“How to Run a Restaurant”

Cuckoo's Nest Mexican Food
Ranked #43 of 79 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Madison, Connecticut
“How to Run a Restaurant”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I've reviewed Cuckoo's nest before, this is just a quick shout out to hostess Brenda and waitress Belinda. We eat here fairly regularly and have always enjoyed prompt, courteous, pleasant service. This time, however, we sat at our table for 20 minutes without having a drink order taken. We were walking out and told our story to Brenda, who was apologetic and explained why it happened and took the blame. She sat us in another area and said "Belinda will take care of you, she's the best" And so she was. Brenda also took the first drink off our bar tab. So kudos to Brenda and to Belinda for turning what could have been an awful experience into a good one.

1 Thank david a

Macomb, Michigan
“Disappointed - blandest Mexican food I have ever had”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Since moving to the shoreline, I have heard many people recommend Cuckoo's Nest. On a recent Saturday night, my son and I made the trip. I was extremely disappointed. The food was so bland. The nachos were plain burger with dare I say American cheese on top? My son's enchilla was just as bland. The spanish rice and lemonade however were pretty decent. Our waitress was also excellent. While the resturant had atmosphere indoors, our table looked out over the garbage cans, and weedy, dirty back parking lot. Never going back here.

Killingworth, Connecticut
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Has been awhile since I've been to the Cuckoo's Nest because each prior visit was lackluster. Decided to give it another try since the restaurant advertises a new owner; OK someone who has been at the Cuckoo's Nest for years but nonetheless thought there might be some changes. Obviously not. Food still is unimpressive, bland and certainly not attractively plated. Prices are well above other Mexican restaurants - actually quite high - and not competitive with restaurants head and shoulders above this one. And, I still can't get used to being identified as "You guys" by the hostess seating me. Hard to understand how Cuckoo's Nest is given high marks by locals but I for one will not be returning any time soon.

• Visited May 2014
“Place has obviously gone downhill”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I came here a couple of years ago and remember having a great experience. I was in the area with my boyfriend and another couple and thought we would give it a shot. It was pretty busy which is usually a good sign. We were seated right away which was also a good sign. Then things started to go downhill. I ordered a coconut Margarita, and I never get margaritas so I was pretty excited about it. It was watered down and didn't taste like coconut at all. The waitress brought us some free chips and salsa but the basket of chips was so tiny that between the four of us, it was gone within minutes and she never brought anymore. The prices I think are very high. Every other Mexican restaurant I frequent is either lower or if they are the same, the quality of food is much better. When the food finally came out, all four of our dishes contained CRUNCHY rice. Like it was boiled and then left on a burner or under a heat lamp and became completely disgusting. I ordered a chicken burrito and the chicken was overcooked and I had about a half a breast of chicken in there that wasn't cut up at all. Flavor was completely lack-luster. My friend ordered a combo with a burrito, enchilada, and empanada and ordered different meat for each. When his order came out, all the meat was mixed up. I can't say how disappointed I was because I remember this place being good and it was honestly the worst Mexican food experience, possibly even worst food experience all together. Not sure if they are under new management or something, but they need to make some serious changes in the kitchen.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Ksilva620
East Lyme, Connecticut
“Turn On The Heat, Turn Off The Attitudes”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Hubby and I stopped in, (after swearing that we wouldn't go back to Cuckoo's Nest ever again), for lunch today around 1pm. It was 55 degrees outside and very windy. Only three other customers in the building and the heat was off. It was warmer outside! Asked waitress to turn on the heat several times. Finally, when one of the owners friends came in and openly complained about the cold, they apologized to her and then turned it on. Food is mediocre and the place needs a serious update. If you are in business, treat your customers kindly and please, turn on the heat. We couldn't wait to leave and this time, we will not be returning. Neighboring Alforno's has owner attitude issues too but at least the food is amazing and the atmosphere is pleasing.

• Visited April 2014