“what a rip-off”

Dining options: Reservations
newport, ri
“what a rip-off”
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I hate to give a negative review because the service was great , the employees were kind, and the atmosphere was nice. The problem is the pizza only comes in one size; small. I didn't realize this until I already ordered, then, after seeing the card-board sign showing how tiny the pizza is, and having four people to feed, I ordered a second. It cost me $28 or so for two small pizzas which probably didn't even equate to an average large. Luckily , my spouse and children weren't very hungry. I ate one pizza and part of the second myself and wasn't even full. I can only imagine what it would cost a large family or group of hungry adults to sit down and eat thier fill. The pizza wasn't terrible but being from New Haven County, and knowing what good pizza is, I wasn't impressed. Worst of all was the chicken topping on one of the pizzas that tasted mushy and salty. It didn't make me sick, but left me with sort of a sour-stomach feeling. If I had to quess, I'd say it was some sort of canned/processed product...yuck! I'm sure the reason for this establishment's success is the fact that it is located at a train station and sees alot of travelers/tourists. Don't waste your money.

Connecticut
“Great Pizza, Good Service, and Entertaining Model Trains”
Reviewed June 19, 2009

We've gone here every summer during our vacation for years, and it has always been spectacular. The pizza is delicious, with really interesting choices, delicious suace, and a crispy thin crust. Don't be afraid to try some of the oddest toppings, which include seafood -- the pizza all tastes excellent. Even the bread is to die for. The model trains on the top floor are fascinating (there are tables upstairs near 2 complex model train sets, or you may sit downstairs, where a simple model train usually circles the room along the wall. I think you may sit outdoors, too). Plus with an open kitchen, you may also watch the cooks prepare the meals. It's perfect for families, too. Just beware of the small children that may be running around to see the model trains. Overall, an excellent restaurant that I will continue to visit.

essex
“great for kids”
Reviewed June 9, 2008

oh boy this place was mobbed with little kids and parents. Great pizza (for area) and decent beverage selection for adults. Kids love the trains, but I'll have to figure out when to go back for the pizza when there aren't a gaggle pre school maniacs running around.

I loved my clam pie. thin crust. dogfish beer in a chilled mug.

jg123
“Best Pizza Around”
Reviewed January 8, 2008

The pizza here is amazing! There is an open kitchen so you can watch the pizza and salads being made- which is pretty neat. The crust is crispy and thin and they have a variety of specialty pizzas that are delicious! Make sure you try the BBQ chicken pizza if you want something a little different. The salads are fresh and the dressing is incredible. Service was great and very friendly. It is now my favorite pizza in the area- and i have to travel from new haven to get it.

Clinton,CT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Been there three times- the worst pizza I have ever eaten”
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Was just there last night. We went there after the Essex Steam train - North pole express. If you like Pizza, thin crust, deep dish, thick crust, you won't like this place. I have had pizza in New Haven at Pepe's, Sally's Modern. I have had Pizza in New York and othe places in Boston California etc.

I cannot understand why people go here for pizza. The crust is thin and tasteless. A cracker has more flavor than the crust at Pizza Works - a saltine cracker. While the crust has a bite, it has none of the flavor of a brick oven thin crust pizza.

The sauce has very little flavor as well - most of the pizzas come without Mozz - usually an indication that a pizza place wants to show case their sauce. Pizzaworks would be better served to add MOzz to all of their Pizzas, the Mozz would add flavor.

To make matters worse - The Pizzas are small and expensive.

The service is good however and there are model trains upstairs.

The whole experience makes me feel like its a tourist-type place with expensive prices and bad pizza. Makes sense though - its in a train station. Trust me if you are looking for pizza look further down the road to Sal's in Westbrook ( 1 exit down) or Fiore's or Al Forno - don't bother with Pizza Works

1 Thank OKOK2727