“Beautiful B&B”
Review of green ROCKS inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ridgefield
green ROCKS inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Ridgefield B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Green Rocks has beautiful grounds and rooms and a very zen atmosphere. The cookies and granola were delicious. Food other than fruit, yogurt, and granola is additional but good. Most importantly, the owners are great with dogs. The pups loved running around and could safely do so away from the street. Thanks!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were in town for veterinary care for our dog. When we arrived both Barbara and Natacha were warm, welcoming and friendly. The house and yard are beautiful, clean and peaceful. The breakfast options and meals were fresh, delicious and the presentation was beautiful. The service was spectacular. Natacha and Barbara made our entire experience incredibly positive and unforgettable! I would highly recommend the green Rocks inn to anyone and we will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2014

From the moment we walked into the green Rocks inn, my husband and I felt like unwelcome intruders in the home of Barbara and Natasha. We were in town for the wedding of good friends and, as extremely busy New Yorkers (I am a successful attorney and my husband works in finance) who rarely get any quiet time for vacation, we were looking for a charming B&B/inn to stay in for the weekend. When making the reservation, I explained our timetable and why were in town. No warning was given that absolute silence/quiet was expected from their guests, on the rigid timetables or on the defacto alcohol-free policy

When we arrived about 30 minutes before our estimated arrival (due to much less traffic than I had anticipated), we were greeted with not a hello but an "oh, you're early." We apologized and explained we only wanted to leave our bags off before heading out for the daytime wedding. We were not welcomed into the home; instead, we stood awkwardly in the entry foyer. Were we not welcome guests, I asked myself? Our room was apparently not ready, which is fine, but we were not offered a coffee or to sit in their beautiful common areas (which are, in fact and as promised, quite lovely).

The next snafu was our misunderstanding about transportation options in Ridgefield (this was our first visit to the region). We had figured we could drop off the car and call a taxi to take us to the wedding venue. This was quickly brushed off as ridiculous (though we later learned from many residents of the town that taxis can be called), and one of the owners asked why we would not drive ourselves. I explained that we would be drinking and did not want to drive unsafely. We got a judgmental "oh, I see." in response. Thankfully (and with much appreciation from our side), one of owners drove us the short 5-min trip into the center of town (as indicated she planned to charge us for it). We explained that we had received no information as to when the wedding would end (the invitations were vague), but that we would try to find our own way back to the inn around 8pm (when we estimated the wedding would end).

At exactly 8pm, we returned to the Inn, to be greater by the other owner. Full disclosure: we had a couple of glasses of wine at the wedding (a crime, apparently) and were slightly tipsy. We were in no way drunk, wasted, or horribly inebriated. If anything, we were completely exhausted from a long day, an even longer week at work (I worked 15 hours a day for 5 days straight), and just wanted to sleep. She took us on a quick tour of the downstairs. While she was showing me the coffee options, my husband was wandering around the common rooms, admiring the art and the interesting African/Asian wall hangings (which he asked her about, to no response). This was interpreted as his being "wasted" and "incoherent". After we were placed in our room, one of the innkeepers knocked and asked to speak to me privately. I was told that they do not typically deal with "people like us" in this inn, that they were a respectful and quiet inn and that my husbands "drunken behavior" would not be tolerated. She emphasized that she wanted us the other couple in the inn to have the best experience possible and that this was the innkeepers house as well and not to disturb them. I told her there was nothing to worry about and that my husband typically doesn't pay attention to tours, that he was not wasted. She indicated that "she had never dealt with someone like my husband before" - someone who was enjoying their lovely living rooms?

I returned to my room fuming with a few complaints: 1) we had been in the house for less than 20 minutes, had been nothing but quiet and appreciative of their "hospitality" and had made no offensive noise -- the innkeepers were merely jumping to offensive and judgmental conclusions based on no evidence. If she had left us alone, she would have seen that we were completely exhausted and would have quietly fallen asleep in 20 minutes. 2) the referring to my husband and me as "people like you" and "we don't see people like you" was offensive - what was she talking about? wealthy professional new yorkers in town for a wedding who's biggest offensive was having a few glasses of wine? 3) having been policed for behavior we had not behaved and being treated like loud, interruptive intruders was uncomfortable, cold and inappropriate. As an exceptionally well-traveled individual who has been all over the world, in 5 star resorts and tiny homes, I have never felt so unwelcome in someone's home. If the green ROCKS inn expects a certain specific type of behavior from their guests, strict warnings should be given upon booking.

Lastly, as the coup d'etat, I met the other couple that innkeepers seemed very worried about pleasing on our way out the door. They were normal chatty individuals, very friendly with us, told us not to worry at all if we DARED to speak a word in our room at night, that they had wished we could stay and enjoy the night with them and, surprisingly, had two VERY LOUD dogs (something that the innkeepers chose not to say anything about for the benefit of our experience).

After discussing with my husband the situation, we decided to return to New York. Our dream of having a quiet and relaxing weekend in the country was blown by I don't know what - the innkeepers dislike of "our kind of people"? Their discomfort with my husband daring to wander their living rooms at night? Their dislike of our having had a couple glasses of wine at a daytime wedding? We had received no warning that we were not allowed in those rooms or that alcohol was frowned upon.

After reading the trip advisor reviews, I am positive the owners will respond to this post with all sorts of excuses and claims that we were inappropriate and drunk guests, that the inn is their home and they were concerned about us "breaking" or ruining things. To this, I can say conclusively that this is false, that we may not have fit the stereotype of their "typical guest" but that I am not going to apologize for that, that we were not the "drunken people" they so claimed (I drove the 2 hours back to manhattan with my husband), and that I live in an expensive beautiful well-furnished apartment in the city (that we own) in which neither my husband nor I have ever broken one of our expensive pieces of art.

The property and home is lovely, and if you seek silence, I'm sure you would have a charming weekend at the green ROCKS inn. However, please note that this venue is not for everyone or for every couple by any means.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Justine C
barbarasimkins, Owner at green ROCKS inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take all guest reviews very seriously and look forward to receiving constructive feedback so as to ensure we are always improving our amenities, hospitality, value, and services ... and therefore, our guests' experience. However, after reading your review, we are quite saddened that you found it necessary to manufacture untruths by creating such a vitriolic review. Natacha and I are disturbed that we could not have facilitated a better experience for you and John as is evidenced by the majority of reviews we have received from our wonderful guests. Our mode of operation is based on warm hospitality and exceptional service for our guests. We are also realists, and have come to accept the fact that we cannot accommodate nor please "all the people all the time". We wish you both all our best.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

We had our wedding here almost 4 Years ago and if I could go back and change anything about it, I wouldn't, it was perfect! The house and yard here were beautiful and our home cooked breakfasts were always delicious...Natasha and Barbara made our experience there unforgettable!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Perfection!!! I am the absolute pickiest of travelers and would not ordinarily stay at a B&B but I was impressed by the reviews of Green Rocks Inn so I thought I would give it a try. Wow- so glad I took a chance because this place is a gem! The Inn lived up to every one of the reviews that I had read. Peaceful, relaxing, and immaculate. The Innkeepers, Natacha and Barbara, are warm and welcoming, and the breakfasts that they whip up are phenomenal. Don't skip the fresh juices and the yummy french toast!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at Green Rocks for just one night but it was a lovely experience. The b&b itself is beautiful and impeccably clean. The bed was SO comfortable. We brought our 18 mth old, after calling first to make sure it was okay!, and they welcomed us all with open arms. I certainly give this place 5 stars though we were slightly disappointed with the breakfast. It would have been nice to have a hot option included. However, the coffee they blend/brew there is excellent.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Liz M
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I was at Green Rocks Inn for my friend's wedding and I had a great time. Barbara and Natasha made us feel at home. I felt more like I was staying with family and friends instead of a hotel or regular B&B. The inn is a wonderful place. Peaceful and calming. The wedding ceremony was wonderful and very memorable. Our room was comfortable and extremely clean. Meals were to die for. I would highly recommend the Green Rock's special blend coffee. So good, I had to buy some to take home. I would stay at Green Rocks again without a doubt. I enjoyed my stay in Ridgefield, it made quite an impression on me and left me wanting to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgefield
Stonehenge Inn
Hotel Zero Degrees Danbury
Days Inn Ridgefield
Days Inn Ridgefield
#2 of 2 in Ridgefield

Been to green ROCKS inn? Share your experiences!