“Great suite!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oslo, Norway
“Great suite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

One night at this hotel with my family, we had the biggest suite I think and it was fantastic! View of the ocean and terrific quality of the suite with excellent in-room breakfast!

• Liked — Great location and great suite!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank duttzi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2007

I have stayed here three times and each time has been a wonderful experience. I am quite surprised by the negative comments as this was not my experience at all. My husband and I had a great romantic weekend getaway in the fall of 2005 so we went back with the kids in the summer of 2006 twice. The staff was very attentive to ensure our stay was pleasant. We enjoyed a couples massage which was great. And the reastaurant was terrific. The food, wine and service was outstanding.

I was not sure how the kids would be greated, but was pleasantly surprised that they received the same warm welcome.

The rooms are spacious and clean. I would highly recommend you visit!

• Liked — The beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — It's not on the beach
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank savannah7
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

I just got back with a friend for a "girl's week-end" one night with massage/breakfast included. When we got there, I had not read the bad reviews and am just reading them (my friend had read them and was concerned). It's a good thing I hadn't read them, probably would not have stayed there. It was fantastic. From the moment we checked in, everyone was friendly and helpful. The room was huge and very nice. The spa (we each had a facial and massage) was great, as were the therapists that we each had.

The food for dinner was outstanding, portions, presentation and taste perfect.

It isn't a brand new hotel so of course it may need some sprucing up but I didn't see any obvious signs of disrepair or neglect.

Would definitely recommend it. I thought our price which included breakfasts, $90 spa credit and room were adequately priced.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank MTOESO
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2007

I attended both a wedding reception and a bar mitzvah here in the fall of 2006.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this facility for a celebration of any kind, not a weekend getaway, not wedding, not at all.

While the location is beautiful, the staff is incompetent and rude, particularly the banquet manager.

At both events we were told by the bartenders that they were not permitted by law to give more than one drink per person at a time. Meaning that no one can get a cocktail for themselves and their date at the same time.

At the wedding I was shocked when the banquet manager told the band to stop playing, that the wedding was over and everyone should leave. She apparently had a problem the ethnic meditteraen traditional music...?? FYI, the cake had not even been cut yet and dessert service had not begun. I watched the bride breakdown in tears.

The food is better than most reception food. But the waitstaff is not particularly polished.

I made the mistake of getting a massage here the weekend of the first event ( we had booked a room for the weekend of the first event). The spa is in desparate need of a facelift. The chairs are old, the wallpaper in the lounge looks yellowed. It just appears rundown.

The nicest thing I can say about the rooms is that they are adequate but grossly overpriced.

The front desk staff are fine, unless there is a problem. Then they apply the cold shoulder technique... they simply ignore your complaints.

I also got the distinct vibe both weekends that they do not care
for guests who are not Aryan.

• Liked — The Connecticut River as scenery.
  • Disliked — The hotel staff was rude ( bigots ), the spa was dirty.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank WorldlyNYCgirl
SaybrookPointMgmt, General Manager at Saybrook Point Inn & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2007
In no aspect of our business do we treat someone differently based on their origin, race, religion or gender.
We do our utmost to provide a safe and enjoyable environment to our guests. We are successful the vast majority of times.
When a guest is unhappy we try to find a resolution to their problems. Sometimes it is not possible.
We do our best and proud of our results and the services we provide.
Conn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2007

The Old Saybrook Point inn is a classic example of "No Alternatives". If you look at old saybrooks choice of hotels to stay in only the B & B's have some charm all others are Days Inn, Comfort inn type hotels. The hotel capitalizes on this by advertising itself as a luxury inn. The only problem is they don't have the vision or the required money invested to be a luxury resort. The location is very good and the restaurant is quite good as well...although pricey...would do better to go down the street to Liv's Oyster Bar or Jacks..places have food that is just as good and is a lot more fun than the old traditional stuffy new england expensive dinner. The spa is what you might find at a nice Holiday Inn not a luxury spa. When you think luxury spa you might think , Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Park Hyatts, Topnotch, vt etc...this isn't in the same league...which is okay if you are not paying those prices and it isn't advertised that way...The pools are fine but tiny...outside the pool is always underheated unless it is mid summer, there is a tiny pool deck that is frequently crowded with locals, marina people and hotel guests, the pool deck inside is hazardous (slippery) the sauna and steam are utilitarian....(functional not luxurious) Overall a two and a half star experience....the rooms are nice but weddings can interfere...the staff is fine but again, not trained the way the staffs are trained at the true four and five star resorts...this resort should charge around 89-129 a night and be carefull the way it advertises itself. If it wants to be luxury they need to spend the big money in investment and hire world class people...consumers are getting smarter today and know the difference. Look at any review sites that are talking about this hotel, many many people are citing concerns about this property...not all but many...as a consumer be aware that this place charges too much for what it says it offers....of course there is no alternatives on the shoreline between branford and waterford ct that are any better sooo....perhaps stay at a beautiful inn when visiting or stay at one of the casino's hotels, maybe the mystic marriott...if you must stay here....find a very very competive rate....place has great potential if the owners knew how to run a luxury hotel...

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — The misleading advertising
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank ConnTravelMan
Newington,CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2007

For $350 a night I expected much much more instead we were greeted by not 1 but 2 weddings in the same day . My room was nice we got the one with the view and balcony , only to find some party below us,so the music and 40 drunks below was a nice welcome to the balcony with a view "which was very nice" that was paid extra for . Good thing it went on till 11:30pm and they made noise cleaning till 12:30am. Do not go here if there is a wedding unless you like bass bumping music till 11:30 pm cut off time and want to be flooded by people everywhere you go in hotel. We should have went camping with a tent and had a better time for 30 bucks..

• Liked — The bathroom was very clean
  • Disliked — what I got for price paid !
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ford50
Bentonville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2007

I feel bad about the people who had such a terrible experience. I LOVED my stay there last August. It was the perfect "mental health break," and in fact, just finished booking time for this August. The staff is somewhat aloof, but professional and clean. Not too unlike what you would experience in any 5-stars in NYC. I am originally from the area, and since being transferred out of state 3 years ago, it is a nice place to return to, spend time with friends, enjoy nearby beaches, walk through Fenwick. Pool area is nice, clean. Room was lovely, and at night when I got in, it was so calming to sit on the deck with a glass of wine and just take in the sounds of summer and sweet ocean breeze. I am getting anxious about my upcoming trip just writing this! I would highly recommend this facility to anyone visting, as there is plenty of info on hand about the area (for those unfamiliar), not far from highway so one can take a day-trip up to Newport or Mystic. Again, I highly recommend and cannot wait till August! :)

• Liked — water views, room
  • Disliked — nothing- I loved it all!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Old Saybrook
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,363 reviews
Inn at Mystic
Inn at Mystic
#4 of 13 in Mystic

Been to Saybrook Point Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!