Trean House
  • Breakfast included
The Strand Hotel(Ballyliffin)
Ballyliffin Hotel(Ballyliffin)
View Hotel
All reviewsinishowen peninsulafriendly dogssheep farmsconespeat fireb bsitting roommalin headliving spacebreakfast was deliciousget away from it alllovely hostsapple treesrolling hillspiece of heavenfresh fruit saladcommon room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have just spent 6 nights at this truly exceptional bed and breakfast tucked in the north of Inishowen. Attention to detail; Joyce's warm and non-fussing hospitality; spacious, comfortable room and a fresh and filling breakfast every morning really made this the nicest bed and breakfast that we have ever stayed in. As an extra bonus, Mervyn gave 2 townies a very informative, interesting walk around the farm one rainy morning. Trean House is an ideal location for touring this part of Donegal. We particularly fell in love with Culdaff beach and found the "Famine Village" at Doagh very interesting. The ferry from Greencastle to Magilligan opens up the Giant's Causeway and North Antrim Coast.
Thank you Joyce and Mervyn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

When my son and I arrived at Trean House, we were greeted by Joyce's mother who had taken over hostess duties for the day while Joyce was away. She made us tea and gave us the most marvelous scones. My son made himself at home playing the vintage piano in the parlour. Our room was perfect, overlooking lush and beautiful gardens. We tucked our things away and made our way to the beach, just a few minutes away, where we found limpet shells and sheep's wool left along the upper path. The views of the bay were stunning. We had dinner at McGrory's, just a few minutes away and came back to an utterly quiet and peaceful room. The next day we ventured out to Fort Dunree and Grianan of Aileach which were monumental in both history and breathtaking views. Breakfast was fresh and filling. My son said goodbye to Joyce and Mervyn's lovely dogs. Of all the places we stayed in Ireland, this was my favourite.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room at Trean House! All are lovely. Our room had a private bath and shower, but I envied the large soaking tub! A truly wonderful B&B with even more wonderful hosts.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2013

this is the second time we've been to Trean House and it is a really gorgeous place, a great location and the hosting is second to none. made extra-special by regular appearances by spike and finn! we would recommend it to anyone for service, comfort, cleanliness and its proximity to some of the most beautiful beaches ever!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Three friends and I stayed at Trean House for two nights during October, 2012. I absolutely concur with all the comments in the recent reviews of this property. The facilities were five star.....beautiful rooms with sumptuous linens. It was very dark and quiet at night, making for a great sleep. Joyce is the ultimate host. Her full Irish breakfast was delicious and have to mention her fruit salad....beautifully presented, fresh and wonderful!! On Joyce's recommendation, we made a day trip to see the "Famine Village" and ate at Rosato's in Moville. We also drove to Malin Head, which was amazing despite the weather. Each night when we returned to Trean House, Joyce had a welcoming fire blazing in the sitting room. I would recommend this property in a heart beat!! Thank you, Joyce!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2012

During our annual mum and son trip to Ireland, my 11 year old son and I had a night's stay at Trean House. As first time visitors to Donegal, we wanted to stay on a farmhouse somewhere quite rural and Trean ticked all the boxes.

I can concur with all the positive comments made by other reviewers. I must add that the bed was the most comfortable I think I've ever slept in; you know the type that you really snuggle into and don't want to leave!

We had a large twin room at the front of the house which had king and queen sized beds. There was no TV in the room which was lovely as it meant we relocated to the very comfy, homely sitting room where we met a lovely german family and had a great night drinking copious cups of tea whilst watching the Olympics.

Joyce and Mervyn are great hosts. Not at all intrusive but always there if you need anything. Mervyn invited my son to feed the sheep and help move the cows to another field (although the bull had bolted so that caused great excitment on our part!). Lovely little beach just down the lane.

Fell in love with Finn and Spike the two beautiful dogs.

We were only able to stay for a night on this trip but we'd love to stay longer next time. I'm afraid to bring my husband though as I think he may refuse to leave!

Oh yes, free internet! Honestly didn't want to leave and still thinking about that bed!

I can't imagine anyone not having a really lovely stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family