“Beautiful”

Sharpe Hill Vineyard
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Pomfret
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful vineyard. After the wine sampling in the backyard, we hiked up the "sharpe" hill to see the view which was beautiful because of the seasonal foliage. Worth the trip!!!

There are newer reviews for Sharpe Hill Vineyard

Reviewed September 24, 2013

First of all I must say I have visited this winery several times and most of my experiences have been good. The location is beautiful and they have a large variety of wines. That said, I was completely shocked by the poor customer service on my last visit.

I visited with friends on a busy Saturday afternoon. We were told that the outdoor tasting service would be a little slow because a party of 20 had just arrived (a bachelorette party). No big deal to us, we just wanted to relax. However, within a few minutes, the owner/manager of the vineyard came out and started an altercation with the party of 20! She accused the group of not having a reservation and asked them to please hurry up because the CT wine association was visiting that afternoon and they needed the space. The leader of the bachelorette party insisted that she had called and made a reservation 2 months ago, and the vineyard owner continued to argue with her. This went on for about 15 minutes, while my friends and I (and the other patrons) looked on in shock. The poor bride-to-be was on the verge of tears. Other Sharpe Hill staff joined in to back up the owner, arguing loudly with members of the bachelorette party. Eventually the group left in a huff, and when they asked to get a refund, the owner vehemently insisted that they would NOT be recieving a refund.

My friends and I were so shocked at the owner's boorish manners and extremely poor customer service. This is supposed to be a winery, not a dive bar. I would have been absolutely mortified to be treated this way. I used to enjoy visiting Sharpe Hill but now that I see the quality of the management here, I don't think I will be returning.

4  Thank Kelcey J
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Don't trust your GPS to give you the fastest route. I did and traveled through miles of residential neighborhoods before we found the vineyard.

Beautiful grounds, wonderful hosts, gorgeous decorations. Great wines. What else is there?

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The location is beautiful, the wine wonderful, and the vibe perfect. We live very close to it and it's still a treat.
And don't forget the restaurant, which is top shelf.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We visited this winery this weekend and it was absolutely romantic bliss. I would love to see it at night. We did the full tatsing which is 12 wines for $12 and were soomewhat worried that that would be to many althoug we were reassured by Ali that it is a controlled pour so the full flight yields about a glass and a half. After hearing that we were definitely more relaxed since we had to drive home. The range and depth of the wines is incredible and I am definitely not a red wine person but the rose was quite lovely as well as another of the reds. They did have quite a few beefy ones and the Ballet of Angels which is their signature white was to die for..crisp , clean , not to sweet or dry. The dessert wines BOTH were absolute heaven!! We arrived in the parking lot and went into the antique building which was gorgeous!!! To the right of the entrance is a private tasting room that looks to beautiful to use but is used for smaller groups that want to taste together. You then proceed to the counter to purchase your tasteing. The gentleman at the counter was very personable and generous with his smile as were all of the staff. We were then told to head out to the seated areas under the trees and someone would be along to start our tasting. We took a spot under the trees and a very brilliantly smiled girl came over introduced herself and we started the tasting. We were blown away by how young she was and her ease and knowledge with the wines was incredible. Her mother happened to be stopping by and asked if she could sit with us. We said sure and it was one of the best things ever!!! We had great conversation, she loaned us a guidebook for a upcoming trip we had this winter, we learned a lot about the history of not only the winery but the local area which we love! This is an a plus winery with a lot to offer and it is easy to see why it is a hallmark winery...they have it all!! I went to the restrrom which is quite lovely and filled with antiques and remembrances of some of the other businesses in the area. Coming back from the bathroom I noticed and absolutely delicious aroma and asked if I could have a look around in the restarurant. It was explained that I had actually walked through it on my way to and from the counter area and that the portion I was seeing and asking to explore was actually their service area for the servers to quickly get various items for the diners and that of course I could peek around in there. I did then go have a peek and then was curious about the upstairs as doing the tasting Ali had pointed out the artwork on the bottles and that one of the pieces of artwork was actually from a painting that had been found in the restaurant and was actually still hanging there. When I walked into the serving area a gentleman greeted me with a big smile and I asked if the top floor was closed and he replied it was but if I could just wait one minute while he took something to a guest he would take me up to look at it. WHAT!!! I patiently waited and up we went and what a beautiful room it is with double fireplaces and beautiful artwork. He explained that is inclement weather and during the winter months they have the meals up there and went on to describe how warm and wonderful it is in the winter and that we should definitely come back during that times as they have special events. I then meandered back happily to my tasting where we were asked if we needed to retaste anything to help us determine if there were wines we wished to purchase. She also let us know that we needed to take our glasses back to the purchase counter where we would recive clean new ones to take with us as they were apart of our tasting. that Overall I have to say that I love my tripadvisor and there were mixed reviews on here that the staff was not overly friendly and somewhat stuffy. All of which we found to be completely untrue. This appears to be an elegant , well run fully established winery with a congenial staff. There was not one person who didn't greet us with a smile and a glad you are here. I looked ta the menue and the offerings were amazing. Everything on the menu is fresh fresh fresh and they only buy what they think they can realistically use over the weekend..on Sundays whatever is left over is cooked and given to the staff. This is exactly the type of business we love to support and frequent time and time again. Local folks doing for local folks in an amazing way!!! A must do!!