“"Holy WOW - That Salmon is amazing"!”
Review of Aspen Restaurant

Aspen Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Aspen Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 83 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Across the street from Amtrak Station/Shoreline East commuter train
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Our family went to Aspen last night for dinner. It was a cold wintry night so sitting by the fireplace was a nice bonus and provided a great atmosphere. The Seared Salmon (medium) was absolutely amazing. One of the best salmon dishes I've experienced. The Lobster Bolognese was also delicious. My son had 2 small plates, Hangar Steak and Monk Fish and said they were both great. I joined their Loyalty program since I plan to go back on regular basis.

1  Thank PabloCoupon

Reviewed February 16, 2014

From the greeting by the hostess, to the 10 minutes we waited for 2 drinks at the bar, to the server that seemed to not care at all; every aspect of this experience was disappointing! My cool as a cucumber martini had a fruit fly in it, the steak was subpar. On a good, the calamari and bread were very good and we were sat at our reservation time. We have dined here in the past and were extremely excited for our night, but after this experience, I will never dine here again!

6  Thank noankmom3
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed a relaxing dinner last night at Aspen. We were seated by the see-through fireplace which was comfortable on a cold February night. Our server was attentive, and when questions arose about bar selections she recruited another staff member to assist us. We shared an appetizer of gnocchi filled with Gorgonzola in a browned butter - rich but light. Our entrees included the wild boar stew and seared salmon. Both were delicious- the salmon was perfectly cooked and the sweet potato lobster hash was a pleasant surprise; large chunks of lobster instead of a tiny portion. A tawny port and espresso complimented the banana dumplings with salted caramel gelato. Aspen fits the bill for a casual dinner or special occasion destination. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank LetsGoBack
Reviewed January 12, 2014

After a previously underwhelming review - I am back and happy to report that after giving this restaurant another try we had an excellent meal

Service was good - drinks were lovely - I had the hangar steak and it was excellent.

Glad we gave it another try.

1  Thank ctbrit
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We were in the area and finally decided to stop and try Aspen. My husband and I could not stop commenting on how terrific our waitress was! She made us feel so welcome and catered to us and our 10 month old.
The food was fantastic - a lot of yummy choices too! We had the calamari app and the steamed pork dumplings - both were scrumptious!!! For lunch, we had the gumbo and the fish and chips. We were really pleased with both. (The fish and chips were pretty heavily breaded so if I had to change anything, I would probably like more of a tempura batter but that is just me being picky).
All in all, for a very nice lunch, we found the prices to be incredibly reasonable and the food exceptional.
We will be back but the cherry on top was the actual service. It's been a long time since we have had such great wait people. Thank you for a wonderful snowy day lunch!

1  Thank AKing001