“Local that won't go back”

Cuckoo's Nest Mexican Food
Ranked #41 of 83 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Live in the area and have been here several times over the years. It had steadily declined and we stopped going. We heard they hired a new chef and decided to give it another try as it's the only Mexican resturant in close proximity. Yikes ! , nothing changed. Well the service was good , considering the poor waitress had a table of 20 women and two other two table and us. She ran her but off. She was the only one. The rest slowly climbed the stairs and pretended not to see us. Food, not good , at all ! My wife's was dry and my pastas was watery and almost seemed microwaved. This place needs Gordon Ramsey ! But until he shows up I'm not going back. Stay clear !

1  Thank Dsohemi

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great food and service. Nice Mexican restaurant with very good food and atmosphere. Don’t know why they make you have 50 characters in one of these reviews.

1  Thank Joe P
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We live in the area and every couple of years we decide to give this restaurant one more try. We had read there were new owners so we were hopeful. Once again we were so disappointed. We decided to start with drinks only to see if in fact anything had changed. We sat at a high top table in the bar. The table was wobbly, the chair needed all the joints tightened and the table was dirty. There was no table service so the bartender had to yell over the other customers sitting at the bar to take our drink orders. Then of course we had to get our drinks, menus, tortilla chips and salsa ourselves as well. We would not have minded this at all if our beverages were outstanding, which they were not. I had a top shelf Margarita, it was terrible. My husband had a glass of red Sangria equally as bad. The tortilla chips were cold, stale and the salsa was watery and tasteless. We did look at the menu and the specials looked great. However, the menus were dirty and had caked dry salsa on them-gross. Needless to say, we did not stay for dinner. First impressions do make a difference and if they can not even make great drinks, clean the menus and take a moment to clean a table top we are done. We will not be back!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

The Cuckoo's Nest is one of my favorite restaurants. The Staff is very attentive, the food is consistently amazing and the drink specials are delicious. Our favorite meals are the Mahi Mahi tacos, sizzling fajitas and the specials they have every week are a can't miss!! I highly recommend the Espolon Agave Margarita. It's delicious!!

1  Thank Sierra I
Reviewed September 8, 2013

The Cuckoo's Nest is a must if you're in or around the Old Saybrook area. I always have an order of guacamole to compliment the chips and salsa (the best I've had), and sip my margarita (try the elderflower marg). My experiences have always been positive, and the great food, and laid back atmosphere keep me coming back. Definitely give this place a try next time you're in the area.