“Novel Food and Good Flavors”
Review of Bayou North - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bayou North
Woodbury, Connecticut
“Novel Food and Good Flavors”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was my second time here and my wife's first.
We love New Orleans and have been there many times. We LOVE crawfish (mudbugs) and they are pretty hard to come by in CT! Spicy and steaming hot with what we considered to be a moderate but satisfying "burn." Very good flavor (and juicy enough to suck dem little heads)!
The crawfish themselves were fresh and great texture. A little small by Big Easy standards, but decent. (Waiter said they can make them spicier/hotter on request.
We each tried the frog legs, which are flamed at the table. I thought they were kind of salty but very tasty. Wife liked them as is. (The waiter said they can adjust the salt if I mention it.)
She had the shrimp Po Boy. It comes with fried popcorn shrimp but can be upped to the larger shrimp and made grilled for $5 more. It looked good with nice fresh veggies and soft/firm shrimp. Came with cole slaw and sweet potato chips. I had the grilled catfish special - its 3 nice fillets gently grilled with spinach and other sautéed veggies in a very light sauce. I loved it. It came with yellow rice, steamed fresh broccoli and a nice hunk of cornbread. (Also got a nice fresh salad and bread.)
This is a nice change of pace and we will be back. Friendly service. Very casual.
Oh, and the Virgin Lime in de Coconut frozen drink is fantastic! If you've never had an Abita Amber (and you like amber beers), give it a try. It's not bad.

• Visited November 2013

Ridgefield, Connecticut, USA
“Good Gumbo”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

If you like Louisiana Cajun cuisine, Bayou North is worth checking out. I had a bowl of the Gumbo which is enough of a stew that you could make a meal of it by itself. Wish it came with cornbread though! Also had the Crispy Chicken wing salad. Moderately spicy so if you don't like hot wings, you'd probably not like this salad. I do and I did so can recommend the salad without hesitation.

Visited October 2013
Newtown CT
“great surprise in Ridgefield”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you like cajun cookin at lease
CT's version of it, well worth a try. My wife loved the fried chicken

Visited September 2013
Buenos Aires
“Nicely prepared and good sized servings”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I went here because they were offering a Groupon promotion. The menu (for both drinks and food) is a bit pricy but the food was good. I had an oyster po'boy and tried some alligator. The alligator didn't have the freshest taste to it but the oysters were delicious. The ambience inside is like an Irish bar, while seating outside, you have to deal with the noise of a parking lot. If prices were dropped a bit, it would make it more compelling to return to.

Visited August 2013
“2 hours of my life I won't get back!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

Mistakes happen what matters is how a business responds.

We arrived to a very busy dining room. Our reservation seemed to be a suprise to the staff but we were seated within 5 minutes. About 30 minutes later we had to ask the waiter to take our drink order and appetizer order. He explained they were very busy.... About 60 minutes after we arrived we were served our appetizers. At about 90 minutes after we arrived we received our entrees, at least the first 3 of 6 of our entrees. The second 3 entrees arrived over the course of 5 minutes.

The entrees were actually good, some of the appetizers were also good. Unfortunately, the service wasn't able to keep up.

Other than making excuses when we first complained we received no acknowledgement of the failure of their service. Based on other reviews and feedback from other patrons this level of service is the norm not the exception at the Bayou North.

• Visited August 2013