“An Elegant Getaway”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bristol, Connecticut
“An Elegant Getaway”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Saybrook Point Inn from March 9-10, for a quick 'cabin fever' weekend getaway. The Inn is seeped in history, but it is not at all a stuffy place. It is elegant and friendly. Our room 317 was a king fireplace waterview room. The room had a small balcony, overlooking the outdoor pool and ocean. The room was tastefully decorated, spacious, and the bed was comfortable. There is a refrigerator, two upholstered occasional chairs in front of the fireplace, and a small wood table and chairs. Our only minor gripes: the television is oddly mounted so that it is not comfortably viewable from either the bed or the upholstered chairs. We ended up moving the chairs over to in front of the television. The fireplace is not a gas log, nor was a burnable log furnished. Although it would have been cozy, we didn't care enough to ask or complain about it; if it is important to you that the fireplace be functional, be sure to inquire before booking. Perhaps they are only seasonally used up to a certain date. The staff we encountered were polite and friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday Brunch. Although it was pricey, the quality and variety of the food justified the splurge. The property is on the water with a marina, but there is no accessible beach. That said, we probably wouldn't pay the summer rate to stay here. It is a wonderful, scenic event venue (weddings, functions) and we would definitely consider it should the occasion arise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Queens, NY
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Went here for a romantic weekend getaway and loved it! The inn is decorated in refreshing colors , blues and yellows and it's so clean and everyone is so nice. The restaurant is wonderful...the experience is what I had hoped for....a break from all the city hassle.
Stayed in a junior suite with a fireplace (awesome!!), a jacuzzi and a little balcony. Event though the weather was cloudy, the waterfront was very beautiful.
we also enjoyed a couples massage in the spa which was great....and quite busy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had booked a stay at the Saybrook Point Inn after winning a deluxe room stay at an auction we had went to previously. This also included breakfast at Fresh Salt, the restaurant within the inn.

We stayed during our wedding anniversary weekend and really had such a relaxing time. I will say that what made the stay even better was the brief research I had done previously on TripAdvisor, and advice I had from family members and friends who had stayed allowed us to time everything perfectly. We checked in slightly early which was nice since our room was ready on the snowy day we came on. I promptly went over to the spa (Sanno) as I had booked appointments there. After my appointments, we relaxed in our room and took advantage later of the hotel shuttle (PLEASE take advantage of it- its the best!) to go into town to grab some dinner. The staff member who ran the shuttle was extremely prompt and professional, and when we got back we had them light a duraflame log in our room to enjoy the rest of our night. Please note- that they will not light the logs if you are going to leave your room (duh!) or if it's extremely windy.

The next morning, we had breakfast at Fresh Salt. What a beautiful view the restaurant has! Bring your camera AND your sunglasses! My two gripes about the restaurant- the waiters/waitresses didn't seem excited to be there- I think our waitress said two sentences to us-we received no recommendations on breakfast options, and the bartender was not available, so we were unable to have a breakfast cocktail (did we need it- no, but we were celebrating!). However, the food was delicious and fresh so no complaints there.

The room was very clean and neat- the bathroom as well. The only odd thing I noticed about the bathroom shower we had, was that depending on the setting of the showerhead, the water would spray directly onto the far wall, not allowing you to be anywhere near the water- so you had to find the right setting to get the showerspray actually into the shower.

The room also had a mini fridge and a Keurig machine, which they provided coffee and tea with, which we enjoyed after our breakfast.

Overall- it was a great stay. I would stay here again, and recommend anyone to stay while in the Old Saybrook area.

1 Thank sarsmore
Northport, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I am not sure how anyone can patronize a place where they can care less about customer/client satisfaction!!! This was my second year going with a bunch of school friends - thought maybe last year was a fluke and an off day bc we all have them. This year took the cake - It's nice that the place is on the water but their customer service and the front desk is the worst I have ever seen. I filled out my survey after my most recent stay explaining all the issues we had (most important being it took us over an hour to check out bc they couldn't get our bill correct) and that we missed our ferry bc of the incompetence of not only desk clerk but the spa manager as well. There was no response to my survey that I filled out. I waited about 3 weeks and then emailed the manager of the place - still no response!! I finally tried calling the owner but his phone will not take messages so I emailed him instead. I got a reply that he would look into it and get back to me in a day or 2 - well guess what.... It's been a week and no response and this is the owner!!!! I have spent now hours construing emails (3) each one getting more impatient and appalled by lack of concern for my less then average experience and at this point I will go as far to say this place is the worst I have ever experienced bc they can care less about their clients. I have never known a place that totally disregards their customer. For the price you are paying your massage should be out of this world and my massage was adequate at best. i was just coming off neck fusion surgery and i asked my masseuse to only focus on my back and neck and he just did a regular full body massage. And to boot to charge extra for a deep tissue and its the same as a regular massage is not right. If I were you I would go to the Norwich spa - now that's a classy place and in my opinion worth the little extra money you will have to pay bc they know how to treat their clients and they have people at the front desk that actually know what they are doing!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Argos1212
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is a first class Inn with breathtaking views of the water. It is, as the name suggests, at the Saybrook Point which provides for a spectacular wake up as you sit on your little patio sipping coffee as the sun comes up.

It was snowing as we woke up, but that still didn't take away from the view.

The room is finished in all the appropriate New England colours. The bed was luxuriously comfortable. Our mini suite came with a fireplace and jacuzzi. Go during the "off" season for superb rates and less crowds.

If we had one complaint it was the shower. Toss the "rainfall" shower head and replace it with one with multiple settings.

Make sure you have breakfast at the restaurant. A "little" pricey but the food was excellent and the presentation superb.

Aberdeen
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Stayed two nights recently for a friends wedding and it was a very pleasant stay indeed. Staff were friendly, the room well appointed, clean and comfortable and the restaurant food was excellent. The spa area may need a little TLC as the steam room was broken and the sauna was quite small and not that hot however the pool was nice and the hot tub was fantastic. Given a reason to be in the area I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CdrAdama
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a very relaxing weekend! The staff was super friendly and accommodating. The spa was great. We had amazing facials and good massages. The waiting area in the spa was a little crowded, but I guess that's a given for a Saturday. The restaurant was one of the best meals I've ever had. Service was a little slow, but the meal made up for it. Great seafood salad. The king sized room was large and comfy. There was a fireplace, they sent a gentlemen up to light a just a starter log, which was fine. Room service was prompt and the food was average. Sunday buffet looked very good, but we passed The pool area is decent size, hot tub is too. Steam room fits about 3 people and the sauna about 6, but no one was in either of them. Bunch of kids were in the pool, pretty much all weekend. I would definitely go back. Obviously, when traveling to a resort and spa, it does get expensive, but well worth it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Old Saybrook
The Whaler's Inn
The Whaler's Inn
#1 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!