“Horrible B&B...dont buy any deals for this place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nyamup
Nyamup Mill Town Holiday Village
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We bought a scoop on voucher and went to Nyamup last year when it wasn't on trip advisor.

The deal included 2 nights at $150 in a bed and breakfast.

The setting of Nyamup Holiday Village is beautiful and remote...and that's where the good stuff ends.

We were in room 4 which was next to the chooks...who proceeded to wake us up at 5am. When we went to shut the windows, we were presented with broken glass, cobwebs, dust, dead insects and chicken poo.

The noise travels somewhat dramatically in the house and we heard every moment of our neighbours...and I mean EVERYTHING.

The bathroom was also next to our room which was filthy. I felt a further shower was required after you'd gotten out to wash the scum away which sits around the bath. And the toilet! Words cant express how foul it was.

To top it off, there were no keys to the rooms so our personal possessions were left unsecured. Needless to say, we took everything with us.

The breakfast provided was some bread, stale muffins and crumpets with some milk which was almost out of date. The water container was empty (and you couldn't drink the tap water) and the cereal boxes were almost empty.

We bought two vouchers=4 nights...we left after two it was that bad.

The lady who showed us to our room was a wonderful woman who I can not fault. I did try and look for her on day 2 to complain but she was no where to be seen therefore when we tried to complain to scoop on on our return, they wouldn't entertain us because we didn't complain to the host. They couldn't care less that we couldn't actually find her to make the necessary complaints!

We have stayed at other places on deal vouchers and they have all been excellent...this place on the other hand was an embarrassment. Do not waste your money and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LongtimeLiz

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The best thing about Nyamup is the location. Absolutely beautiful countryside, nestled next to a river in rolling hills of native forest.

The cottages are "independently-owned, unserviced accommodation". There is a manager onsite, who was very friendly, but wasn't really able to do much to address a couple of little issues we had. For example, we planned to self-cater using the advertised full kitchen facilities, so stocked up on groceries that we could cook in the oven - only to find a sign on the oven when we arrived saying it was unsafe to use and that the electrician would try to be there in the morning. As it turned out, the electrician had been called earlier in the week and the manager wasn't sure when he was coming. Fortunately, it turned out that we could use the stove top and grill, so we were able to improvise a new menu. When we left, the remote for the reverse cycle heating unit wouldn't turn it off. Dead battery, I suspect. Not wanting to be wasteful, we turned off the electricity at the fuse box and reported this to the manager when we left. We hope it was fixed for the next users. There were a few other little things, like the bedroom we were allocated (the other was padlocked off) had only a matchstick blind on the window... and faced east, so we were woken by the sun the next morning. The bathroom was technically under the main roof but only accessible by exiting through the back door to the house, which wasn't much fun on a rainy night in the middle of August. The bikes had flat tyres and rusty chains, with no pumps or oil available for us to put things in better working order.

OK, whinge over. There were lots of positives. The fact that there were bicycles was great. We had a lovely ride up to the main road and then down a track, where we saw a herd of kangaroos! The settlement is peaceful and the cottages are a good distance apart, so you can shut yourself away and pretend you're alone in the world if you want to. There's no mobile phone or TV reception, and I found this really helped us to unwind and relax. It was lovely sitting inside in the evening listening to the rain lash it down outside, knowing that you were safe and warm in the cottage. The cottages are (potentially) very beautiful, full of character with lovely wooden features (as you would expect in an old mill town).

Would I go back? Sure, if I got a good deal (as we did for this stay with one of the online coupon sites). I just wouldn't expect everything to be in working order, I would take LOTS of jumpers in winter, I'd take my bike pump and some tools to make the bikes a bit more serviceable for a longer, more pleasant ride and I'd take an extra sheet to put over the matchstick blinds, for a sleep-in in the morning.

All in all, this is the sort of enterprise that I like to support. It has saved an old mill town from being abandoned and allowed others to experience this beautiful, historic area.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Rubycles

Been to Nyamup Mill Town Holiday Village? Share your experiences!