“Wonderful setting, uneven experience”
Review of Stonehenge Inn

Stonehenge Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ridgefield
Stonehenge Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ridgefield
Oberlin, Ohio
“Wonderful setting, uneven experience”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Somewhat off the beaten path, the winding, wooded roads leading to the Stonehenge Inn promise a bit more bucolic setting than is actually the case, owing to a bustling thoroughfare close to one side of the property. But the setting remains a lovely one, chiefly for a wooded pond at one side of the house--a restful vista, indeed.

The rooms are nicely appointed and pleasant for a morning of quiet reading. The mattress is at the extreme side of "firm," which will either appeal or not, depending on one's preference.

To this general favorable impression, however, there were small things that pull in the opposite direction . . . things that, given the price, were unexpected. For instance, the friendly woman at reception, in giving me the room key, noted that it was difficult to use, and so it proved with lots of jiggling and negotiating required. Surely an easy bit of maintenance was all that was required, and it was surprising this had not been done. Similarly, the knob controlling the water flow and temperature in the shower all but came off in my hand, and was difficult to use. Once again, a bit of maintenance would have easily set this right (as it would have done with the missing light in the bathroom, as well.) The breakfast was "continental," to be served between 8:00 and 8:30. Ours arrived at about 8:29--technically on time, but frustrating in pushing the limits. The croissant was of the plastic-wrapped variety--I had hoped for something a bit more less removed from the bakery, but still not a bad taste.

These are the kinds of complaints that on their own are not all that large, but taken together they weigh more heavily, especially in an accommodation that is not "discount." The two-night stay was fine--we were in town to see relatives--but the small glitches made the price-tag seem steep.

We'd return, but likely with a different set of expectations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank appellation

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Breakfast never arrived. No staff on site even at 8am on a weekday. Best part was that the property links to a walking trail on the other side of the pond. Great to walk the dog. We had a picnic on the lawn because we knew, in advance, that the restaurant would be closed. The only other couple at the inn did not know that the restaurant would be be closed and had planned a 50th anniversary dinner... They were really disappointed. The place is shabby, but you could consider it retro.
I just cannot fathom why breakfast never arrived dispite the letter left for us that said it would come at 7:30 . Got an email later saying that the staff member had a family emergency and they refunded me $20.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank QueenMAB931

Travelers are raving about these Ridgefield hotels

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Something must have happened to this inn, or some earlier reviewers were hallucinating. It is a lovely building in a beautiful site, but the bed felt like we were sleeping on concrete--my back hurt for two days. Stonehenge is supposed to be a great restaurant, but the croissants we received in the morning were dry husks--I've had better from grocery stores--and the "hot" water for my tea was lukewarm. I tried to find someone in order to get hot water, but without success. I even called the hotel from my cell phone in hopes of finding someone who worked there, but got voice mail. Based on this experience, we decided to not have dinner at the inn. Avoid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BartenderMichael
New Haven
Reviewed May 30, 2012

From descriptions on the internet, this looked like a very appealing inn. In the event, it proved rather disappointing. The Stonehenge Inn is located on a spur road off a rather busy highway (Connecticut Route 7), a location rather less rural than it seemed in prospect. The property is not that extensive, and the possibilities for walks in its immediate vicinity are quite limited. The house itself was clean and seemed well kept. This place has pretensions: its rooms are all named for English towns, and we had a sense that the place aspires to an atmosphere like that ascribed to exclusive male clubs in some British fiction of the 1920s and 1930s (this aspiration is not quite realized, however). Although this inn is apparently highly reputed for its cuisine, evening meals were undistinguished, though quite acceptable and quite costly--it was difficult to infer what the high reputation is based on. The dining room has an air of somewhat faded elegance--again, striving for effect was more in evidence than the effect itself. The accommodation, although not lavish or luxurious, was perfectly adequate. The most seriously flawed element was the breakfast, which is delivered to the room door on a tray. It was sparse, even without taking account of the exalted rates this place charges. It comprised two small glasses of orange juice (poured from the standard supermarket carton), a carafe of coffee which (admitting the subjectivity of tastes in coffee) we found vile to the point of utter undrinkability, and two small objects shaped and colored like croissants, and wrapped in plastic. These proved to be lacking in crispness, texture, flavor, and everything else that might make such a comestible palatable. There may also have been a pat of butter and a small container of jam, but as there was nothing edible to spread them on, they were irrelevant. In sum, the Stonehenge Inn was unhappily, for these visitors, very unsatisfactory.

Room Tip: As far as we could tell, there's nothing to choose among the rooms. If it's important to you...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Euphues
USA
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I don't have anything strongly negative to say about the Stonehenge Inn, but I'm not brimming with praise either.

The food was pretty average. Various reviews posed a question asking whether Stonehenge is Connecticut's best restaurant. Maybe my expectations were set at unreasonable levels by that question but the answer is unambiguously "No." While the value for money was good, the food wasn't particularly well executed and seemed a bit uninspired. The music in the dining room was bordering on tragic and the acoustic ceiling tiles were water stained.

The room we stayed in was reasonably charming but the bed seemed to be made of granite (maybe "henge" means bed in old English?)

All things considered I was underwhelmed by both the food and the inn but I know people who love the place. If you're looking for a quiet, low-key experience with decent food and a bit of country charm you may love it too. I was expecting a level of greatness that seems to have faded away over the decades.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GuyWhoTravelsALot
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 5, 2012

There are some nice things about this inn. It has an appealing, quaint sort of look to it, and if you are doing something in or around Ridgefield the location is ideal. But it is clear that the owners have not taken care to maintain the condition of the property or to look after the details of their guests' experience. The room was plenty big and we found the bed comfortable. But . . . there was a funny sort of smell in the entry to the detached building that held our room and one other. Fortunately, the smell did not invade the room itself. And while the bedroom was roomy, the bathroom decidedly was not. It was tiny, and in need of maintenance. The toilet was so rickety I felt like it might collapse, taking me with it. And there was very little water pressure in the shower. I had to gyrate, contort, dance, and bend in various ways to have an adequate shower. Then there was breakfast. On the plus side, it was delivered to the room. On the minus side, it was not even what you could call a continental breakfast. A croissant and juice. The end. Enough to keep you from starving, but not enough to really call a breakfast. The grounds and surroundings are nice, but my guess is that the owners have been reluctant to invest enough in their property to make it a distinctive inn. As it is, it's just average, and not a destination.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MoseyOn
CT
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed here over 20 years ago when it was really wonderful. The rooms were crisp, clean and well appointed. Dinner in the restaurant was superb, the mattress was comfy, pilllows soft and ample in number, light in the room was bright and made the room so welcoming. Breakfast delivered the next morning arrived in a huge willow basket with several wonderful choices of muffins, croissant and brioche, hot coffee and water for tea....probably with a flower wrapped in the linen surrounding the treats. What a difference 20 years can make. I was so looking forward to my visit to The Stonehenge after such a long hiatus...here is how it played out last night, a night both my husband and I wish to forget. We arrived around 11:25 PM to an empty "hospitality" desk, an envelope with our name was awaiting. The room was easy to find, directly behind the public rest room and about 10 feet from the front desk. The door was open, our room key on the bed. All lights have those dim flourescent light bulbs, depressing....one lamp by the bed had a ripped and torn liner on the silk lampshade, another lamp had a plastic, Wal-martesque off the shelf shade on a lovely porcelain lamp base. The bathroom had 70's 3 by 3 white tile that was crying for Sir Grout to come in and clean from top to bottom! The rimmed white sink, also a la 70's, desperatly needed to be re-grouted.The TV was an ancient 19 inch black boxed type sitting on a swivel cart. The clock in the room (no port for your ipod!) an old fashioned digital radio was displaying a time that I did not realize until the next day when I was late for an appointment, was 20 minutes behind!!! But THE worst part of all was the bed, it was as hard as a rock when I sat on it, and it had perfectly square corners more like a box spring foundation, not a mattress. I took the sheets off and it was a box spring, sitting on top of another box spring! I could feel springs under me and the sound when one moved was of metal...needless to say I was awake the entire night! If the bed had not kept me awake the a/c would have. We had it set on the lowest setting but at that it was still freezing in the room and it sounded like an airplane, it was so loud. If you turned it off the room became very hot and stuffy. I tried to get warm by putting on a blanket, but the ONLY blanket in the room (besides the dingy thin white washed one too many times bedspread), was a fuzzy, light, thin beige cotton and polyester blanket, which my husband kept wrapping around himself to keep warm. I wished there was a second blanket, an all weather down comforter with spanking clean white duvet cover would have been nice! There was a blood (?) stain on the dust ruffle which was too short, skimpy and again probably purchased at Walmart. The dark blue carpet had nasty stains just outside the bathroom door in 2 or 3 places. When the alarm went off, 20 minutes late, I opened the door to claim our "breakfast" that had been left on a tray at the door at 7:30. There was one very small croissant for each of us, no butter, tepid coffee and water for my tea so cool that I could not even make the tea! The orange juice was most assuredly NOT Tropicana much less fresh squeezed.
The entire experience was an abomiation...they should have been paying ME to stay there. Don't get me wrong I was not expecting Frett linens or rose petals scattered on the pillow top mattress (actually I was expecting a very comfortable bed..not too much to ask at a hotel or Inn, is it???????) What I am saying is that I was not expecting a 5 star experience given the rates BUT I was expecting a degree of hospitality and comfort. The Stonehenge failed miserably at both. I will never again stay there nor will I recommend it as I did in the past. In fact I apologize to any of my friends who could be reading this who may have stayed there because of my recommendation, based upon the knowledge of a stay 2 decades ago!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank howardmary
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgefield
Ethan Allen Hotel
#9 of 15 in Danbury
Maron Hotel & Suites
Maron Hotel & Suites
#14 of 15 in Danbury

Been to Stonehenge Inn? Share your experiences!