All reviewsadelaide roomother gueststhe main housenext morningwonderful hostsmystic seaportlots of historyown bathroommohegan sungame room with poolchampagne toastb bsfirst floorserved a delicious breakfastfresh fruitcarolghost
Reviewed September 24, 2005

When we first arrived, we were a bit concerned at the distance from Mystic but both now agree that this is the place to stay as it is perfect for Stonington, Newport, Foxwoods and Mohegan Sun Casinos.

I agree with all the reviews. Ted and Carol were wonderful hosts, friendly without being intrusive and very helpful with information for places to go and there is a very helpful guide in the room.

The best thing though is Carols cooking. I think I put on about five pounds in two days, the food was that delicious. On the first morning we had blueberry pancakes, fruit, eggs, bacon etc and on the second day fruit loaf, sausage, fruit, english muffins, eggs etc. And Carol's eggs - just delicious! Wine beer and soda in the fridge was a nice touch as were the cookies in the jar and the cake.

It felt very much like you were at home, the atmosphere is so relaxed.

I only have two tiny criticisms and that is that the bed was too hard for us (but thats a personal thing I suppose) - I slept on pillows the second night and the other thing is the liberal use of bleach in the onsuite which makes it smell like a swimming pool (the smell went by the second day). I like clean but I really hate bleach!

I cannot give this place any less than 5 stars though and it deserves them all.

We paid $99 plus tax - about $220 in all for two nights - and i think we ate that much in food!!

Thanks again to Carol and Ted for being such fantastic hosts. If you get softer mattresses we will definately be back!

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank weekendtripper
Reviewed August 23, 2005

My husband and I , and our two children stayed in two of the rooms. We enjoyed them very much. Everything was clean and ready for us. I felt right at home. Ted and Carol were great hosts and the food was wonderful. It was great hearing the history of this B&B.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank raphella4
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Captain Grant's Bed and Breakfast is by far our favorite place to go. Everything about it is just wonderful. The location is just great, in between two casinos, The Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods, as well Mystic Seaport, wine trails, and tons of other great places to visit. The inn keepers, Carol and Ted, just make us feel so welcome every time we visit. They also make the most delicious breakfast we have ever had at any Inn. There are so many nice extras, like a jar of cookies and home made cake for all to enjoy, a fridge stocked with soda and wine for guests. and sherry in the rooms. The is a two level side deck off of the home to sit out on and just relax. All in all, this is our favorite place to go and get away from it all. We would recommend Captain Grants to anyone who wants to enjoy a true New England Bed & Breakfast!

The McCabes

3  Thank Global36059
Reviewed August 5, 2004

We have been to many B&B's and Captain Grant's is still No. 1 on our list. We have stayed there three times and couldn't ask for more hospitable innkeepers. Looking forward to another visit!

5  Thank BoardingPass7142
Reviewed July 12, 2004

Captain Grants was my husband and my first time in a Bed & Breakfast. We were both very leery of staying in one since we have always stayed in the traditional hotels/motels, but our son and daughter in law insisted that we give it a try.

Ted and Carol the inn keepers greeted us as soon as we opened the door to this lovely old 18th Century Inn, and at that same time all of our doubts, concerns and questions about staying in a B&B seemed to have been left behind.

We were treated as guests, not customers, and friends not room numbers.

The room we had was beautiful and so comfortable it made us feel like we had indeed stepped back in time.

We were able to go downstairs at any time day or night to get a variety of refreshments from the refrigerator. There was a cake in a server on the dining table, and the cookie jar was full of home baked cookies.

Breakfast was so good that we requested the same thing for the next morning, which was something not normally done, since they serve something different every morning. And by the way, breakfast is served by candlelight.

There is something pretty special about being far away from home and sitting down to breakfast with another couple that you just met and the Inn Keepers and laughing and talking and sharing as if you have known each other for years instead of hours.

Thanks Ted and Carol for the wonderful experience of staying in a B&B... we will be back for sure, leave the light on!

Paul and Marylou