Review Highlights

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
dianea717
Dover Plains, New York
via mobile

All reviews intimate venue last night close to home big city judy collins great sound comedy show box office pat benatar no matter front row all kinds great acoustics cup holders great small venue comfortable seats ample parking
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The Ridgefield Playhouse is a wonderful venue with BIG city shows and stars. This is so much more than. a Community Playhouse. They host worldwide talent and shows. You will immediately feel like you are among friends and you are sure to enjoy whatever show you choose to attend. Busy, energetic and fun.....you will long remember your visit and will be looking to return!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We recently attended our first comedy show at the Ridgefield Playhouse, and we will certainly return in the future. Gilbert Godfrey made the crowd roar with laughter. There was ample parking and plenty of staff on hand. Lines at the door and concession stands moved quickly. Several people commented that the seats in the balcony were snug. One of the ushers commented that the seats in the orchestra section are roomier? We already have plans to see other comedians and musical groups in the coming months.

Reviewed October 8, 2018

We have been here twice to see Paula Poundstone, and have enjoyed the show both times..

This latest time, however, we sat in the mezzanine. Both my husband and my nephew are over 6 feet tall, and they were miserable because there wasn't enough leg room for them to sit straight ahead in their seats - even twisted sideways they were cramped.

I am short, but even I felt like I was in a middle airline seat on an economy airline, smashed into the stranger next to me. I don't recall feeling this way when we were there (about 6 years ago?) seated on the main floor, about half way back. Perhaps they have altered the seating?

Except for the seat spacing, this is a nice venue which offers snacks and a bar. The entire venue is very clean (including restrooms). Free parking.

It's nice not to have to drive all the way to Manhattan to see good talent.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We were able to acquire excellent seats for a very reasonable price so went to see Robert Cray. It was our first time at the Ridgefield Playhouse. Parking was adequate and there were a few handicap spots and what appeared to be members only preferred parking. We picked up our tickets at the box office with no delay. The lobby area was small and very chaotic but I did see they had a bar serving beer and wine as well as a concession with popcorn and candy. The theatre is very small, seats 500. We were escorted to our seats by one of the many volunteers. The plush seats were all connected and had cup holders but were very small. We had aisle seats so getting up and out to let others in the row was the only way and thankfully, once they were seated, they didn’t get out again. The acoustics were good and not too loud. Lighting was soft and not the bright, pulsating stage lights that you find in larger venues. There were people going around selling soft drinks before each act began which was convenient. My big complaint, aside from the small seats, was the air conditioning was not adequate. It was on and for a minute it began to cool down but with everyone packed so tightly together, it didn’t keep up and I was uncomfortably perspirating. Beside that, it was great small venue to see a show and I would go back again but I would be selective about performer because if the small seats. It’s is also a non profit so it’s a plus.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

Wonderful venue. Enjoyed the concert but found Don McLean somewhat depressing. He is a folk era artist and does not seemed to have moved forward in his writing.

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

Bought what looked like aisle seats only to discover they were 12" from the wall. According to the box office, the online seating chart shows a hash mark for aisle seats. Guess what. No indication as to the seats were blocked in by a wall. Not happy...

Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

Love the theater but the seats are tight and I couldn’t really extend my legs. I sat in the mezzanine section. The show was incredible and there really isn’t a bad seat in the house to view.

Reviewed August 12, 2018

It all started a few months ago when I went online to purchase my ticket for an artist during its pre-sale the moment they went on sale, I was already in the sixth row. Come to find out that the best seats are saved for the Playhouse “members”. When I got to the show I was surprised at the crowd that was there. I think that many of them did not even know who the artist was and were just there for a night out. At $130 for a ticket, those premium seats should have been saved for the true fans of the artist. There were MANY empty seats, so I made my way to the 4th row and everyone in front of me were sitting down. Better view for me, but it’s a concert! Get up and dance! Many elderly, agin who I believe didn’t even know who the artist was. The snack bar and bar are in very tight quarters. The popcorn was good though, real butter! Back to the concert, it was so unbelievably HOT in the venue that you could literally see haze in the air. My time at the playhouse was 1 I never want to experience again.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Ridgefield Playhouse brings great acts out to the burbs! It is surrounded with great restaurants and has ample parking to make the experience a total pleasure.

Reviewed July 26, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I made the drive from NYC up to Ridgefield in March for a concert by Five For Fighting. Once off the main highway, this was a treacherous drive on the steep and winding country roads of Connecticut, hours after a moderate snowfall. The place wasn’t easy to find. Signage was poor and even our GPS didn’t have it on the map. But once we arrived and entered the theater, the trip began to feel worthwhile.

The playhouse is family owned and it feels like it. The lobby is small and crowded (as were the restrooms). Yet this charming place is clean, colorful, modern and intimate. Think of it as a renovated old-time movie theater with a balcony and contemporary seating for perhaps 1000 attendees.

The seats are a bit snug, as are the aisles. We had to stand up several tones to let in or out the other guests in our row. The house was packed that night (despite the bad weather), which made the confined foot traffic more noticeable. And security was also tight. Ushers strictly enforced the rules of audience members taking photos or videos of the show.

On the plus side, our sightline was perfect. The acoustics were pristine. As good a sounding concert hall as I can remember. That, along with the brilliant performance that evening made this a memorable visit.