“Amazing Island Holidays”

Robinson Club Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Villingili
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed there for 7 days and had a great time. Amazing food and great friendly atmosphere overall. Bungalows are very spacious and have a wonderful beach just infront of it.
We loved it and definately will visit again.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Hanimin

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Looked at several surf schools and decided on this one because of the friendliness of staff members and great prices. It was fantastic from beginning to end. Have 17 yr old twin girls and they were both surfing by the time the lesson was over. Highly reccommend OUTRAGEOUSn SURF SCHOOL

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jharr80952
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We had our honeymoon at Robinson Club Maldives. Long before going there, I have spent days on tripadvisor reading all the pros and cons about the resorts in Maldives. The reason that I chose Robinson Club was that it was a quite new resort, with full board included at the price. Later, I never regretted about chosing this resort.
After landing at Male airport, some guy from Robinson met us at the exit and took us to a lounge to wait the local plane. The lounge was very good, comfortable and refreshing, making you feel special. After an hour spent there, we took the local plan and after a 55 mins travel over the sea, again some other guy from Robinson met us at the local air port, carried our luggages and took us to boat. Again after travelling about 20 mins, we reached the dock, where the guys from Robinson with the GM, met us with fresh fruit, drinks and sparkling wine. Check-in was processed quickly and a golfcar took us to our garden villa.
Although the garden villa is the cheapest option at the resort, the room was spacious and we had a terrace and an open-air bartroom with an open air rain shower, jakuzzi bath and an inside shower. As a honeymoon couple we were offered a bottle of sparkling wine and a fruit plate.
All over the island you can walk without your slippers, the sand is white, tiny and with out any coral piece which will cut your feet. The garden villa guests do not have a specific sunbed at the beach but there were many and we didnt bother using someone elses since most of them were not occupied. And also garden villa guests can use the bed without numbers... We had spent our time at different parts of the beach and it was mostly like a private beach, the beds are far from each other and you are not packed in a small area. The beach was always clean, some guys keep it cleaned all day.
Food was excellent! In a holiday, I really care about the food and it was as if we had our meals in a high class restaurant. The food was fresh, delicious, and the variety was wide. The drinks served during the meals were free, we drank lots of wine and beer and they were not cheap ones.
During or stay, at the main bar, there was always an activity, like a small concert or casino night. Also, everynight, the room keeper left a program of the next day, and it gives the schedule of the yoga or pilates program, the evening program at the main bar etc. Everyday there was an activity for healthy-living. I could not participate in any but if we had stayed longer I would love to.
The staff was really nice, mostly male and maldivians.. The administative parts were multinational, since Robinson is a German Holiday Club chain.
The swimming pool looks nice but we never tried it, since it is just an imitation of the beautiful sea, which you can have at Maldives.
We had took a photograph session, and spent about one hour at the island with Ahmet, the photographer of the island, took our photos.. We are very glad to have it done, since now we have very beautiful pictures from our honeymoon... :)
As for the diving, the resort has an awesome housereef, and we dived once with the equipments and did snorkelling everyday. Openwater diving was not very cheap. But it worths for at least once since underwater is very colorful and with lots of different spicies.
We unfortunately visited the doctor for once. My husband catch a cold and doctor gave him some pills... It was not cheap either. The visit to doctor was 40 USDs except taxes, and also the medicine he gave doesnt seem to worth the price we payed, I think it was something liike 30 USDs. So you better not get sick.
The guests were from different ages, not just honeymooners but also diver groups or families with children.. Most of them were from Germany, but not all...
There is also a small souvenir shop where you can find some elegant things.
One more thing is that, like all other tropical islands, there are many lizards but small ones on the island. Luckily, until last day I havent saw any one in our room. But on our last day I saw one on the wall, I left the room and informed the reception about it, and they said they would take it out. Anyway, I don't know if they did it or it just went away but I didn't see it again. Still, one should keep in mind that you can always see a lizard in the room. In terms of other animals, we saw a few chameleon and big fruit bats, but they are harmless.
The sunset was very beautiful, the best I have ever seen I think (at least better than Santorini) You can see the sunset at the sunset beach bar, where there is lovely music and drinks.
To sum up, I can say that the only shortcoming is the long distance to reach the island. But I still think that it is better than the other islands which can be reached by speed boat from Male airport, since it is far from airplanes and neighbor islands...
I want to definitely come back again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
12  Thank ozlem-burak
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Stayed for a week in June. No rain which is apparently lucky for time of year. Very hot. Travellers should be aware that this hotel is far from male and involves a flight then a boat after you arrive in male. Meals are buffet style most of the time except gala night. Says drinks included with meals but sometimes waiters seemed reluctant to offer more drinks. House reef well worth snorkelling around. Mainly Chinese and japanese tourists. Bar deserted most evenings. German hotel so kept getting people speaking to us in German and only spoke in Chinese and German when doing announcements at gala night. Well worth getting the photographer to take a set of photos for you around island. Our garden villa was nice a spacious. Beware getting lost in the dark when wandering around sandy paths around the island. Also beware of getting bitten. I got terrible bites to my legs and usually never get bitten. Also beware getting cut on the corral - don't get too close, and reef sharks ! The other strange that happened when I was there was the receptionist asked when I arrived, and the senior waiter asked if I was pregnant ! I thought this was a bit rude to ask anyway but I wasn't and I am not at all overweight, but this made me very paranoid that they all thought I was and wasn't exactly conducive to a romantic holiday!

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank CLMCG
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We booked online and paid $500 a night for the garden view then upgraded to $1100 a night for the ocean villa.
Positives are the food is awesome, unlimited beer and wine at meals, staff are great and of course the island is paradise. The pool area was very nice as well.
The things that I felt really turned me off were the facilities themselves. The first night we couldnt turn the lights off inside the room without the fan also going off. The next morning they found an electrician who changed the switch but no offer was made to compensate us. Next I noticed light coming through the exterior door. Upon looking closer, the wood joints in the door were so loose as to allow light in between them. Next going for breakfast, I tripped on the boardwalk around the pool and many of the wood decking boards are either rotted or lifting up. This is a brand new resort. In the dining room, many of the tiles are simply lifting off the mortar and you can actually rock back and forth on some of the tiles. It was almost as if they hired the cheapest contractor possible to do the work of building the resort.
Upon upgrading to the ocean villa, first thing was the outdoor jacuzzi had no hot water available. The bed wasn't particularly comfortable and it just felt really plain for the money. I was expecting to be blown away by luxury but instead just felt ripped off. I simply fail to understand how someone can spend this amount of money on a room and be satisfied by anything other than perfection. Who puts plastic reclinining chairs at an $1100 a night room?

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
27  Thank mikewm4300
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We hoped to be fascinated from maldives itself since this was our first time but this one week was undescribable. The island is like heaven on earth. The place is blended to the natural surroundings. You think the facilities are built right into the trees. You feel like you are on an island rather than a holiday resort. We were in beach bungalows which opens directly to beach. The room has very high ceilings which is great. Open air bathroom concept is quite genius. It is interesting to see colorful tiny lizards almost everywhere.
Snorkeling is incredible. The diversity of fish underwater just blows you away. Baby sharks come to very shore afternoon. You can observe them just by walking down the beach. Although it was low season it only heavily rained once and it was 3am in the morning. The staff smiles all the time. Everyone of them is as if selected exclusively. Excellent staff. Even the simplest pasta tastes incredible. Das edel experience -dinner at beach- was a delight. Our only minor complaint may be there is almost no cheese at breakfast which we didn't care later on. This place is beyond reality. We definitely want to come back in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011
5  Thank ozdirek
Reviewed July 2, 2011

I spent a lot of time researching resorts in the Maldives. It's such an expensive journey I wanted to ensure we were getting as much bang for our buck. The most important criteria for us was an awesome house reef and affordable over water bungalow. We were traveling with an 11 month old so it was important to be able to enjoy breathtaking views of the water from the comfort of our villa plus, while the baby napped, I wanted to be able to jump into the water and go snorkeling, without taking a boat, or swimming/walking far away. We narrowed it down to 2 resorts (after months of hemming and hawing) picked the Robinson Club, despite having fewer reviews. We definitely made the right decision!

The Robinson Club only recently opened in Dec 2010 so it has less reviews but it also has nicer facilities. You aren't paying a premium for a "brand" name resort. It is classified as a 4 star but in my opinion it was nicer than many 5 star hotels I've stayed at. The overwater bungalows are a bargain compared to other resorts and frankly far superior to other photos I saw online. My son (and I) absolutely loved the glass bottom floor- you could see fish swimming under your room! It had a huge private deck to look out onto the endless ocean. Had an outside jacuzzi for 2= heaven. Very large villa with vaulted ceilings and tasteful decor. Large bathroom with another tub looking outside. Stairs from private deck lead into the reef with tons and tons of fish. I could not tell you the variety of species and number of fish, sharks, and turtles we saw. Both my husband and I are divers and we were happy just to snorkle around the island.

The food was fantastic. The resort has a healthy lifestyle option (fitness/gym, food) and lots of other decadent options. One night we did a private candle light lobster dinner on the beach. Probably the most romantic atmospheric dinner of our lives. The stars were brilliant. The service excellent.

In general I would not saw the resort is kid-friendly (no kid club except during school holidays for older kids) but all the staff were incredibly sweet and loving towards my son. The one down side to the resort (and most all the resorts in the Maldives) is the lengthy travel. The Robinson Club was very accommodating, providing the upgraded waiting lounge at the Male airport but the domestic flight schedule is out of their control so on our last day we had a very early morning transfer. Which was a real shame as I would have loved to spend as much time on the island as possible. However, all the islands that require a domestic flight and even some with the sea plane can have up to a 4 or 5 hour transfer. For children and babies, it's really tough. For those parents considering a resort, do factor in the unpredictability when choosing a resort. A speed boat transfer may be easier from Male.

Overall, I'm so glad we picked Robinson Club and I recommend it highly to everybody I know. The value (for the Maldives) can not be beat. Considering food, beer, and wine is included in the room rate you are saving a bundle compared to the other a la carte resorts. And trust me you are not sacrificing service or quality.

Thank you Robinson Club for an incredible time!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
15  Thank Global_Food_Phanatic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Villingili
AYADA Maldives
AYADA Maldives
#1 of 1 in Maguhdhuvaa
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resort
Outrigger Konotta Maldives Resor...
#3 of 3 in South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
#2 of 3 in South Huvadhoo (Gaafu Dhaalu) Atoll
Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa
#1 of 1 in Hadahaa Island

Been to Robinson Club Maldives? Share your experiences!