“It pains me to lower my stars to three ”

J Timothy's Taverne
Ranked #1 of 76 Restaurants in Plainville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This is one if my favorite restaurants and I was looking forward to an authentic Irish meal on this St Paddy's Day weekend. I was tasting the corned beef and cabbage all the way here. It is a Saturday night and we had to park in another lot because this place is jumping. After an hour wait we were seated downstairs. I ordered my favorite coffee, they make the best, and the corned beef special. The wife ordered the grilled vegetable ravioli. We were surprised that both dinners came with nice salads. The bread as warm and fresh and tasted great. Everything good so far. The disappointment came with our dinners. My corn beef was very fatty and highly marbled. I should have asked for lean. The ravioli wasn't grilled but the vegetables were but tasted fine. We will come back if only for the great onion soup and chicken wings.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

The Teriyaki wings are absolutely amazing and the staff is so nice. The foos always comes out quickly.

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Maybe it's just me being a shepherd's pie snob, but I'd like to think I can spot a generally good one too. I went with ny boyfriend a few nights ago and after the glowing review he'd given it, I thought we were in for the meal and beer of a lifetime.
Sadly, this was not to be.
He ordered the pork tenderloins which he said were fantastic. My shepherd's pie was good without being great. I didn't finish it however. They don't skimp on portion size.
The beer selection is alright. He's a beer snob, but I'm more middle of the road. You have all the favourites, plus a decent craft beer selection.
The service was awful. It was Monday night but as the rest of the reviewers have stated: packed. We took a seat at the bar instead of the 45 minute wait for a table (bank holiday weekend).
The bartender was on her own but not inclined to do very much actual work. She served three groups who got to the bar after us before she took our drinks order. She didn't check up on us to get us more drinks or to see if our meal was going well. It almost seemed as if she was deliberately avoiding eye contact in case she'd have to do something.

I'd go back to try the wings. No boneless on the menu from what I could gather. But possibly worth a visit.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

we use to love J Timothy's pub atmosphere and food. not any more, on our last visit, it was down hill from the hostess to the waitress, to the food itself. no one was friendly or seemed they wanted to be there. the main dining room smelled of urine and looked as if it hasnt been cleaned forever, the tables were dirty, the sticky plastic table covers are disgusting, the silverware had crusted food from previous diners and the food was overcooked. our waitress couldnt be bothered,to give good service. the best thing on the table was the bread and butter, very sad. glad i didnt waste money on gift cards at Christmas time, will not be returning any time in the near future, unless we hear changes were made.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

j timothys is absolutely amazing. especially the dirt style hot wings are very good, i will recommend this place.