“Simply The BEST!”

Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Mendon, Massachusetts
“Simply The BEST!”
Reviewed July 24, 2007

After numerous wonderful visits with Ted and Carol at their Captain Gran'ts 1754 Inn it seemed an appropriate time to share our opinions. From the moment we enter the quaint village of Poquetanuck and head up the driveway and overlook the stonewalls and fields we just start to relax. It feels like coming home.

The warmth of our hosts and the lovely setting aside, the Inn itself is a beautifully cared for historic home. The common rooms (almost the whole first floor!) and bedrooms are all tastefully decorated with antiques and Carol seems to be constantly adding to her collection. It is a great starting point to head out antique shopping in Montville, Old Lyme, Stonington or Mystic and centrally located if you want to head to the impressive flea market in Jewett City.

How pleasant to come in at night after a show at Mohegan Sun and be able to sit in the living room and have a complimentary glass of wine (my husband heads stright for the homemade cake and cookies left for guests on the dining room table) and stroke Molly the cat while we discuss the evenings events and check our emails. In the morning we are treated with outdoor dining if weather permits and some very original and delicious breakfasts prepared by Carol. Fresh herbs right from the garden in the eggs and home made jams and jellies plus rhubarb and strawberry compote on the French toast are just a few of the treats in store for guests. Ted keeps the wonderful coffee coming and is always ready to serve mimosa's if someone is having a celebration!

Having stayed in many Bed and Breakfasts over the years (and several in the area) this is our favorite by a mile! We hope to come back many more times.

• Liked — Hard to pick the best, Ted and Carol's warmth and commitment to the Inn.
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Bev1800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Melville
Reviewed July 15, 2007

My fiance' and I stayed at Captain Grant's several days on three separate occasions. We adore the decor of the rooms and the beautiful and serene landscape of the property. The innkeepers, Ted and Carol, were gracious and very accommodating to our needs. The breakfasts were outstanding, each morning a different menu, with a variety of foods. This past visit we took in the nice weather by eating breakfast on the deck. The rooms were immaculate and everything we needed was in the room--we never had to ask for anything. Ted and Carol advised us on all the best places to dine and provided us with directions and maps of the area. Captain Grant's is very accessible to mystic seaport and the casinos. We had a very enjoyable stay and are planning to return shortly.
(Melville, NY)

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank AwayWeGoMelville
New York
Reviewed April 28, 2007

My husband and I recently spent several nights at Capt. Grant's. From the minute we arrived and were greeted by Ted and Carol, until we left, our stay was thoroughly enjoyable. Our room was spotlessly clean and we were pleasantly surprised to find thick Turkish towels instead of the usual see-through ones you usually are given to use.

We woke each morning to wonderful smells coming from the kitchen. Since the weather was unseasonably warm, we were asked if we'd like to eat outside on the patio, and we jumped at the chance. We were served on lovely white linen tablecloths and flowered china. The food was amazing, and we bought 4 jars of Carol's home made jams to take home.

I could go on and on singing the praises of this beautiful place, and
of its wonderful, friendly owners. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Friendliness of the Owners
  • Disliked — Everything was Great!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Happy_Travelers12304
usa
Reviewed March 26, 2007

This would have been a great stay if the owners had not given our room to someone else. The room selection had been very important to us and I had even called that day to check and make sure all was ok.
They left out this little detail. Even worse, the person they gave the room to did not even show up! Otherwise, it is a very pretty property, though there is a bit of an industrial view off to one side and it is on a busy street.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chloeUSA
Hyde Park, NY
Reviewed January 21, 2006

I was looking for a place to stay for a weekend getaway in Connecticut and after some deliberation decided on Captain Grants. As it turned out, it was a very good choice. When I made the reservation, I wasn't aware it was so close to Mohegian Sun (about 5-10 minutes away), so it was easy to decide what to do for the day.
The building which we stayed in is steeped in history and it is worthwhile to read the two scrapbooks which were available in the common area (which we did while having our delicious morning coffee). Breakfast was at 9:00 which is a little late for me, but since it was a weekend for relaxing, it was no problem. It was very good with plenty to go around. Ted was a great host and greeted us as we pulled in the driveway.
Our room, Amy, was very warm despite the blustery weekend weather. The gas fireplace easily could make for a very hot room if you were not too careful (as we almost did).

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank vette1979
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 15, 2006

My wife and I have been guests of Captain Grants since 1999, with our most recent visit in December 2005. We love Ted and Carol. They are extremely caring and maintain the historic Bed and Breakfast in excellent condition. The rooms are warm and cuddly while breakfast is yummy. Location of the B&B is perfect as it is in between the Mohegan Sun Casino and Foxwoods Casino. In the summer, we also drive out to the beach at Watch Hill, Rhode Island. At only 2.5 hours drive from Manhattan, Captain Grants offers us a beautiful refuge from our busy work schedules.

• Stayed December 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Northumberland, PA
Reviewed October 8, 2005

I've read all the reviews. There are some comments I agree with, but others I do not. I must agree that the innkeepers are very friendly. The food was delicious and the house itself, very charming and tastfully decorated. The fireplace and canopy bed in our room were both beautiful. Breakfast outside on the deck was very nice. There were many area restaurant menus in the dining room which was very helpful and the evening snacks of cake and cookies were tasty. Unfortunately, I must stop there with the positives.
Cleanliness, to me is very important. Especially when you are paying money for accomodations. I can't really say anything about all the rooms because we only stayed in the Elizabeth room, but from what I could see, the house really needs a good cleaning. Dirt behind furniture, hair on the bathroom floor, wall and ceiling. There was also mold and mildew on the tub tile. The tube drain seemed to be clogged because the tube would fill up with about two inches of water when taking a shower. Warning - the tube in the Elizabeth room gets VERY slippery when wet. The open beams are very pretty, but not the cobwebs hanging from them. The window blinds could also use a good bath. The sitting areas downstairs and dining room seemed fine, but our room and the kitchen were not. I asked for a new bed sheet because the one on the bed had bleach and other spots. A new one was furnished, but things like that should not happen.
There is not a great selection of soda and beer. If your expecting Bud, Sam Adams or Coors Light you will be disappointed. The beer brand is something I didn't recognize. I didn't try the wine so I can't comment on that. I was surprised that they did not provide bottled water. This is the first B & B we've ever stayed at the didn't have bottled water available. Most people would prefer not to drink water from the tap. And I also agree with the earlier post, the beds are a bit on the uncomfortable side.
The location is great if you like the casinos. Four miles to Mohegan Sun and seven miles to Foxwoods. If casinos aren't your thing you might want to look for something closer to Mystic. Captain Grant's is about a 15-20 minute drive to Mystic and a bit longer to Stonington.
If we ever return to the Mystic area I would look for a different place to stay. Probably someplace closer to Mystic. For me to recommend Captain Grant's to anyone it would need a thorough house cleaning. I guess for now my recommendation would be to look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank neech76s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Mohegan Sun
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Uncasville

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!