“I was really impressed!”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Plainville
Trumbull, Connecticut
“I was really impressed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

We stayed here for the weekend of the Hot Air Balloon Festival. This was our first time ever staying at a Fairfield Inn. I was pleasantly surprised! The room was a good size but the bathroom was huge. The hotel is either new or newly refurbished. Everything was in excellent condition. The staff was so friendly and helpful! When we returned early evening, we were very surprised to find free hot cookies at the front desk. The free breakfast is also very nice. The hotel was really quiet and the beds were very comfy, so we had a great night sleep. The only negatives are the pool is very small, the elevator was extremely slow and I got over charged for some advil that I bought at the front desk. Even though it was marked $1.39, I was charged $2.13 and the clerk said "sorry, I've never seen the price on the product before so that's the price you have to pay". Normally, I would have asked to talk to the manager due to principal but I didn't have the energy to argue. Oh, and the balloon festival is well worth attending. Free admission and free parking!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was there midweek with my wife and 2 toddlers. We did the Lake Compounce package which included two adult admissions to the amusement park. This alone save us $30 on park admission. Very nice modern updated room. We did use the pool which is small but we were the only ones in it. Breakfast was good and not crowded. Staff was very friendly and we took their advice on where to eat dinner and were happy with where they told us.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank FatherOfTwins40
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

The receptionist asked where we were visiting from and when I said Chicago, she responded with a shocked “what on earth are you doing in Plainville?” It was simple- my elderly mother grew up nearby and asked for a sentimental tour of her childhood. The area is noticeably bereft of anywhere decent to stay so we were grateful to have booked the Fairfield early as it was apparently sold out over the weekend.

I love the name of the town which is somehow so very fitting (sorry if that offends anyone). There simply isn’t much to do in the vicinity save chain stores in megamalls and very mediocre restaurants (even the fawned over and very crowded J. Timothy’s was a huge letdown). That being said, there was nothing plain about the hotel in the least. Although the exterior is basic 2.5* chain architecture, once inside there is a surprising sense of color and vibrancy in the design. Public areas are spacious and the general sense is that somehow this just isn’t a typical chain property. Yes, a happy hotel interior with bold colors and textures. Add to the mix an extremely friendly and helpful staff and an inclusive extensive continental breakfast hosted by a lovely woman- so lovely we actually tipped her- helping to create a very pleasant stay indeed. Don’t forget to look in the minifridge on the breakfast bar for decent microwave quiche along with fresh fruit cups and many yogurt options. Other notable features- good coffee is served all day with hot cookies available in the afternoon, above average rooms (altho on the small side) with comfortable beds and a decent bathrooms too (these are actually very Marriott in appearance).

To be honest, there were some misses too- an unusable fitness room, a tiny pool which is easily overwhelmed by just a few children and one of our rooms was noisy due to a staircase which ran along it. These were easily forgiven due to the many positive aspects. This hotel, especially considering the price, lived up to all the hype. Even with a few glitches, this hotel deserves very high praise.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SteveDesign
San Rafael, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

I had stayed here in Summer 2010 and can agree with much of Jeffery T's review above. Good value for the money - safe hotel layout, everything new and colorful and only a few bucks more than the heavily trafficked and rundown motels on Queen St. in Southington.

Went back the first week of June 2011 and had major problems with the management. Had booked a few months earlier at a killer rate ($69 / night for 5 nights) but when I got there they said my reservation was cancelled. Had told them at booking that I'd be a late arrival (AM) because of taking a red-eye from the west coast. Also called them the day before and told them to hold the room and I'd be checking in at about 9AM.

Not only did they cancel my reservation for that night - they canceled it for the entire five nights! My impression is that they were dying to re-sell the rooms at a higher price. I had to speak to the manager, brag about my 20+ years of Marriott Rewards membership and threaten to call the corporate line before they finally gave me my reservation back. Even so, ended up with two queens instead of the king I booked (obviously they sold my room). Thieves.

I'm summary, the rooms are pretty good but don't trust the management here and don't expect good service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank spicetrder
Fairfieldplainville, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write about our hotel - we appreciate your feedback and we apologize for the inconvenience.

While it is very seldom that our guests experience room issues, we do take your comments very seriously. I’m so sorry for the inconvenience and on behalf of our staff I would like to say that this is NOT our normal process. But, as you were here before, and based on other posts here, you know this is not our standard practice.

Once again, we are grateful for your candid comments. I trust that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you during your next visit
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Clean hotel with nice lobby. Rooms are clean but very basic. Breakfast area was Packed so we skipped. Pool is very very small. Nothing wrong with hotel just seems average.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Overall pleasant stay and very accomodating staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Madison
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Had someone a floor above where the floor sounded like it was going to cave in.

Otherwise the place was okay.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plainville
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol, Connecticut
Hampton Inn & Suites Hartford/Farmington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Southington
Farmington Inn
Farmington Inn
#3 of 7 in Farmington
Extended Stay America - Hartford - Farmington
Homewood Suites Hartford Farmington

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Plainville? Share your experiences!