“Beware of bugs!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuckoo's Nest Mexican Food
Ranked #48 of 79 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
St. Barthelemy
“Beware of bugs!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

I totally agree with the other comments made about this restaurant. In addition, the facility is very dirty. The bathrooms were so filthy that you wanted to wash your hands after you washed your hands.

The food was at the same level as Taco Bell. The service and greeting at the front door was miserable. Attitude at its best with no professional hospitality.

If you go at night, you won't visually see the bugs. Avoid this restaurant during the day. With no competition for many miles, this restaurant is the only mexican restaurant.

Drive the extra mile and travel to Blue Coyotte in Haddam. A real find for value and good food.

2 Thank islandmap

A TripAdvisor Member
“Overall Disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2006

I have never had an overall worse experience than I have had at the Cuckoos Nest. I have worked in the restaurant industry for many years, which includes one of the culinary capitals of the world-NYC. I have experienced some of the best authentic international cuisine just by proxy of living in NYC. With that being said, I recently moved to Southeast CT and had read about the rave reviews about a wonderful Mexican restaurant. From the moment my husband and I stepped into the small bar area we were greeted with hostile reception from "regulars" not allowing us room at the bar. We were still open to a great experience and ordered margaritas which tasted like sour mix without the premium tequila. We never felt a connection with the bartender which made us feel less than welcome. We had a couple of drinks and decided to try an appetizer of calamari while waiting for our table. It boasted an avocado sauce. What arrived was overdone squid the size of my fingertip with a marinara sauce with a few diced pieces of avocado. We proceded to the dining room to give that a second chance. I ordered a fish taco (which I have loved since experiencing one in California) and my husband ordered the chicken enchilada & beef taco. I took one bite of the fish taco to realize it tasted like a fish stick with some lettuce and tomato. My husband's beef taco and chicken enchilada tasted worse than Taco Bell. I hate to complain about a meal, but I must do so here. I have never sent a meal back, BUT I DID! We got out of DODGE as soon as possible and went home hungry.

Tracy

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Two flew over the Cuckoo's Nest”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2006

My wife and I had been inundated with positive press regarding the quality and excellence of Cuckoo's Nest. I have never been more disappointed. From a hideous atmosphere to an apathetic barmaid, we could not believe we had finally set foot into "CT's Best Mexican 10 Years in a Row". The food was terrible. The calamari appetizer was supposed to be crisp with an avocado sauce-what we received was a rendition of rubber bands with a hot tomato paste in a cold plate-containing a few avocado pieces. Disgusting. When we attempted to dine at a table instead of the bar, our culinary experience sunk deeper into the abyss of the unimaginably grotesque. My wife's "fish tacos" resembled a five-year-old's effort to construct something remotely edible. The dish was a fish stick thrown into a microwaved tortilla and stuffed with lettuce and cheese. Awful. Then I had to endure a meal of inedible meat and overdry chicken bits hidden by a taco shell and a flour tortilla-horrifying. We could not digest our food and we were repulsed by the fact that we were actually paying for some of it. Avoid Cuckoo's Nest like the black plague.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member