“An excellent part of our New England tour”

Captain Grant's, 1754
Ranked #2 of 3 Preston B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hosts, convivial atmosphere, wonderful breakfast, full of character. My only criticism of the Inn would be slightly musty smelling towels. However this is a very old property and its character, wonderful social breakfasts and location massively outweigh the criticism.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Mike D

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Hello this is Cheryl Andros, I wanted to thank Ted and Carol for a trip I'll never forget. Ted and Carol are two of the nicest people I've ever met! To me they became like Family and we are going back . By no means is the Inn dirty and I am a clean fanatic! It's beautiful inside and out.

I can't wait to go back. God Bless you both Carol and Ted! and see you soon.Cheryl and Dave Andros. I know David wrote another review just as good but, I wanted to write one of my own.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank androscheryl
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We spent the weekend at Captains Grants and can’t wait to go back. The innkeepers, Ted and Carol made us feel right at home. Ted greeted us at our car when we arrived and got us settled. We met Carol a bit later and she was incredibly gracious. They recommended a wonderful place for us to have dinner and arranged for us to get a free dessert.

For the next three days we had fantastic breakfasts. Carol and Bob are intelligent people who kept interesting conversation going and made sure no one was left out. We ended up sitting around for several hours just talking every morning. Our room had a guide they made up with a wealth of information: places of interest, recommend restaurants, even the cheapest places to get gas. I grew up in Connecticut and had no idea there was so much to see in the area.

The 1700’s era B&B is beautifully restored. It was very clean and the rooms are lovely. Carol and Ted bent over backwards to make sure everyone was taken care of and happy. They made us feel like family, only better.

I cannot recommend Captain Grants enough. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: check out their website and the 360 tour
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed September 27, 2013

we stayed at this B&B for 14 days as we were there for family affairs. We were very comfortable staying there, oh my gosh the bed was so comfortable. The Inn is very clean and the breakfasts were fantastic. Felt like we were visiting family. The Inn Keepers, Ted and Carol, were very nice and we had many good conversations with them. Looking forward to our return visit in December.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Virginia LB B
Reviewed September 27, 2013

What a wonderful B&B. My wife and I stayed for 2 nights and did not want to leave. Carol and Tad are such beautiful and trusting people. The first night we had the entire Inn to ourselves as the owners do not stay in the Inn themselves. So we did a little Ghost Hunting and snapped a mess of pictures in the Inn and out back in the lost hidden cemetery and got tons of photos loaded with Orbs and Mists.

The breakfast's where AWESOME and the interesting thing is that Carol and Tad actually sit down to breakfast with the guests.

We highly recommend this B&B and are planning on returning. Close to the Casino's and Mystic.

Highly recommend this B&B

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David A
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I'm very sorry to say this because the inn keepers are very nice, but the fact that reviewers have told you about that the inn needs a GOOD THOROUGH cleaning and this hasn't been done upsets me. It's very dissoppointing since I'd like to return but need to know the issue is remedied. (E.G. Carpets shampooed, tubs bleached and mildew removed, and furniture moved/through washing with oil soap.) We also saw old (not new) cobwebs hanging from the ceilings as well. It makes you question if detailed cleaning as been overlooked for awhile. Maybe hiring out to a service vs doing themselves may resolve this?

• Stayed: August 2013
CaptaiGrants, Owner at Captain Grant's, 1754, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

I am sorry that this couple had a negative experience. After breakfast the guest told us of the mildew and the cobwebs. My husband does not like to hear about dirt problems and as soon as possible took the staff to the bedroom to check it out. He got into the tub, examined the jets, got out, turned on the jets and there was no problem. He checked for webs and found one. Nevertheless he told the staff to wash down the entire room. This was done. It took an hour and a half.to clean the room. The guest still saw dirt everywhere. At 9:15 we got a call that our staff had taken their charger and that they didn't have enough towels. They had received 6 new towels that morning. Our staff has been with us for over 12 years and we knew they didn't take the charger. I told the guest that he could get towels out of the storage cabinet just outside their room. I knew we would get this bad review. There was something wrong here and it wasn't us.They didn't come for breakfast the next day but left a tip?

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at Captain Grant's based on the reviews we read here. And we can't wait to go back!!! Can't say enough about how beautiful the house was. Our room was perfect, the bed so-o-o-o comfortable. Ted and Carol...so nice, so friendly...and a delicious breakfast. You can't beat the location for the casinos, Mystic, and other points of interest. Ted and Carol know how to make you feel like family...the perfect B&B. Thanks!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 'Marie'...on the small side, but we were still very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Preston
Mohegan Sun
Hampton Inn & Suites Mystic
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
Hyatt Place Mohegan Sun
#2 of 4 in Uncasville

Been to Captain Grant's, 1754? Share your experiences!