“Wasabi is consistently good”
Review of Wasabi

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I have been going to Wasabi for years and service there has always been attentive and good. Food is great. I recommend rolls - even basic rolls have generous amount of fish in them, so do not need to go with special rolls. Appetizers are smaller portions and I feel are overpriced.

Reviewed September 12, 2010

We were delighted to find Wasabi while visiting UNH. The service was excellent and friendly, and the sushi delicious. We enjoyed great appetizers; gyoza, salmon and crab cakes, and seaweed salad. The quality of the seafood was on par with some of the most high end sushi restaurants in NYC and San Fransisco that I've experienced. Horse mackerel (Aji) was amazing, as was Red Dragon roll, Crispy Tuna and everything else we tried. Will definitely be back!

Reviewed September 25, 2009

Wasabi has some of the freshest, most delicious Japanese cuisine in the area (upper Fairfield/Lower New Haven counties.) I've been going there for about 3 years, ever since the New York Times gave them three stars. The place is not particularly fancy (it probably was an old Chinese-American restaurant at one point - long & narrow, with red leather booths) & it's in a strip mall - but the food is first-rate. Super-fresh fish, lots of interesting choices on the menu, lovely desserts, and warm and friendly staff. We have never been disappointed. It's not cheap (as one other reviewer has pointed out) but neither is it overly expensive, and for this quality it's worth it. They also have fresh, real, wasabi (a small surcharge for a large portion) which is something no one else seems to have anymore. Lots of choices for non-sushi lovers too. Go there, sit back and relax, and have a delicious meal.

Reviewed May 19, 2009

I like Wasabi. I wish it weren't in a tiny little ho-hum strip mall on the Post Road, sandwiched between Auto Zone, TGIFridays and gas stations... but whatever. They manage to maximize the relatively small space they have inside, and you kind of forget where you are once you're seated inside, sipping on hot green tea or a nice cold Sapporo.

My favorite roll here is the Pink Lady roll- shrimp tempura, spicy tuna and avocado wrapped in pink seaweed in an elliptical shape. Sooo yummy.

The menu is definitely more pricey than you'd expect given the obscure location and small, mom-and-pop feel of the place. I went in for lunch yesterday; I was the only guest in the place. I looked at the menu and noticed the "lunch" menu was served until 3- I looked at my watch and it was 3:20-something. All I wanted was a small salad, spicy tuna roll and a shrimp roll- which I could've gotten as a lunch combo for half the price I ended up paying, but apparently it was too late. (Seriously? There was NOBODY ELSE there!) 20 minutes made a big difference in the size of the dent in my wallet! I ended up having to pay for each item separately & full-price, as opposed to as a money-saving combo.

Aside from that, everything else was as good as I've had it before. My waitress was attentive and prompt. My salad was a nice beginning for the meal- it had tiny slices of cucumber and a tasty, mayonaise-based ginger dressing that wasn't too heavy and had red tobiko mixed into it. However, it was mostly iceberg lettuce, which seems to be the .
standard for most run of the mill sushi joints. I wish more sushi places would use mesclun greens like Miso in New Haven. Their salad (and dressing) is to die for!

My sushi was fresh and hit the spot. The spicy tuna was a nice bright red, and they put some tempura crunchies into the roll to give it a little texture. The shrimp tempura was a bit heavy but I considered it my guilty indulgence for the day.

In summation, Wasabi has good clean sushi, a blah location, average interior, good service. They stay open between lunch and dinner, which is good if you find yourself craving a late lunch or early dinner! If you ever want a fun night out with your girlfriends, go to Wasabi, get some Pink Lady rolls, drink some sake, and then go a few doors down in the same plaza to Martini's for karaoke. Last I checked they do it like, every night of the week! It's a hole in the wall but a good place to get some booze in ya and unleash your inner rock star.

Reviewed May 13, 2009

The quality of the sushi is excellent. The service however is severely lacking. Me and my two friends were insulted last week by the hostess. She came to our table and asked why we didn't give the waitress a bigger tip. Not only that. but she had the audacity to bring the tip back to the table, so we could add to it!

The tip was a sufficient amount. Even if it wasn't this behavior was completely out of line and very unprofessional. I will never frequent this establishment again. I recommend Tengda in Milford for the hightest quality sushi and service at a decent price.

If you absolutely must try Wasabi, I recommend getting take out. That way you won't have to be subjected to such crude behavior.