“Pleasant surprise - give it a try”

The Hideaway Kitchen & BAR
Ranked #4 of 106 Restaurants in Ridgefield
Cuisines: American
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We weren't fans of the old Corner Pub, but this is a nice surprise. The old dingy decor is gone and the place has a nice light feel. Fried clams were a great appetizer and the burgers are really good. The Little Pub has some string competition. Service was great too.

1  Thank Darren2547

Reviewed March 8, 2013

The noise level is unbearable. It was impossible to talk without leaning across the table. We went on a Thursday night and had the fish and chips special. The fish was greasy and the fries had no taste. The only nice part of the evening was the salad that came with the dinner. We will not be back.

3  Thank scp1939
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

First time we visited service was terrible but food was good. Big guy who owns or manages place (joe I guess) apologized and said "sorry, we just opened a few weeks ago and we're working out a few kinks, please comeback again". We waited a few weeks and tried the hideaway again, service was just as terrible (20 min for drinks, no plates for appetizers - we used our napkins, slowwwwww service) when the food came the burgers were dry, the fries were so soaked with dirty fry oil they were inedible, my mother in laws bread that came with her entree was rock solid stale, the wings were just soaked in Tabasco - nothing but just wings soaked in Tabasco (these are not buffalo wings - we lived in buffalo and frequented the anchor bar and duffs - we know buffalo wings). As we were leaving the big guy AGAIN apologized and explained how the grill broke earlier in the night and he just decided to shut the kitchen down - but not before we paid our bill- and then said "come again this won't happen again" - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, fool me a third time and I'm an outright idiot - there will not be a third time.

2  Thank WeluvMV
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This restaurant will be trying to fill the shoes of the former restaurant known for 30 years as the Corner Pub.The menu would suggest that the new owners are trying to go a bit upscale, but still keep the food and dress casual. Good idea!

The atmosphere is updated, adding a wood burning fireplace as a centerpiece, new authentic flooring, wide chair rails, new light fixtures and large translucent windows which obscure a view of the parking lot, but still lets in bright sun light. All in all smart looking, but not charming

The Servers were first class attentive, knew the menu and were quite friendly.

We arrived for lunch on a week day around 2:00 PM to find a few folks seated at the bar and two or three tables occupied. We were escorted to a table next to the burning fireplace, perfect for this cold rainy day.
For appetizers I ordered Fried Calamri and my wife opted for the Chicken Quesadilla. As I often find thinly cut pieces of calamari dipped in cornmeal are dry and flavorless. Often times they are previously frozen. Such was the case here. Those of you who enjoy a light flour or tempura coating,will know what I mean.If that's your preference don't bother with this squid. On the other hand, the Chicken Quesadilla was first class and better than most I have tasted in upscale Mexican cuisines.

I am sorry to report that I also drew the short straw when it came to my entree. The former restaurant was well known for its burgers, so I thought I would give that a try and ordered a rare chili swiss burger. Rare, it was not,most likely because they left it on too long waiting for the swiss to melt. There is no excuse for not cooking a burger as ordered. In addition, $11.00 generally buys a half pounder, this either shrank down or was far smaller to start. On the other hand, my wife's choice of the classic Balboa was well executed, but a little small I thought for $12.95
The Pint glass of imported Palm Amber was priced just right at $6.00 but the booby prize is awarded to my Titos Vodka on the Rocks. The glass that was used was a little larger than a shot glass and could hardly fit two ice cubes. The price.........$9.50. Even the waitress said they used the wrong glass, but did she offer to make amends....no, the only excuse she offered was that the sous chef was tending the kitchen and there was someone new at the bar.

That is an excuse, but not a reason !

Is it worth trying,yes. Is it worth trying again,yes, if only to order something new. One can't base everything on one dining experience, but in my ball game after two strikes, you get to walk.

2  Thank thomas s