the road, but there are some heavy trucks passing by at times...unavoidable, of course.

I'm looking forward to my next visit.

Bob Hansen

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the road in front of the Inn tend to be the quietest at night, and face the sunrise...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 17, 2013

If all you want is a clean bed near the river, the Riverton is for you. It is clean and quaint, decorated with old photos of the inn, way back to the early days, when the porch wrapped all the way around. The bed was comfortable and the furniture serviceable. We recognized some pieces from the Hitchcock factory, and it's stuff that'll last forever. For a fishing trip in a gorgeous location where you're glad not to be in a tent, it would be a treat. Mind the request to remove your waders before entering the Inn! Since our group was the only one there, it was fun being able to go from room to room in my pajamas, and there was a cozy feel to the place. But, as the previous poster noted, it hasn't been updated in some time, the innkeepers were distracted with flooding in the parking lot and the breakfast was so disappointing. One pot of a regular coffee, only sweet breads, cold fruit, no flavored creamer, no toaster. There's no fridge in the rooms, and we weren't offered shared fridge space, so we wound up eating out more than we'd planned. There is a General Store very close by where you can get breakfast sandwiches. Discovering Cackleberries in Winsted was the silver lining. It took a long time to get hot water, and we had to unplug the TV in order to plug in our phone chargers. Road noise in the rooms at the front is very loud, esp. on weekends when the motorcycle clubs go through.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank egr2058
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Various members of my family have stayed here often in past years because we have relatives in the area, but when I say "nothing has changed", it is not a compliment. We had 3 rooms and looked forward to family breakfasts (included in the room price) and a family dinner. Unfortunately for us, the inn no longer has a restaurant. The breakfast provided was the most unimaginative continental breakfast I've ever seen - coffee, orange juice in a pitcher, a few slices of coffee cake, a few mini muffins, a couple of yogurts, some store-bought fruit cups and a couple of the smallest apples I've ever seen. There was no cereal, bananas, hard-boiled eggs or any protein of any kind. A keurig machine was placed in the upper sitting area when we arrived on a Friday, but I don't think the creamers were ever put in the refrigerator before we left several days later. Someone obviously put out the continental breakfast, but we never saw the owners unless we called the Inn telephone and asked to see them. You would think they would make an appearance and ask how we were enjoying ourselves - unless they didn't want to hear the answer? The rooms have always been shabby, but clean, and I was always surprised at the cheap little bars of highly scented soap they supply . Now I noticed peeling wallpaper in our room. Even my mother, who was pretty nostalgic about going there, agreed that we wouldn't be going back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our guidebook had suggested the Old Riverton Inn as a charming, romantic inn in a historic building. With all due respect to the very nice proprietor, we were disappointed. At best the room we saw could be described as quaint and quirky. It was dated and drab, with very odd little nooks and crannies that seemed to suggest a poor renovation (or many of them) over the years. It was the weekend before Memorial Day, and the restaurant was closed; really, the whole inn and tiny town seemed shut down when we arrived in the late afternoon. It's nice to support an old, local business, and a struggling little town, but unfortunately I could not recommend this inn.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Riverton
Blackberry River Inn
#1 of 1 in Colebrook
White Pines Campsites
White Pines Campsites
#2 of 2 in Barkhamsted

Been to Old Riverton Inn? Share your experiences!