“Fun stop”

The Vanilla Bean Cafe
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Pomfret
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Old Saybrook, CT
“Fun stop”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Some nice food choices though the prices are a bit high. That's the way it is when there's no competition anywhere nearby. Still, it's a nice place to sit down, have a sandwich and take a break.

• Visited September 2013

Wadsworth, Ohio
“Fun little place. Parking was difficult, crowded.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Which is the sign of a good restaurant. I liked the rustic, homestyle atmosphere. I was in CT visiting my son and we went to The Vanilla Bean Cafe at the recommendation of his girl friend. I totally enjoyed this place. I had a black bean burger was pretty tasty and my husband had a spinach and onion quesadilla. We were happy with the portions and the food and if in the area again, I would go back. Yes, a little on the pricey side but that is kinda what I have seen in New England. But some things are worth spending more for than going to a fast food joint.

• Visited June 2013
Westbrook, Connecticut
“Highway Robbery”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went to the Vanilla Bean yesterday with some friends because on the weekends there is a big crowd of all kinds of Motorcycles and it is a very mellow fun crowd, you can see anything from Harleys to BSA and every other bike imaginable. Well that is where the fun stops, we had lunch here on one occasion and I was not overly impressed with the food so we decided to just stop for a bottle of soda and visit for a bit. We had four 12.0z bottles of local inexpensive soda so I went to pay and had taken out a ten dollar bill well I was quite surprised when the young man looked at me and said " that will be $12.00 please" are you kidding me! This place is just ridiculously priced and this is by no means a posh local, you sit on picnic tables under a couple of pine trees.I guess I just don't get it?

• Visited June 2013
New England
“Food prices are high; but 'whatever' since you are the only area option !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

So the prices suck for the portions. Let me get that out of the way. Plus, it's not a dinner spot. It's lunchy. And I've had fresh ingredients before and 'No' they don't cost that much. But heck. Anyone in this area of CT doesn't look at food costs. So get beyond the costs of everything and enjoy a really great spot. Uber-friendly, cute staff; table seating with an outdoor area; healthy options galore; and all home made - No doubt about that. Hats off. I mean they charge whatever because they can.

• Visited May 2013
South Windsor, Connecticut
“Something Different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

The spot has grown over the 24 years it has been on this corner. You order at the counter, get a big playing card and when your food is ready they find your card and serve it. Lots of interesting sandwiches including veggy & gluten free offerings. Cape Cod Kettle Chips are served with the sandwiches, which are a local favorite. We split a rueben and had clam chowder this time. The chowder was piping hot the way I like it and had quite a few clams. We have had salads in the past and always enjoyed coming here. Don't let the bikers scare you off. These are not Hell's Angels. There were over 20 bikes there on this Saturday noon. Quiches are also a specialty and looked good.

• Visited May 2013