“Very relaxing two day mid-week getaway @ Saybrook Point Inn and Spa”

Saybrook Point Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Saybrook Point Wednesday, September 12th through Friday, September 14th. We booked a King with a balcony which was what we were given. The room was very spacious, nicely decorated and clean. The balcony overlooked the water which was very nice as well. All of the staff were very polite. They offer a complimentary ride if you'd like to go into town which we took advantage of. The driver was very accomodating and picked us up within 10 minutes of calling. As part of the package we elected, we were provided with a bottle of wine each night as well as breakfast in the morning at Fresh Salt. The wine was nice and the breakfast was good as well. We also took advantage of Sanno Spa. I've also had many deep tissue massages and I must say the woman I had was excellent. My husband also had a massage and said his was excellent as well.

If you're looking for a relaxing two days mid week, this is the place to go. I can understand how on weekends it may be very busy as they do cater many weddings but that is to be expected if you book a weekend trip.

No complaints from us :)

Room Tip: As for a room in the rear or side of the building as you'll have a view of the water.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bbeeh1

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We wanted to love this place. It was recommended by friends and maks a lovely first appearance. Unfortunately, although we received a confirmation hat called for a king size bed with fireplace this is not what we were given. When we got to the room, there was no fireplace and the smallest queen size bed I have ever seen. I called the front desk and was told this is what I had booked but because I wasn't satisfied they would reduce the rate by $50. Fortunately, my wife had a copy of the confirm showing the king with fireplace which I took to front desk. At this point they admitted their mistake. I suggested that the price drop should be off the rate for the single queen room and not that for the king. I was told the rates for the two rooms were the same (find this hard to believe) but a breakfast voucher was offered. The room was a total disappointment and after two cramped, uncomfortable nights we were glad to get home. Ramfan 72

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jimmymac72
SaybrookPointInn, Front Office Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

First, we are terribly sorry for the delay in responding to your review.
Please accept our sincere apologies for your discomfort during your stay. Our system did incur a glitch that resulted in your room discrepancy. We understand how disappointing it is to look forward to a getaway and to have your experience be less than wonderful. We hope that you will return so that we can exceed your expectations during your next stay! Please contact me to book your next visit.
Pauline Ackles
Front Desk Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was passing through Saybrook for business and stayed one night at Saybrook Point Inn and Spa. The staff were all very personable and hospitable. The rooms were cozy and inviting and it felt like a home away from home, even if for a night. My room had views of the water, which were gorgeous to wake up to. I ordered the homemade granola with berries and yogurt to my room and also ate lunch in Fresh Salt and was not disappointed.

I'd recommend the experience to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I'd like to start off by saying I am a huge fan of TripAdvisor, by reading more good than bad reviews we decided to spend our anniversary at Saybrook Point. Tara who booked our reservation was very friendly and knowledgeable. We had booked our reservations about a month in advance, requested a water view room made dinner reservations for 7pm @ the Hotels restaurant called Fresh Salt in addition to spa services also located in the hotel. We arrived around noon, our room was not ready (but check-in is @ 4). We walked around property, really nothing breath taking. Decided to grab a cocktail at the Marina bar also part of the property where before even taking our order the bartender explained to us how much he hates working at the outside bar. He explained that he has to call someone to come down and watch bar while he delivers food to the people at the pool. He prefers to work inside and really hates being at the Marina Bar. Lots of extra information for guests...... We just wanted a drink! From there we decided to go for a swim before our scheduled 3:30 spa appointments, Locker rooms and pool really nothing special and if your room isn't ready plan on going swimming without a towel to dry off with after. Pool towels are located in rooms, there are NO extra by the pool or in locker rooms.. We received a call around 3 saying our room was ready, quick change and off to the spa. Spa was nice, staff was pleasant and accommodating. My husband and I each had 2 spa services and were pleased with our spa experience. Off to the room to get ready for dinner. We were going to have a quick glass of wine out on our balcony only to discover that our balcony was loaded with HUGE spiders and webs (NOT romantic).. Off to dinner for our 7pm reservation @ Fresh Salt, long story short we didn't get seated till after 7:30pm. Our server Nancy seemed like a very nice woman but the restaurant was very busy and she was running! She arrived at our table short of breath and sweating profusely, took a quick bar order. My vodka arrived some time later with a glass full of some kind of white substance (we think it was dish detergent). The girl helping Nancy with water and plate clearing gladly had the drink replaced for me. We ordered some appetizers quick as Nancy was very rushed! Appetizer's good. Nancy was running trying to please everyone but clearly there were too many tables for her to handle. She took our dinner order after 9pm and completely forgot to bring a bottle of wine we ordered to go with our meals. We were seated near 2 other couples who also could not believe the poor service, at NO point did a manager or anyone come around and ask if everything was okay (probably because they knew the answer would not be a good one).. The food was average, not worth the wait. We didn't even consider ordering dessert due to the fact it could have been hours for our order to be taken and possible like the wine it may never come.. Figured we would take advantage of the 2 person jacuzzi in our room, its more like a 1 person jacuzzi and be careful getting out because a screw came out from the side panel ( It really hurts when you step on the screw head).. Fast forward to next day, breakfast was plentiful and there were no service issues. We would have had breakfast elsewhere but our stay package included breakfast. Chelsea our server was pleasant and accommodating. My husband and I discussed that we had spent over $1,000.00 on this overnight and were not at all pleased with our experience. With that being said I asked to speak with a manager, I was directed to Gail the restaurant manager. She was pleasant and overall shocked to hear of our experience, she then directed me to Andy the General Manager. Andy and I discussed our dining experience, he acted horrified and said he wanted to watch the video surveillance from that night and he was going to get back to me before we checked out. We checked out about an hour later, Andy had not had time to investigate exactly what had happened so he reassured me he was looking into it and confirmed my contact info and told me he was going to call me by the afternoon. Needless to say its almost 2 days later and I have NOT heard from Andy, What a slap in the face! So stay away from Saybrook Inn because clearly as a guest there you pay top dollar and your expectations don't matter and are unimportant.

Room Tip: They say water view, buts its docks and yachts. If not that its parkinglot, outdoor dining or outdoo...
6  Thank Marcy B
andyabels, General Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

The guest is correct, I did promise to call by the Friday afternoon when we spoke on Friday morning. I should not have said it if it was going to be a problem. I apologize for that.
I was at a loss as to what to do or say and I usually do not have this problem. What was there to say? The Rest. Mgr. had apologized for the service being....rushed.... or slow? I apologized too and was sorry they were not happy. About specifically what that was hard to understand as I had not heard about the dirty drink glass. It did not seem warranted to give a refund and I sensed that was high on the agenda.
When asking a guest about their experience, too many questions and the guest can feel like they are on trial and get upset. I was certainly warned that the guest was a Tripadvisor fan, she was very honest in telling us that repeatedly. Maybe that is where my problem came from?
I'd be quite happy to do something- even apologize again.
Come back as our guest, we'll make you happy! Happy anniversary too, sorry it was not the evening you hoped for. Andy

Reviewed August 18, 2012

The room was large - desk, fireplace, two chairs and table, and more. It was very clean. I found the staff to be friendly and eager to help. Although I did not use the spa, I plan on returning for a girls weekend and going to the spa and nearby outlets!

2  Thank Denise514
andyabels, Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for the great remarks, we're happy that you're... happy too!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

The hotel's rooms were exceptionally clean , large room / bathroom,
and well appointed (we stayed in more than one )
when we decided to extend our visit they found a room - not an easy feat for
a hectic Friday summer night!
The staff was all excellent . The restaurant had surprisingly delicious food- including the
best swordfish that I've ever had anywhere. As people mentioned, the pool areas need updating.
I did not try the spa but spoke to one of their employees who was also friendly and very professional.

2  Thank ruoloc

Thank you and the swordfish chop is such a hit. It is amazing that you hardly find the item anywhere. There are only two chops per fish which may explain it a little.
At any rate, I digress ... thank you!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

My daughter and I have been here 4 times in the past year. They have been our mini-vacations. The staff remembered our names. They are the most attentive than any other hotel. The room was immaculate and very comfortable. The grounds are clean and nicely decorated with flowers. The restaurant was extremely clean and the food was absolutely delicious. We ate breakfasts there and one dinner. Overall, I would highly recommend you give them a try.

Room Tip: Try the room with the terrace and water view. Some rooms have electric fireplaces, while others hav...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Mohegan Sun
Mohegan Sun
#1 of 4 in Uncasville
Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!