Tripadvisor

Reserve a Table
Wed, 2/26
8:00 PM
Ranked #14 of 28 Restaurants in Oxford
Description: Award Winning and locally Owned and Operated, the Oxford House Tavern offers delicious American Cuisine located in the Historic Oxford House. Weather you're looking for a great family atmosphere or a more private table, The Oxford House has beautiful old world charm. Built in 1795, the Oxford House Inn is one of the oldest inns in Connecticut. Come visit the Tavern and have a pleasurable dining experience.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We had a great lunch here with 3 others, and were very impressed with the portions and the price. I would highly recommend this nice little tavern.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank T6029UVcaseys
Write a reviewReviews (32)

Reviewed January 10, 2020

Visited here for lunch, and was pleasantly surprised. The service was excellent, and the drinks were perfect, I had a cosmo.We shared the surf and turf kabob. It was a great display. tasted even better. Hope to return.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank dawnaU8296CK
Reviewed December 19, 2019 via mobile

Was at Oxford House with a large group of friends. About 30 people. We made reservations in advance for a Monday late afternoon. We were assured that they could accommodate us. Upon arriving we were told that they had a new waitress on the floor, her first time serving. Arrived at 4:15. Meals were delivered to our tables haphazardly, some served after a normal wait but some at the same table weren’t served until others were finished eating. One person was served as we were leaving at 6:30, and this was after a 2 hour wait and he only ordered a hamburger. Another gentleman never got his dinner but to add insult to injury, he did get a check at the end of the night!
When the gentleman who made our reservation asked to speak to the manager, someone from the kitchen came out to talk to him and said that the problem with the service was because we requested separate checks for each couple. So apparently it was our fault !
This was the first time coming to this restaurant for some of the people in the group and you can bet they will not be returning after this bad impression. The typical pub food is good but good service is so important to entice folks to return. Orders should be given to the kitchen according to table number so that everyone at your table gets served at the same time, even though you ask for separate checks.

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank 799jeannet
Reviewed December 17, 2019 via mobile

We stopped by for a quick dinner. I had a cup of chilly and the Oxford Burger. My wife had a cheese burger and my sins girlfriend had the Guacamole Burger. The were cooked to protection. The atmosphere was pleasant. The service was excellent. We will definitely stop by again and try other dishes.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 15, 2019 via mobile

Recently moved to Oxford Ct

First try at this restaurant and it was bad! Sat for 40 minutes to get our food. My appetizer never came.
My stuffed shrimp was 97% bread crumbs. My wife had fish that was inedible! The taste of bad oil was overwhelming.
Being in the restaurant business for years, it was obvious that there was no professional chief in the kitchen.
Strike this one off the list.

Date of visit: November 2019
E Z, Owner at The Oxford House Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2019

I’m sorry that you’ve had a bad experience here with us. I’m shocked to hear that the food was not up to our normal standards , our chef has over 30 years experience , and this will be brought to his attention. We use a crab cake stuffing , and not bread crumbs, being in the business I would have appreciated a chance to speak with you while you were here. You can email me directly at edzulali@gmail.com. I’d like to know more about your visit and how we can improve.