“Got Bit Bad...”

Captain Grant's, 1754
Ranked #1 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2008

Stayed there starting Aug. 16th and left on the 18th. I would agree all the other reviewers' comments about Carol and Ted being gracious and breakfast was delicious. The inn was nice as well and comfortable--until we got bitten. We arrived very late and very tired so we went straight to bed. The next morning, I woke up with a few itchy bites and I hoped they were merely mosquito bites from the previous evening. By mid-day, the bites became more itchy, more pronounced, and appeared in a row on my arm. GF also had bites on her legs. By the time we got back to the inn from the concert, it was again very late so we didn't get a chance to speak with either Carol or Ted, and therefore just decided to turn in and hope for the best since we were going to leave very early in the morning anyway. Woke up with some more bites on my legs but not as much as my arms from the night before. The first thing we did when we got home was buy a bug bomb and fumigate our home and our opened luggage, just in case we carried any bugs home. I am still not sure whether they were fleas or bedbugs but I am still itching now even though it is a month later and I am afraid the bites might scar. The bites exuded pus for almost two weeks and some are still swollen. No big deal right? Try wearing a dress shirt and pants over wounds. Yes, we have mementos alright, but not the ones anybody would like to have.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank Ed08NJ
CaptaiGrants, owner at Captain Grant's, 1754, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2008

We have never responded to a guest comment before, not wanting too seem overly defensive. However, the above allegations are so damaging to our reputation, we are obliged to reply. First of all, we are checked regularly by a professional exterminator service and have never had bugs. Immediately after receipt of this complaint, we had our exterminator inspector come in and do an inspection. He gave the Inn a clean bill of health. We do not have any idea what affected these guests and are sorry they believe Captain Grant’s was responsible for their discomfort. We and other guests have subsequently slept in the room and have not had any problems.

Reviewed August 31, 2008

Our 3 nights at Captain Grant's was absolutely memorable.
The innkeepers Carol and Ted were gracious and went out of their way to recommend sites and restaurants. I was impressed that they even had a box with typed out directions to their favorites. Everything they recommended was excellent. The inn had loads of charm and history. The breakfast was wonderful with homemade jams and syrups and fresh herbs. However, my most memorable part of the trip was speding time sitting on the porch with Carol over coffee and tea having discussions about a wide range of topics. She is an amazing woman and the time would just go by. We truly enjoyed her company. She thoroughly enjoys what she does and you can feel how much she cares for people. My husband and I will definitely be back and we highly recommend this property. This was our first B&B experience and it was fabulous. By the way, the location can't be beat minutes to Mohegan Sun, short ride to the Mystic Seaport and vineyards.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank karenec
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My husband and I went to this B&B for our anniversary weekend. The B&B was everything that was published on the web site. Our room was historic, comfortable and cozy. The innkeepers were friendly and more helpful about the area than any place I have ever stayed in my 50 years. The had information about the local restaurants, both casinos and area attractions (like Mystic). They provided menus from restaurants and directions to everywhere.
The breakfast (2 mornings) were very tastey and we ate out on the first floor deck. The tables were set with lovely linens and tableware and I felt as though I was dining in a 5-star restaurant. The common area is very large and there is a 3 story deck on one side of the building. I spend both mornings on the second story deck watching the sunrise.
I would go back again in a minute and hope to get back therer soon.
Judy and Steve Wilson, Southampton, New York

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2008

As two couples traveling the New England and Conn seaside, we booked two rooms (Elizabeth and Adelaide Rooms) for the weekend of 8/1-8/3/08. Our stay at this gem of a B & B was one of the highlights of our trip. Everything was perfect from the moment we stepped out of the car and gazed upon this magnificent over 250 year old building that had been lovingly rennovated and restored back to its glory and stature. The proprietors Carol and Ted made sure that each of our every needs were accomodated (i.e. my husband can't have butter so they prepared a special breakfast both days for him). Our breakfast each day was beautifully presented, most delicious, varied in menu and accompanied with homemade jellies and jams, syrups, etc. Each room was air conditioned (a must at this time of year), very clean (no musty spell), and tastefully decorated to reflect the unique period history and elegance. This is a must stay for those wanting to be close to Mystic, Mystic Seaport, Stonington, and the nearby casinos, but without all of the hustle and bustle. Perfect for those who are seeking a romantic getaway, a relaxing jaunt, or just want to be a tourist/see the area sites. The tranquility and serenity of the area most complemented the ambiance and grandeur of Captain Grant's. As two couples, we both agreed Captain Grants was the best B & B we have ever stayed at . Kudos to Carol and Ted for making our stay one of the highlights of our trip.

Susan and Marty Karpiel, Long Beach, CA

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Pam and myself arrived at the Inn early in the morning to get our little get away started. We were greeted right away by Carol and Ted and were given the tour of the Inn. Ted set us up with maps of the area and helped us with some discounts. Ted spent time with us even though he was in the middle of serving breakast. I was sold right then and there that this was a great Inn. We had booked the ADELADE room..supposedly the most haunted, if you beleave in that sort of thing. We could not wait to come back later in the day to relax and enjoy the haunts. :-0 The room is beautiful and very clean. The grounds are very nice. I read a review that some people thought there was a bit of an industrial view off the porch. NOT TRUE AT ALL. They must not have gone out on the porch. There is a nice view of fields and flower hot houses. It is a very nice country setting. The breakfast at the Inn is amazing. You will not go away hungry. The Inn is situated between both casinos 2 miles to one and five to the other. This Inn is a MUST stay for this area. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2008

As an avid "ghost hunter", my friend and I were on a vacation and looking to spend a night in a "haunted" locale. We were heading home from a short stay in Vermont, and wanted the last night of our trip to be memorable. We definately were NOT disappointed.
I had looked online, prior to our 3day get-a-way, and came across Captain Grant's. It wasn't too far off the beaten path, close to The New London Ferry, close to the casinos of CT, and seemed perfect for a night of Ghost Hunting fun!
When we arrived, it was still daylight. Tired from our long car drive from Vermont, we pulled in the driveway, and were immediately awake and refreshed again. "WOW" was the word that escaped both our lips. We had booked the ADELADE room..supposedly the most haunted, and couldn't wait to get inside. We met Carol and Ted right away, they came and gave us a tour, and told us all about the historic inn. We met Molly, the Inn's sweet little Black cat, that keeps the spirits happy, when no one is staying there. We were told that we were the ONLY two spending the night...how lucky!!!! We had a whole night to ourselves in a "haunted" house....COOL!!!!!
Before leaving for the night, not to be seen until the next morning for a fabulous breakfast, Carol and Ted, gave us some local maps, highlighted places to see and do in the area, and said "goodnight". We figured we would go to dinner, play a few casino games in Moheagan Sun, and then come back to hunt the spirits of the B&B. It was such a great location. The B&B is in the country, yet close enough by car to the casinos...although you would never know it....VERY QUIET. We read some of the articles about the Inn, which were in some books on the coffee table in the living room, and saw that there were two OLD cemeteries nearby. We picked up the phone, and called Carol and Ted to ask where they were. To our surprise, the were directly across the street, and also in the rear of the inn, through a field. HOW AWESOME!!! A Haunted Inn, nestled between 2 Old cemeteries. My night was complete, and I hadn't even done anything yet.
After a nice meal, and losing money at the casinos, we came back to our "private" inn for two, plus Molly the cat, and went up to our room. We had some complimentary Wine and Beer, that Carol and Ted said "help yourselves" to. We looked around and got out our cameras,, and E.V.P recorder, put out some children's toys in our room ( for the ghost children to play with), and walked around the house to explore. It had just started to rain lightly, which only added to the "scooby-doo" like evening. The floors creaked a bit, and we talked to the "spirits" like we were old friends. We took lot's of pictures, and caught some orbs, and wierd lights. We were now ready to explore the cemetery across the street.
The rain had now stopped, so we headed out, with our flashlights and cameras. It was such a spooky experience. The hairs actually stood up on my arm and neck when I asked" Is there someone here with us" and got a cloud like response on my camera. I took many pictures, and it was there one minute and gone the next. Also lots of orbs. Of course, the moisture in the air played a big part in the "orbs", but the mist appeared upon command, then went away as quickly as it came. See my pictures I have posted.
When we arrived back to our room, not only had some of the toys been moved, but we heard noises down the hall. Could it have been Molly the cat??? Hmmm, our room was locked. It was a great night. We fell asleep with the TV on after excitedly reviewing our pictures. In the morning, we awoke to the smell of bacon frying in a pan. Carol was already downstairs preparing a fantastic breakfast. Ted and Carol joined us for breakfast which was great. We were able to tell them our experiences, and they were able to share our enthusiasm with stories of their own, and that of other former guests.
Overall, what a fun and creepy night we had. Carol and Ted were most accomodating, and pleasant. The Adelade room possibly had a ghost or two that resided there, but didn't scare us away, and let us sleep peacefully. The Inn had a really quaint charm to it, old, with a lot of character. I would definately recommend this B&B to ANYONE..Ghost Hunters, and NON-Ghost hunters alike. It is in a great location to everything in the area, but far enough away, to get some peace and quiet if you want. I would love to go back around Halloween. Anyone WHO may be alergic to cats however, be prepared, however Molly is the sweetest. I loved my stay, and am looking forward to my next.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank Timebanditts
Reviewed November 6, 2007

We always consult Tripadvisor before making travel plans, and chose Captain Grant's based on previous reviews.

Carole and Ted are wonderful hosts; friendly and willing to suggest things to do and places to see. Clearly, they both enjoy what they do. Carole is an excellent cook, and breakfast time is an experience. The food is varied and plentiful, and guests have the opportunity to chat with each other, which is fun.

We stayed in the Adelaide room since my other half fancied the idea of ghostly visitations. We experienced nothing, (which came as a relief to me), but it was interesting listening to Carole's stories of other peoples' encounters. The room is small, with very limited hanging space for clothes, but we managed O.K. The bed is one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in.

We do have a one minor criticism. We were unfortunate enough to have particularly noisy fellow house guests staying in the room below ours, who had the television blaring all night. With nothing but floorboards separating the rooms, we barely slept. This was in no way the hosts' fault, but it might be worth taking earplugs as insurance against anti-social guests.

We would definitely recommend staying here, and hope to return one day.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank EnglandTourist
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Mohegan Sun
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Uncasville
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
The Fox Tower at Foxwoods
#1 of 4 in Mashantucket

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!