All reviewsadelaide roomother gueststhe main housenext morningwonderful hostsmystic seaportlots of historyown bathroommohegan sungame room with poolchampagne toastb bsfirst floorserved a delicious breakfastfresh fruitcarolghost
Reviewed July 10, 2012

When I go to a bed & breakfast the first thing I look for is an old house with history. I found that in this b&B for sure. Second thing I like to see is an informative inn keeper on times for breakfast in the morning, coffee etc. someone who shows you the place or at least lets you know the ins and outs of the place and this place had that. Then I like to have my privacy after all the business is done and we absolutely had that.
I loved just sitting outside on the deck and enjoying the warm summer night with my hubby and anywhere else in the inn for that matter. The game room is great. My husband and I had a couple beers and a game of pool one night then the next night we had a drink with a couple we met at breakfast that morning who were also staying at the inn.
On our last morning we had breakfast with Ted & Carol who were very friendly and truly wanted us to enjoy our stay with them. We will definatley be back again whenever we go to Mohegan or Foxwoods and next time we will bring some friends...its is a perfect place for a group of friends to go together before going out to the casinos.. beats a hotel and for the price you get so much more.
Very close to Mohegan... less than 5 minutes I believe and maybe 7-8 minutes to foxwoods...You can't go wrong staying here. The Inn is supposed to be haunted but nothing happened when we were there..We had Elizabeth room which was nice...next time I think I might like to try Amy room but all the rooms looked nice.
I loved waking up to the aroma of fresh coffee... breakfast was good both mornings and its nice that they have complimentary beer, wine & soda along with cookies and some kind of cake for a snack at all times...Thanks Ted & Carol for the hospitality. :)

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank naturelover1870
Reviewed June 25, 2012

wife and I stayed there for 3 days. rooms are ok but have very little places for luggage. spider webs were hanging from ceiling(I killed 3 spiders myself) and not sure if the other rooms had the same problem.. Breakfasts were just ok nothing special. The same cake sat on the table the 3 days we stayed.(the so called snak). We have stayed in many old B&B's and this one is on the bottom of my list. The inn keepers were very nice. It is a very old B&B and has lots of history but could use some more TLC. I did not say anything to the inn keepers about the spider webs but probably should have.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 15, 2012

I was flabbergasted when this review came up. This was a very nice couple who stayed three days, never complained, and were complimentary. I wish they had said something about their problems with us when they were here.
I will tackle breakfast first. We have had close to 30,000 guests at Captain Grant's. Virtualy everyone has conplimented us on our breakfast. All of our breakfasts include meat, eggs, juice, fruit and some type of starch such as bagels or home fries and toast. Our conpotes, home made jams and jellies are vey good. Or so say our guests.
Snacks are next. Cake lasts three day7s. Our extras inlude cake, cookies, wine, beer, soda and a carafe of sherry in the room. All are complinentary.
As far as TLC, my husband and I were more that flabbergasted. Please go on www.captaingrants.com and click on our virtual tour. There are arrows that will show you our ceilings and floors. This is a magnificent home that gets daily attention. Please see our other reviews.
Then there are the spiders. I am afraide that spiders do come and go. They build their nesrs in one day. Thankfully they are harmless and eat other bugs. We are in a country village with no one in back of us for at least a mile. You may encounter wild turkeys, deer, an eagle or two and rabbits. We have almost no night time bugs inluding mosquitoes. This is due to bat caves on Poquetanuck Cove.
Storage in the Elizabeth room has an alcove where you can hang clothes, a five foot tall narrow antique dentist cabinet and a lower three drawer cabinet. There is a bench at the end of the bed. You can see it all on our virtual tour.
Carol

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Our son purchased tickets to Ringo and his all-star band at Mohegan Sun for Fathers Day. We wanted to spend Sunday night near the casino and we always travel with our lhasa apso. When we searched pet-friendly, we found Captain Grants and booked Saturday and Sunday night. It was so welcoming and friendly that we hardly left the B&B all weekend. There are 3 patio decks where one can read and chat while having a free glass of wine. There is a pasture in back of the B&B where you and your doggie can roam. And if you're into the supernatural, there are rumors of ghosts in the house and in the cemetery adjacent to their field...spooky! The rooms are gorgeous and period, the breakfasts were extraordinary, and are our hosts were more than cordial. Not only do we want to return, we tried...but they were already booked for that night. We were disappointed to hear that but certainly understand-everyone else wants the best too. Thanks Ted and Carol for a lovely stay and hi from Yuji.

Room Tip: "Adelaide" is purported to be haunted.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2012

In March 2012, my husband and I stayed at the Captain Grant's Inn in Preston Connecticut, for our honeymoon. Though he has stayed at B&Bs before, I hadn’t but really wanted the experience. I wasn't disappointed! We stayed for three nights and loved every minute of our stay and didn't want to leave. The Inn’s is location offers a peaceful getaway, but is just a short drive from Mystic, New London and the Mohegan Sun.

Ted and carol were gracious and accommodating from the start and made us feel welcome every minute. We were going to be late arrival and they made every accommodation for our situation. Upon our arrival we discovered a pleasant note from Carol welcoming us to the Inn and found our room prepared for us. We found the atmosphere of the Inn to be warm and inviting. Our first encounter upon our arrival was the broad, grand staircase. The Inn is decorated with a marvelous selection of antiques, warm colors and murals. We stayed in the Collette room and found it to be large, with a wood beam ceiling and pleasantly decorated. The iron sleigh bed wasn’t what we expected from an inn or hotel. The bed and mattress were perfect and provided us with a comfortable and sound sleep.

The part of our stay that we looked forward to most was breakfast. Every morning Carol and Ted provided the early risers with fresh coffee and tea in the parlour while breakfast was being prepared. All the guests sat together at a large dining table that was graced with beautiful 18th century style china. The food was delicious and plentiful, with fresh fruit and a different main course every morning. What made breakfast truly enjoyable for us was the opportunity to sit over breakfast with Carol, Ted and the other guests, getting to know them and engaging in conversation that sometimes lasted past our meal.

As for ghostly encounters, guests at the inn have reported paranormal activity for years, and our stay was no different. While exploring the Adelaide room, my husband and I heard the voice of a young girl, although there were no children staying at the inn.

We have already reserved a room for November and are looking forward to our next visit. We can’t think of a better place to have spent our honeymoon. Ted and Carol have spoiled staying at other B&Bs for us, I know that we will compare all of them to the Captain Grant’s Inn.

Thanks Ted and Carol

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott J
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Ted and Carol have made a beautiful place to stay. The old house is gorgeously decorated and is comfortable to the point of homey, with a beautiful billiards room and free wine, beer, sherry, and soda. The rooms are cozy. Breakfast is very, very good and there is always plenty of food. It's an actual homemade breakfast, too. Ted and Carol are incredible hosts. They will answer any question and they're just lovely to be around. We recommend this place.

Room Tip: The Marie, the cheapest room, is quite small, but if you don't mind, it's a lovely room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple