“Perfect New England waterfront resort”

Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect New England waterfront resort”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Perfect is the word. Rooms, service, decor, restaurant, setting. Fantastic bed and elegant, roomy bath with great amenities. In-room coffee maker and snacks (no minibar). Gorgeous views across the water. Had dinner at Fresh Salt both nights of my stay and it was some of the best seafood I've had in New England. Excellent wines. Room service was delicious and punctual. I didn't get to sample the spa. Would highly recommend for couples or anyone else looking for an elegant, comfortable, quiet time on historic and scenic coastline.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Phineas55
SaybrookPointInn, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thanks for the recommendation! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much. To hear that you think our hotel is perfect is both flattering and humbling — and definitely not taken lightly.

I'll be sure to pass your review along to the Fresh Salt crew. I know they'll be thankful for your compliments! Hopefully next time you stay with us you'll be able to take advantage of our spa and all it has to offer.

Safe travels,
Andy, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Massapequa Park, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Saybrook point for the weekend. The hotel is beautiful, rooms are nice. The staff was very attentive. The outside patio area seems like it would be great in the summer. My husband enjoyed the outdoor heated swimming pool( there is also an indoor one) while I got a wonderful prenatal massage with Lindsey at the spa. The Old Saybrook area is lovely and the Main Street ( a mike away from hotel) has shops and restaurants. We ate dinner at Liv's oyster bar which was delish. We had our breakfast at the hotel and my lemon ricotta pancakes were yummy. Overall we had a wonderful weekend stay and we can't wait to plan our next trip back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Josie319
Thanks for the review, Josie! I'm glad you and your husband enjoyed your stay at our hotel. It's great to hear you both took advantage of our amenities like the heated pool and the spa. We like for our guests to be able to kick back and relax while they're here, and it sounds like you did just that.

I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to Lindsey and the rest of our staff; I know they'll appreciate your review as much as I do. Congratulations on the new addition to your family; we can't wait to have you all back!

Until next time,
Andy, General Manager
Manchester
Reviewed March 17, 2013

A first class spa Almost all rooms have an ocean view. Heated outdoor pool. A real hoot to swim when it snows. Rooms nicely decorated. Food is top notch. Spa was great. Don't miss a massage. Area offers some good shopping. Short drive to casinos, sub base and coast guard academy.

Room Tip: Suites are really quite nice. If you are going to spoil yourself it is worth the money
2 Thank Gerald D
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Saybrook Point Inn from March 9-10, for a quick 'cabin fever' weekend getaway. The Inn is seeped in history, but it is not at all a stuffy place. It is elegant and friendly. Our room 317 was a king fireplace waterview room. The room had a small balcony, overlooking the outdoor pool and ocean. The room was tastefully decorated, spacious, and the bed was comfortable. There is a refrigerator, two upholstered occasional chairs in front of the fireplace, and a small wood table and chairs. Our only minor gripes: the television is oddly mounted so that it is not comfortably viewable from either the bed or the upholstered chairs. We ended up moving the chairs over to in front of the television. The fireplace is not a gas log, nor was a burnable log furnished. Although it would have been cozy, we didn't care enough to ask or complain about it; if it is important to you that the fireplace be functional, be sure to inquire before booking. Perhaps they are only seasonally used up to a certain date. The staff we encountered were polite and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday Brunch. Although it was pricey, the quality and variety of the food justified the splurge. The property is on the water with a marina, but there is no accessible beach. That said, we probably wouldn't pay the summer rate to stay here. It is a wonderful, scenic event venue (weddings, functions) and we would definitely consider it should the occasion arise.

Queens, NY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went here for a romantic weekend getaway and loved it! The inn is decorated in refreshing colors , blues and yellows and it's so clean and everyone is so nice. The restaurant is wonderful...the experience is what I had hoped for....a break from all the city hassle.
Stayed in a junior suite with a fireplace (awesome!!), a jacuzzi and a little balcony. Event though the weather was cloudy, the waterfront was very beautiful.
we also enjoyed a couples massage in the spa which was great....and quite busy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had booked a stay at the Saybrook Point Inn after winning a deluxe room stay at an auction we had went to previously. This also included breakfast at Fresh Salt, the restaurant within the inn.

We stayed during our wedding anniversary weekend and really had such a relaxing time. I will say that what made the stay even better was the brief research I had done previously on TripAdvisor, and advice I had from family members and friends who had stayed allowed us to time everything perfectly. We checked in slightly early which was nice since our room was ready on the snowy day we came on. I promptly went over to the spa (Sanno) as I had booked appointments there. After my appointments, we relaxed in our room and took advantage later of the hotel shuttle (PLEASE take advantage of it- its the best!) to go into town to grab some dinner. The staff member who ran the shuttle was extremely prompt and professional, and when we got back we had them light a duraflame log in our room to enjoy the rest of our night. Please note- that they will not light the logs if you are going to leave your room (duh!) or if it's extremely windy.

The next morning, we had breakfast at Fresh Salt. What a beautiful view the restaurant has! Bring your camera AND your sunglasses! My two gripes about the restaurant- the waiters/waitresses didn't seem excited to be there- I think our waitress said two sentences to us-we received no recommendations on breakfast options, and the bartender was not available, so we were unable to have a breakfast cocktail (did we need it- no, but we were celebrating!). However, the food was delicious and fresh so no complaints there.

The room was very clean and neat- the bathroom as well. The only odd thing I noticed about the bathroom shower we had, was that depending on the setting of the showerhead, the water would spray directly onto the far wall, not allowing you to be anywhere near the water- so you had to find the right setting to get the showerspray actually into the shower.

The room also had a mini fridge and a Keurig machine, which they provided coffee and tea with, which we enjoyed after our breakfast.

Overall- it was a great stay. I would stay here again, and recommend anyone to stay while in the Old Saybrook area.

1 Thank sarsmore
Northport, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I am not sure how anyone can patronize a place where they can care less about customer/client satisfaction!!! This was my second year going with a bunch of school friends - thought maybe last year was a fluke and an off day bc we all have them. This year took the cake - It's nice that the place is on the water but their customer service and the front desk is the worst I have ever seen. I filled out my survey after my most recent stay explaining all the issues we had (most important being it took us over an hour to check out bc they couldn't get our bill correct) and that we missed our ferry bc of the incompetence of not only desk clerk but the spa manager as well. There was no response to my survey that I filled out. I waited about 3 weeks and then emailed the manager of the place - still no response!! I finally tried calling the owner but his phone will not take messages so I emailed him instead. I got a reply that he would look into it and get back to me in a day or 2 - well guess what.... It's been a week and no response and this is the owner!!!! I have spent now hours construing emails (3) each one getting more impatient and appalled by lack of concern for my less then average experience and at this point I will go as far to say this place is the worst I have ever experienced bc they can care less about their clients. I have never known a place that totally disregards their customer. For the price you are paying your massage should be out of this world and my massage was adequate at best. i was just coming off neck fusion surgery and i asked my masseuse to only focus on my back and neck and he just did a regular full body massage. And to boot to charge extra for a deep tissue and its the same as a regular massage is not right. If I were you I would go to the Norwich spa - now that's a classy place and in my opinion worth the little extra money you will have to pay bc they know how to treat their clients and they have people at the front desk that actually know what they are doing!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
#2 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Hyatt Place Mystic
Hyatt Place Mystic
#3 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!