“Pleasant atmosphere, yummy food, and (if you're careful) on a budget”
Review of Aspen Restaurant

Aspen Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Aspen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 81 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Across the street from Amtrak Station/Shoreline East commuter train
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Young friends called me to rendezvous at this frequent stop for them during happy hour, featuring half off draft beer and a selection of the appetizers. The just big enough selection of brews on tap included a tasty IPA. I thoroughly enjoyed the seared tuna app and liked what I treated of my companions' short ribs and smoked bleu cheese plated. The young woman trending bar was fast and attentive with just the right lively personality. I'll be back!

1  Thank jcwareham

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Food made to order to adjust for likes and dislikes. Atmosphere was romantic. Server was very knowledgeable and friendly.

1  Thank Ravenwood11
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Apparently they cleaned house in January. Our favorite bartender, Beau, was let go. To make matters worse there was a very young girl serving bar. She certainly wasn't Beau. When we asked where Beau was she said he was let go because he was "giving stuff away" and then went on to say more that he was giving away free drinks and more. I can't believe how unprofessional she was! This was very disturbing.we told her that we were regular Saturday night customers and we never received anything free. Beau was attentive, remembered us every time, provided great service and always concocted something interesting that he knew I would like. Then we looked around and no one was familiar. My usual braised ribs came out on a plate tossed on top of mashed potatoes. All fat. No greens. Presentation was awful. Then we waited for 15 min trying to get some silverware. When we went to use our "coupon" that we earned from all the times we had been there, the young girl said we couldn't use it on a Saturday night. This was never true before. She said that a lot of people didn't know that and she pointed to a laminated "rules" and restrictions" disclaimer on the back of the menu. Very tacky!! We used to love going here so needless to say we were very disappointed and haven't been back. I'll stop in to see if they got rid of the new management. It felt like a diner with drinks. If they are gone, we will try it again. The best advice I can give them is to bring back Beau. Everyone at the bar always knew him- he was mature, a lot of fun and remembers everything!

4  Thank Myrtle615
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The meals at Aspen are excellent. The selection is wide, and the chef is obviously talented. The staff, however, seems to be a bunch of nervy millennials who are not properly supervised.

7  Thank James C
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Went to Aspen for lunch on a recent Saturday. We each ordered a pasta dish, I had the Pappardelle with olive oil poached tuna and my companion had the cavatelli with bacon, peas, mascarpone & black pepper. Evidently this is not the place to order pasta as both dishes were quite lacking in flavor, despite the listed ingredients. There was no salt or pepper on the table and none was offered. When we could find our waiter we had to keep asking for things, like fresh ground pepper and grated cheese. When we finished our meal he walked by us several times empty-handed before he finally cleared away our plates. He seemed more interested in the parties around us who were ordering several drinks. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and the menu looks great, but our experience was that of mediocre food and lackadaisical service. Considering the prices charged we expected better. We will not go back any time soon.

4  Thank tosca1951