“NICE PLACE BUT SMALL” 3 of 5 bubbles

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“NICE PLACE BUT SMALL”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Nice area, and maybe it's because we went to a portion of the beach as it was very small and nothing like you see in the picture. We ended up going with my brother and sister in-law and there was not a lot of room on the beach... Only around 30 people, so you have to get there early on a weekend morning to find a spot.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank johnnybgood1959

Groton, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“It's a beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

sand sun water. not sure how I am going to make 100 word review. But we had a great day here. And every other day we went back.

1 Thank Darkcomputerguru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very small patch of sand... just better than staying home ...assuming that is you don't have a beach or pool handy.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I don't know where those photos were taken. Surely it was not from this "Beach". The scenery was not too bad and thankfully for the water is Wet. You cannot walk this beach.

3 Thank Tomeekay
South Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What a disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I was in Connecticut last week with my sister from Florida and 5 year old autistic nephew. We have been going to Harvey's Beach since we were his age and had talked up this part of the trip a great deal. Especially the sandbars. When we arrived, the lifeguard at the gate informed us they had been closed for the day by the Town because bacteria levels were too high. Something to do with the marsh grasses and the estuary next door. Anyone who has ever dealt with an autistic child knows what happened next.We ended up further down the road at Old Saybrook Town Beach which was open and we could let the little guy in the water to play. I got a little wet myself and subsequently, I came down with a bladder infection and my nephew developed a severe rash. Shame on you Old Saybrook Park and Rec for letting the Town beach stay open and not informing people of the bacteria levels there like you did at Harvey's. Even if the levels were "acceptable" people should be made aware of the bacterial levels so they can make an informed decision.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Mahasin P
Connecticut
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Our Preferred "Local Beach"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We've been going to Harvey's for about 10 years, initially impressed at how clean and quaint it was. It's fun for kids when the tide is out. Over the past few years it's become increasingly more crowded and with that of course comes more trash. This weekend I had an empty bag and picked up some of the garbage myself. I wish the town of Old Saybrook would be more proactive about cleaning up this beach, it's losing it's charm.

Visited July 2012