“3 sips in a plastic cup $10 - $20”

Dalice Elizabeth Winery
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Preston
More attraction details
Owner description: When family and friends get together there is a magical sense of camaraderie of family. Il Cantina Sociale di La Familglia is Our Society of Wine Producers & you are now a member of the family. Throughout your days of wine-making with us you will learn from second, third & fourth generation Italian-Americans the joys and traditions of wine making. From crushing and pressing to racking and bottling, you will be involved in each step resulting in your own barrel of Vino della Casa labeled, of course, with your name. During your time with us, in addition to working with the grapes, we invite you to experience the Italian way, as we know it. We will share with you our new family, the great meals, the lore, the tradition and the story telling that has made for such camaraderie and resulted in so many special times. You'll probably even pick up a few of our favorite phrases and gestures along the way. We invite you to stroll the gardens, play a game of bocce or horseshoes, or lend a hand in the kitchen preparing for the evening's feast!
hartford
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“3 sips in a plastic cup $10 - $20”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I have been to many wineries in Connecticut, this the only bad experience I have had.. I had a groupon for a 2 tastings, and a signature glass. It was advertised as a min of 4 tastings. Well as others have said, it ended up being 3. On top of that they were in plastic cups, as they ran out of glasses... When I asked for a signature glass as I collect them from the places I visit, well none were to be found. The staff did not even explain the wines in detail.. As others have said the price for bottles is also quite high at $29 +...

Avoid the trip...

Visited October 2012
1 Thank goliaphil
Blaze F, Owner at Dalice Elizabeth Winery, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for posting on our page. I am so sorry that you had a negative experience here, I would hope that this is not characteristic of us. While groupon is a great tool in marketing, it does have its flaws, as we have no way capping the total number sold, and at times that has hurt our selections in the store. Over the past year we have had our growing pains, and now we certainly have 4-6 wines available at all times (we do fewer wines when featuring our premium wines such as old vine zin, ice wine, and Sangiovese). As far as the plastic cups go, again I apologize for that, we were overwhelmed by the groupon response. I know these are not excuses; they are simply a humble explanation. I would like to note that, on the time the review was written, it was the anniversary of Dalice Elizabeth’s passing. As a result, we do leave that day and had staff run the store. Finally to answer your point on bottle cost, we are on the expensive side, which is true. The justification however is that we do all of our wines from grape to bottle. That means we literally take the grapes (many wineries use juice or must) and crush press ferment and age all on site. We also do this with our family traditions of using oak barrels, where many wineries use steel aging vats with oak chips. I do hope you decide to give us another chance this summer, I believe you will have a much better experience.

“Not so bad !!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Despite what I read in the other reviews, I still took a chance and headed out to the vineyard. Some things that other people wrote were true, only 3 wines to taste, tasting bar was a little small, good enough for only 5-6 people, and there were 11 of us. They had 2 tables and chairs in the room also. I thought the wines were a little pricey, $29 a bottle, or $10 a glass. They have plenty of tables and chairs outside where we sat and the view was very nice! So overall, not a bad place to visit and enjoy!!

Blaze F, Owner at Dalice Elizabeth Winery, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thank you for your post on our page. I am sorry that your time was not better but I do appreciate you giving us a try. With a new year comes many improvements, including more seating, more staff, and most importantly more WINE! Our tastings now feature 5 wines on a daily basis and I do hope you come back this year and try every one of them!
Bridgeport
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Too crowded to get a good feel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We have been visiting the wineries in ct and stopped here for a tasting. The area inside was super crowded and there were only 2 people working behind the bar. I think bc of the number of people inside , it felt very warm. There are cute tables outside for sitting, but there a no vineyard views. There is a nice lake to look out on which can also be just as relaxing. The wines were just ok...but they were the first vineyard (out of about10 that we have visited) that had ice wine! It was kinda expensive but worth the money... Very good. I think if there were less people, we would have gotten a different feel.

Visited August 2012
Thank you for posting a review on our page. I am sorry that you did not have a better time and would love to make it up to you if you visit again. For the new season, we have expanded our seating area and now have between 2-4 people on staff so everyone has individual attention. Also our vines are now five years old and starting to look impressive. Hope to see you this year!
Schuylerville, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Poor Wine Tasting Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We went to Dalice Elizabeth with a groupon for a wine tasting for 2. When we arrived at the winery we found out that they only had 3 wines to taste. It's a good thing we only paid $10 for the groupon because I doubt I would have done the tasting for full price. The Chardonnay was pretty decent but it was served warm, would have been very good if it had been chilled. Their reds were nothing to write home about. It seemed to me that they need more help because there was only one person working the tasting room and there were about a dozen people looking to do tastings.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank babcoccl
I am very sorry you had a negative experience here. If you read some other responces, there seems to be a theme that groupons have had some negative experiences. I can say that that has been rectified however, we now staff 2-4 people every day so that should not be an issue. Also our tasting now consist of 5 wines and our whites are chilled! Please give us another chance this summer, I think you may enjoy it!
Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Worst wine-tasting of the season.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

During the summer of 2011 we tried to visit as many Connecticut wineries as we could fit in. One of the last ones we went to was Dalice Elizabeth. We had a Groupon for a wine and cheese tasting. The first thing we noticed when we arrived was that the bathroom facilities consisted of a porta-potty. The tasting room was small, it was alright, but not up to the standards of all the other wineries we had visited that season. It could probably not accomodate more than eight people at a time, but had some charm with tables made out of wine barrels. Only four wines were included in the tasting, which made it kind of expensive, but we had the Groupon, so we thought it would still be worth what we paid. Then we were told that they didn't have any cheese! We weren't very impressed with the wines, and the host seemed as if he had somewhere else he would rather be. We did decide to buy one bottle of wine, only to be told that it was not available. Can't understand why it was included in the tasting. Delice Elizabeth was also the only winery we visited that summer that didn't give us a commemorative glass. There really wasn't anything good about the experience.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank lindapeg
Hi Linda,
I know this responce is late but I thought better late than never. As you have seen, we have gone through some growing pains in our first few years. I am very sorry that you had to feel the ill effects of them however. Please understand that small businesses may at times be overwhelmed with groupon influxes, especially if it is one of their first times running a promotion. This is not meant to be an excuse, merely an explenation. We do still have the portapoty but I can assure you it is one of the cleanest and classiest around! I do hope you decide to give us another chance to show you how much we have improved!