We spent a wonderful weekend here. This was our first time here. I think the reviews are better than our experience but seeing another disappointed reviewer for the same weekend we visited , maybe they had a bad weekend. (which a good place shouldn’t have).
The food, which is reviewed as fabulous by so many people was good but far from fabulous. My Salmon arrived raw on the inside, and my wife’s duck was tough. I found the salad tasteless like they forgot to add the dressing. Other parts of the meal were good like the calamari but not outstanding. Breakfast was much better except the cappuccino. If you’re a coffee snob, skip it.
The room: Was nice but not as exotic as I expected for the price we were paying. (jacuzzi, fire place, separate sitting area with couch, TV… ) It was very clean and the only thing that I give 5 stars to. I was very disappointed in the bedding. You pay hundreds of dollars for a night in a place like this you expect to get into bed and sink in to soft silky amazing sheets. This bed had sheets that even at home I consider too old to use and time for new ones. The pillows and blanket as well. The suite we got was supposed to come with a king size bed but had a queen. It came with a Jacuzzi. Wouldn’t you expect a ‘spa’ to provide the rooms (which you pay extra for the Jacuzzi) with bath salts and some really nice soaps and lotions, maybe some candles or at least a dimmer… well, we did have a Jacuzzi tub and it worked and it was clean but no salts, we had 1 tiny shampoo, 1 conditioner and 1 tiny lotion that was so cheap my face was burning after trying it. There were 5 lights that all worked on 1 switch and made me feel like I was on a photo shoot having my portrait done. The room came with a cheep drip coffee maker and if you wanted to use the bottled water they charge you. (that happens in Howard Johnson’s not high end hotels).
I had ordered Chocolate covered strawberries which were delicious, but it was supposed to be a surprise, and in any hotel that I ever order cheese and Champaign or Chocolate covered strawberries, it‘s always there when we arrive. Here, we were in the room for one and a half hours, we already ordered some snacks because our dinner reservations weren’t for a couple more hours and then out of the blue someone knocks on the door and brings us the chocolate covered strawberries which I just assumed we weren’t getting. When I had mentioned this at checkout, instead of an apology, or maybe saying that they do it differently here, all he said was: “you didn’t ask for it to be there when you arrived”. OK…!
All this said, I think the Old Saybrook inn is on an absolutely beautiful piece of property, on the water and is probably a great place in the summer. It is surrounded by some very cute CT small towns. I think the hotel is not as great as I read about and too expensive for what I got. The service was good but no one went out of their way to make it just a touch above the rest. I felt the place lacks finesse. Not sure I would go back I think I would probably prefer to try a different place for that price range.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Saybrook Point Inn & Spa is a AAA Four Diamond Southern Connecticut hotel, recently designated as a green hotel. We offer gracious accommodations, Four Diamond dining, a luxurious spa, and a gorgeous shoreline view. Enjoy classic intimacy in elegant rooms featuring balconies, water views and glowing fireplaces. We are a pet friendly hotel.Amenities include a luxurious spa, our health club offering indoor and outdoor pools, modern fitness equipment, sun decks, sauna and exercise classes. Our marina can accommodate vessels up to 200 feet and offers a floating gas dock and expert staff. We also have onsite dining at Fresh Salt Restaurant, offering exquisite service and waterfront ambiance. We offer meeting rooms and space, planning and catering for events.Saybrook Point Inn & Spa is conveniently located only two hours from New York City and one hour from Bradley International Airport. Our inn is at the mouth of the Connecticut River, with panoramic views of Long Island Sound, and only steps from the heart of historic Old Saybrook and a colorful host of antique shops, theatres, brand name outlets and casinos. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Saybrook Point Inn & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saybrook Point Inn And Spa
- Saybrook Point Hotel Old Saybrook
- Old Saybrook Inn
- Saybrook Point Old
- Saybrook Inn
- Saybrook Point Inn Spa