“Horrible customer service”

Dalice Elizabeth Winery
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Preston
More attraction details
Owner description: When family and friends get together there is a magical sense of camaraderie of family. Il Cantina Sociale di La Familglia is Our Society of Wine Producers & you are now a member of the family. Throughout your days of wine-making with us you will learn from second, third & fourth generation Italian-Americans the joys and traditions of wine making. From crushing and pressing to racking and bottling, you will be involved in each step resulting in your own barrel of Vino della Casa labeled, of course, with your name. During your time with us, in addition to working with the grapes, we invite you to experience the Italian way, as we know it. We will share with you our new family, the great meals, the lore, the tradition and the story telling that has made for such camaraderie and resulted in so many special times. You'll probably even pick up a few of our favorite phrases and gestures along the way. We invite you to stroll the gardens, play a game of bocce or horseshoes, or lend a hand in the kitchen preparing for the evening's feast!
East Haddam, Connecticut
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Horrible customer service”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was the last Vineyard we visited this summer(out of 56)! What a bad note to end the year on. We had our expensive tiny sampling of mediocre wine. The lake was relaxing to look at-good thing, because the tasting room was confining, and honestly, there wasn't much keeping you inside. The employees seemed too busy for us, the 1 wine we thought we might like to purchase was not available. On top of our poor experience we had the bad luck to leave behind my son's favorite sweatshirt. I contacted the winery and asked if they would be so kind as to send the sweatshirt in the mail(and I would pay for the shipping). At first Mary-Lee sounded very helpful and swore she would send it off in the mail. Several months have passed and several emails of "oh gosh, it's right here and I forgot again!" Now, all of a sudden she says "We thought we had the shirt, but I guess someone walked off with it". My guess is someone is getting a nice Polo sweatshirt for Christmas!

Visited October 2012
1 Thank darcya33764
Blaze F, Owner at Dalice Elizabeth Winery, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Darcy, I am very disappointed that you felt this way. We remember the day you visited our store, as you made a very positive impression at the time. You even stayed after closing to have a drink with us, telling us how much you enjoyed our wine and friendly atmosphere. I feel as though the "sweater incident" led to this horrid review. We have kept in contact multiple times and did come across the sweater a few months ago. After an email with no response, you told us our mail went into your "spam" folder. We asked again if the sweater was yours and if not we planned on donating it to the Madonna place in Norwich. Our final correspondence noted that it was indeed your sweater and we still have it and are waiting for you to pick it up.

Hilton Head, South Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“nice upstart winery”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Nice new winery starting out on their roots
Wine is aged in oak barrels versus stainless steel which gives them a terrific flavor
Riesling and Chardonnay Almond are unique and white winners. Guarantee you'll take home a bottle of the Chardonnay Almond as the taste will win you over.
Merlot is a little different than the traditional merlots but think it is still a very enjoyable.
other reds are a ittle more traditional

Easy trip from foxwoods casino to and from and they are even trying to start up a restaurant.

Worth the trip, conversation and a great way to support an upstart winery.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Enjoy_Travel_from_SC
Blaze F, Owner at Dalice Elizabeth Winery, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful post about us! All feedback is good but positive feedback is always appreciated. We continue to expand and are producing new varietals and bringing back all of the favorites from last year. I hope to see you this year and will have a bottle of the chard chilling in anticipation!
hartford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“3 sips in a plastic cup $10 - $20”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been to many wineries in Connecticut, this the only bad experience I have had.. I had a groupon for a 2 tastings, and a signature glass. It was advertised as a min of 4 tastings. Well as others have said, it ended up being 3. On top of that they were in plastic cups, as they ran out of glasses... When I asked for a signature glass as I collect them from the places I visit, well none were to be found. The staff did not even explain the wines in detail.. As others have said the price for bottles is also quite high at $29 +...

Avoid the trip...

Visited October 2012
1 Thank goliaphil
Thank you for posting on our page. I am so sorry that you had a negative experience here, I would hope that this is not characteristic of us. While groupon is a great tool in marketing, it does have its flaws, as we have no way capping the total number sold, and at times that has hurt our selections in the store. Over the past year we have had our growing pains, and now we certainly have 4-6 wines available at all times (we do fewer wines when featuring our premium wines such as old vine zin, ice wine, and Sangiovese). As far as the plastic cups go, again I apologize for that, we were overwhelmed by the groupon response. I know these are not excuses; they are simply a humble explanation. I would like to note that, on the time the review was written, it was the anniversary of Dalice Elizabeth’s passing. As a result, we do leave that day and had staff run the store. Finally to answer your point on bottle cost, we are on the expensive side, which is true. The justification however is that we do all of our wines from grape to bottle. That means we literally take the grapes (many wineries use juice or must) and crush press ferment and age all on site. We also do this with our family traditions of using oak barrels, where many wineries use steel aging vats with oak chips. I do hope you decide to give us another chance this summer, I believe you will have a much better experience.
“Not so bad !!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Despite what I read in the other reviews, I still took a chance and headed out to the vineyard. Some things that other people wrote were true, only 3 wines to taste, tasting bar was a little small, good enough for only 5-6 people, and there were 11 of us. They had 2 tables and chairs in the room also. I thought the wines were a little pricey, $29 a bottle, or $10 a glass. They have plenty of tables and chairs outside where we sat and the view was very nice! So overall, not a bad place to visit and enjoy!!

Thank you for your post on our page. I am sorry that your time was not better but I do appreciate you giving us a try. With a new year comes many improvements, including more seating, more staff, and most importantly more WINE! Our tastings now feature 5 wines on a daily basis and I do hope you come back this year and try every one of them!
Bridgeport
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Too crowded to get a good feel”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have been visiting the wineries in ct and stopped here for a tasting. The area inside was super crowded and there were only 2 people working behind the bar. I think bc of the number of people inside , it felt very warm. There are cute tables outside for sitting, but there a no vineyard views. There is a nice lake to look out on which can also be just as relaxing. The wines were just ok...but they were the first vineyard (out of about10 that we have visited) that had ice wine! It was kinda expensive but worth the money... Very good. I think if there were less people, we would have gotten a different feel.

Visited August 2012
Thank you for posting a review on our page. I am sorry that you did not have a better time and would love to make it up to you if you visit again. For the new season, we have expanded our seating area and now have between 2-4 people on staff so everyone has individual attention. Also our vines are now five years old and starting to look impressive. Hope to see you this year!