“I wanted to be wowed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Norwalk, Connecticut
“I wanted to be wowed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I took my boyfriend here for the night on Saturday the 28th December. We arrived about 6:30pm and Ted was very friendly at check in and showed us around. Given the historical nature of the inn, I would have imagined we'd get a short write up of the house and the area - but we were only given a couple of maps.

Given that the main home is meant to be solely for the paying residents, the fact that the game room was used by the owners and their guests until at least 11:30pm right ABOVE our bedroom (Adelaide room) made our 'romantic' night less than restful. Also the room next to us clearly has a TV situated on the wall it shares with the Adelaide room so we heard that clearly until it was switched off at midnight. I have stayed in countless B&B's in multiple countries so my expectations of soundproofing are not unrealistic and I was assuming there would be some.

Sadly, for what I paid, I would have chosen somewhere on the coast instead.

I cannot fault them for cleanliness, location, breakfast, service. I just wasn't wowed. :(

Room Tip: Adelaide room is noisy
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank GlobalTraveler3314
CaptaiGrants, Owner at Captain Grant's, 1754, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
The guest was correct about not receiving a history of the Inn. We do have albums on the coffee table depicting the renovations and newspaper articles on the table as well. It is a great idea for us to produce these and distribute to those that want them. Thank you.
Our response on the location of the Adelaide room is as follows. The Adelaide room has no common walls with any other room. Two bathrooms separate Adelaide and Collette and a hallway separates Adelaide from Elizabeth. Above their room is an empty attic. We have a 20' x 26' extension on the back of the home. On the first floor is our kitchen. On the second floor is the billiard room that the guests talked about. The wall separating the extension and the main home is over 8" thick.
Captain Grant's was built in 1754 and is on the Nation Register of Historic Places. It is a true early American colonial. The most elegant B&Bs are the Places of Europe and Grand Victorians. With the advent of the computer, matching your expectations to a place to stay is easier than ever. All said. We are an alternative WOW.
Carol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Leominster, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

If your looking for something different and really cool this is your place. Can't say enough about Carol and Ted. They made us feel at home. Creaky old house with old fashioned beds and completely restored by Ted and Carol. The food was delicious and the ambiance was exceptional. Close to the casinos and Mystic attractios a great location. The whole ghost experience was very interesting. I surprised my wife with 2 nights here and she was delighted.

Room Tip: All he rooms are decorated like a hundred years ago and each has a gas fireplace
3 Thank dthomas420
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Nice owners who were hospitable and friendly enough but the house was a bit too "rustic" for me. The linens were not clean and neither were the bathrooms or floors. I stayed here for a bachelorette party so it wasn't much concern to me but had I gone with my significant other, I would have been pretty appalled at the rooms. I also have to be critical of the breakfast. It IS a b&b after all. The breakfast was unremarkable, with the pancakes being some of the blandest I've ever had.

It wasn't all bad though, there's a great room with a pool table and fireplace for relaxing and the kitchen is large and gorgeous. Also, the bedrooms are large and have a lot of character. I would be remiss not to mention that they shoveled off the cars after a pretty healthy snow storm. That was classy. All in all I think a few adjustments would easily make this place worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank ehub
Plant City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 30th Anniversary Nov, 2013 and stayed in the Elizabeth room at Captain Grants. The owners Carol and Ted were wonderful, the breakfast every morning was delicious and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. It is in a great location if you are visiting the Casino's. We would definately go back and stay with them again we took home some of Carol's homemade jams and they were delicious. We would recommend Captain Grants if you are planning a trip to that area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank acarapezza
Woburn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

If you are visiting this area of CT, casinos, wineries, mystic.....you will be very pleased at this great B&B...rooms are nicely decorated, with complimentary cherry, not to mention the beer and wine in the 1st floor refrigerator. The service ..one word ...fantastic...they could not do enough for us. The breakfast...WOW..eggs, pancakes, hash, etc. we will be back for certain.
Oh yeah...Although it is Haunted, we did not see anything

Room Tip: We will be going back...for sure
2 Thank Eataroundwoburn
Methuen, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Came here to this lively bed and breakfast to be close to Foxwoods and Mohegan sun casinos on a two day trip.
It was my first time staying at any type of bed and breakfast so I was not sure what to expect
We was greeted by tom when we arrived and from then on everyone one was wonderful and the breakfasts was awsum
I will be returning here for sure when I come down to the area

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Brewen4avon
Lawrence, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

had a wonderful 2 night stay here....... with wonderful owners ....and the staff very polite and helpfull, the breakfast food was awsum.. and always had snacks available.......
will defenitely return here to this lovely home when i am in the area......

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roy e
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Cristata Inn
Cristata Inn
#4 of 5 in Uncasville
4.0 of 5 stars 639 reviews

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!