“luigi's is great”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Awesome place. We go here once a month and it is great. The portions are huge so go hungry. The pizza is great too if you just want take out. Owner is great. He is always there. Two thumbs up.

3  Thank NorwoodDave

Reviewed February 20, 2012

All in all, the food and service were good, but we unfortunately picked the wrong time to show up for a late lunch. Right after we were seated, a bus load of unruly kids showed up for a birthday party. No matter what the staff/owners did, the kids would not listen, and behaved like a pack of wild chimpanzees. When my girlfriend went to the bathroom, she had little boys trying to open the door on her. To make matters worse, the adults attending the party allowed these kids to do whatever they wanted. This doesn't mean that it was all the restaurant's fault, but it shows what kind of society we live in where kids can go into a nice restaurant and tear it up. I don't think Luigi's should allow these types of parties, especially when there are other guests trying to enjoy a meal.

Reviewed January 23, 2012

If you live in the Connecticut River Valley, sure, you can drive 30+ minutes out of your way to Pepe's or Sally's in New Haven, but why bother with the crowds when you can go to Luigi's right here on the Shoreline!

I love going to Luigi's for grinders and pizzas. My favorites are the Italian Combo grinder with Genoa salami with some marinated peppers on the side. The pizza is great too, always cooked to perfection and never too greasy.

Every time, my order is perfect - even if I ask for light crust, peppers on the side or whatever my whimsy is that day.

While I would really love to go with five stars, I just can't due to the pick-up service. About 75% of the time I call ahead for a pick-up order, it's not ready at the promised time. I know restaurants can get busy at the drop of a hat, but I'm busy too, I have people waiting and really don't appreciate waiting an extra 15-20 minutes on top of the pick-up time.

Although I have to say, thank you kindly for the improvements to the waiting area and the lounge/bar. The work is lovely!

3  Thank nutella42
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Our family loves this restaurant. We come here if we just want pizza or if we are having a special occasion and want a special dinner. The food is great, the service is always wonderful and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. The staff makes you feel like family.

4  Thank Jeannette H
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We were looking for a nice restaurant while we stayed for a night in Old Saybrook. The restaurant is a nice american-italian family-restaurant. The dinner there was really nice altough there were a lot of people in the middle of the week, so maybe you need a reservation at the weekends. The service was great as well as the food. The portions of the food were really large and we had to take something with us as we couldn't eat everything.

3  Thank Diana N