“Lovely atmosphere,”

Fresh Salt
Ranked #2 of 84 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 154
Description: Named Best Waterfront Dining and Best Seafood by Connecticut Magazine in 2016, Fresh Salt serves seasonal and locally inspired meals. Our tables overlook the waters of the Connecticut River where the fresh river meets the salt of the Long Island Sound. It's a treasured and historic spot with a natural environment that is rich in life. Fresh Salt restaurant reflects that lively diversity: We have a raw bar, a seasonally varied menu, and offer as much as we can from the farms, brewers, cheese makers and other food enterprises that are springing up around our region. Fresh Salt delivers a dining experience that's comfortable and relaxed. Our staff is here to be of service to you, our kitchen stands ready with fresh ingredients, a deep wine cellar and carefully crafted fusions of foods and beverages that bring tastes together in delicious and new ways. We have tables by the fire, at the bar, and in season offer seating outdoors on the Fresh Salt Terrace. Awards include: - Best Brunch, Best Waterfront Dining, Best Seafood, and Best Hotel Dining from Connecticut Magazine, January 2016 - Named Upscale Restaurant of the Year by Connecticut Restaurant Association, December 2015
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere at Fresh Salt is just lovely. I have been here four times since the bar was renovated a few years ago. The menu is diverse and food is delicious. I like to eat at the bar, so you would think service would be five star. I saddens me to have to write that the service is not even close. Each and every time whether the bar is busy or not service is inattentive, slow and disappointing. I know that from the previous three visits I should give up, but I really like it here. I am hoping the bar staff brings it up few notches so I can write a review at a later date that it has greatly improved.
I would still highly recommend this great restaurant for the food and atmosphere! Enjoy!!

Billy D, General Manager at Fresh Salt, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. My sincere apologies about your experience with the bar staff. Please feel free to contact me as I would like to hear more in detail what happened so I can make sure history doesnt repeat itself. Our number is 860-388-1111

Reviewed January 23, 2013

....The mark of an excellent restaurant is how they correct mistakes. In this case, with generous good will.

My spouse and I travelled 70 miles across CT from Roxbury to Old Saybrook to enjoy a special birthday dinner, as we had attended a wedding last summer at the Saybrook Point Inn, which houses the Fresh Salt restaurant and we had heard nothing but raves from everyone we knew.

We were given a lovely table right by the window, which had a view of LI Sound, obscured by the darkness of evening. It started promisingly as the bar stocked Chopin Vodka, which enabled me to enjoy a martini as my diet is gluten-free and can't drink most vodkas which are made from wheat.

We then each ordered a chowder, mine, Rhode Island, which is clear, and my spouse, New England, which, although I'm vegetarian had flecks of ham or bacon in it, which I avoided eating, was excellent quality.

Then, my spouse ordered the Cioppino, which was filled with all manner of fresh seafood which he very much enjoyed, but the Block Island Swordfish I ordered arrived undercooked, tough, and a very odd cut that resembled a capon.

When I showed our excellent server this problem, she took it away and then returned with the chef's apologies that an assistant had prepared it incorrectly, and that the chef insists that I try again, and this time, he was going to cook it himself (which I would have hoped for in any case, since this was costing $29.00).

While I was waiting, she brought me a lovely jumbo shrimp cocktail to graze on, on the house, as well as one dessert, to make up for this gaffe.

She added that the server was in quite a bit of trouble for her shoddy work.

When the swordfish arrived, I now could see and taste what the chef had intended,
as it was flaky, fresh, and absolutely delicious. A very nice side of sauteed spinach accompanied the fish.

For dessert, I had a home-made raspberry sorbet which was excellent, and my spouse enjoyed apples baked in pockets of philo dough.

So, while there was a hiccup in the meal, the management recovered beautifully and we had a great time.

1  Thank dmkinnnyc
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Every time my husband and I dine at Fresh Salt we always leave satisfied! Make sure you ask for Christine to be your server because she really is one of the best servers I have ever had. She's always timely, professional, knowledgable, and willing to offer suggestions when we can't decide. The food here is to die for as well as the amazing view of the Long Island Sound. We look forward to coming back again soon!

1  Thank KLevit1012
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Recently visited Fresh Salt and was thoroughly impressed. Walked in the door to smiling, jovial greeters then was escorted to my waterview table. My service was attentive, knowledgeable and witty. Our swordfish was out of this world. I definitely will return soon to try the happy hour or maybe one of the wine dinners. My family agrees this place is relaxing and enjoyable!

2  Thank RiRisMamma
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Pork chop had the bone as the soft part in the middle! Steak was so overcooked it was like leather. Terrible service! There was a bug in my drink. In the morning my over easy eggs were hard boiled. Don't waste your money in this restaurant! It used to be good, now is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

1  Thank Traveler_200950

I am very sorry that you did not have a great experience. I have brought this to the chefs attention. Please feel free to contact me so we can make sure you dine with us again and have a better experience. Our number is 860-388-1111