“Getting more and more expensive”
Review of Bali T House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lodtunduh
Bali T House
Ranked #3 of 5 Lodtunduh B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2011

There are two sites of T House (klod and kaja) and they are different. T house klod is in my opinion better than kaja. In Thouse Kaja there is a lot of water that attracts mosquitos and other nasty insects. T Houses are quite basic, but they very much OK if you don't need any frills. However pricing was very reasonable but now is fast getting more and more unreasonable. It seems that T House suffers from it's success. And yes, they have Wifi as well, but prepare for a surcharge. Overall I would rate this place average: main reason it's (getting) overpriced. Prices have more than doubled in the past 4 years.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank HenriHolland

Reviewed August 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed in two properties at the T House complex for a week in all. The first was Jasmine at Kaja. On first impressions it was quaint and charming. Upon closer inspection it became clear that this property has obviously been neglected for quite some time. It really does need some TLC spent on it by the owner. The layout of the house is good and it is serviceable, however, the indoor living area is poorly lit, the cushions old, dirty and inadequate so it was certainly not an option to sit in at night. The bathroom was also quite dirty and needed some work on it. We spent most of our time whilst there sitting in the outside living area but unfortunately there were some fairly selfish neighbours who spent most of their time there speaking at the tops of their voices and 'skyping' their family very loudly. They could also see straight down into our sitting area so privacy was an issue.
There was also a building site next door and the sound of building was prevalent all day, even on Sunday!
Having said all this, we did enjoy our time once we settled into the feel of the place. The staff were lovely, always helpful and polite. The grounds were kept neatly and the swimming pool was a great asset to the property.
We moved mid-way through our stay down to Lemongrass at Klod. Again, the property was a little 'off the boil' in terms of upkeep, but we really enjoyed this property as it was situated on the edge of the rice paddy and had much better living areas to relax in. The beds in this house were very hard, however. We enjoyed the 'in-house' breakfast service and appreciated the daily house keeping.
We were very happy to be out of Ubud, away from the congested roads and retail mania that has become Ubud. What a shame, as we have stayed there on two occasions before (albeit 10 years ago) and loved the feel of the town. Unfortunately busloads of Chinese and Japanese tourists arrive daily and the infrastructure just doesn't cope. We managed to have a relaxing stay and only went into Ubud for meals and galleries etc. It was a cheap taxi ride each time (30,000 rp) and so was not an issue.
We loved the situation of the T houses - being in the village - and so we were immersed in watching the day-to-day activities of the locals. Whether it was the children flying kites, little girls doing the family washing outside their compounds, the men sitting preening their roosters in the evening, the local stall holders selling their wares, the dogs and chooks and activities in the rice paddies, it was all so lovely.
It was a pity that the only time that we met Wayan, the Manager, was when we had to pay our bill at the end of our stay. It would have been fitting for him to welcome us to the houses and to offer help and advice. We were left in the dark a lot and had to find our own way. There was no information in Jasmine house but we did find a sheet that was quite helpful in Lemongrass.
Over all, our stay was very relaxing in a culturally interesting and charming setting. We certainly weren't looking for slick, western style resort accommodation and so the T houses met our needs well.

Room Tip: choose a house fronting the rice paddies
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nino30
Reviewed August 5, 2011

My experience at Bali Thouse was far from expectable. The service was terrible and substandard compared to other similar places I stayed in Ubud. The furnishings were old and worn and beds quite hard with musty smelling linen. The villa was not cleaned very well with cobwebs in bathroom and lounge room. It is a long way out of town and hard to get taxi from. The villas are not secure and I had dogs and villages wondering through our entrance at all hours. Would not recommend for females travelling solo as it is also poorly lit. the day I were leaving staff cleaned room and put other people's luggage in bed room before I had even showed and packed my bags this was 1hr before advised Check out time. When complained staff were rude and just told me to harry up. I had payed a deposit direct to owner on paypal lucky I brought our print out with us as on leaving they tried to tell me I had paid less. To top it off 4 days after I left I got a very rude email from owner acusing me of damaging the back door and not telling anyone, which was just simply not true. The way I was treated by owner and staff was not exceptable. Do not stay at these villas lot better similar priced villas around Ubud.

• Stayed: July 2011
6  Thank Indygo99
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We stayed in Kamanta T House with four adults and two small children. The location is charming, close to the ricefields with an infinity swimming pool. But we have been quiet disappointed by the house. It has not been maintained well and was also dirty. We did not really feel to prepare our own meals there. Our impression was, that is used to be better and starts to be quiet run down. What is important to know when you book a place at the T Houses is, that you need a car or motorbike as it is too far from the center. Also, if you book, ask to the owner for a precise description of how to get there, as it is not so easy to find.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank katiaengel
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We were a little shocked when we arrived as this guest house/accommodation was not what we had pictured from the internet. It is very basic with open air living room/kitchen. The bedrooms had mosquito nets and lockable doors, outside shower/toilet with cold water only. I thought this was pricey for what we got. We went into Ubud and came back late in the evening. It was so dark getting to the area and I would not recommend this place for women travelling alone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lanymor
Reviewed July 24, 2011

T House is an awesome place to stay... I've stayed at 3 of the T Houses. Hibiscus House is my all time favorite because it is right on the rice paddies with an amazing view, it's private, absolutely peaceful, and really well set up. The owners have thought of everything to make it really comfortable, but it still has that great Bali feeling. The 2 complete bathrooms with outside showers are magic, there are beautiful Bali stone carvings and statues, and the upstairs loft is perfect for a private getaway to do some work, take a nap, or just read.
I also love their fish pond and you just can't beat being right on the rice paddies. I couldn't tear my self away from watching the village life pass by... kids flying kites, workers in the paddies, villagers carrying their day's work balanced on their heads. The sound of the water trickling past the balcony is really soothing and relaxing.
The staff at T House are super nice and helpful and love the morning breakfast & the daily offerings. It's located near enough to Ubud but also right in the middle of a village which is the real Bali, so you get a taste of real Bali lifestyle.
I'd recommend T House to anyone, and especially love Hibiscus House for the view, comfort, and really good vibe.

Room Tip: Hibiscus has a great view and is more private than some of the others.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I took my good friends to T House, which I have stayed at before, and chose Hojoki as it had 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I took the bedroom with the outdoor shower, while my friend with the kids took the other room in case creepy crawlies freaked them out as the second room had an indoor bathroom. The rooms are small but adequate, and it was useful to have 2 bathrooms. The ducks came right up to the living room, as did a friendly dog and cat, so it was great for the kids to commune with rural life so accessibly. The only thing that bothered the kids, as the toddler was crawling, was that you can't help prevent ants coming in from the rice fields. A small thing. Not an issue for adults. The living area was large and comfortable.

Breakfast is cooked in your villa, with choice of eggs, toast or banana pancakes, with a plate of fruit. Service was discreet. Wifi is strong at Hojoki. Transport to Ubud center was by car for 50,000 Rp each way. Komang who leads the household staff also does a good in-room massage for a reasonable price (I forget now but about 100,000 Rp). Laundry was very cheap, less than US$2 for a handful. We enjoyed coming home to the peaceful little place, and the kids enjoyed the pool while the adults enjoyed the ricefield walks.

Minuses - did not like the cobbled stone pathways to the villa for both kids and adults. But could live with them. Staff could have left some lights on when we returned at night and had to fumble for keys in the dark and fumble for light switches. However, that said, T House staff are superb, friendly and helpful. Once we told them, the lights came on. Marita, the owner of Hojoki, also left a very useful information sheet for us to direct us to good places to eat, get a massage, find transport etc. We also went to Yoga Barn for yoga classes in the morning. Fab.

Pluses - lovely way to have a holiday and enjoy living along the locals and see their real way of life. Even the kids settled after a day to the insects and animal sounds. We all slept really well, and my friends said it was the best sleep they ever had. Hojoki is also on the ricefields with a lovely breeze -- the villa comes with only fans and they were sufficient. We also didn't have the smell of manure as some said they had, seeing as the project is set amidst ricefields and farming activities. At $70 a night for 2 rooms, Hojoki and the T-House setting is a steal. I keep going back....

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends