“Very disappointed”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We went there for lunch, I had the Ensalad Fajita salad. It was awful. I had mine with grilled chicken. The chicken looked like it was frozen, then put under the broiler. It was so dry, I couldn't eat it. My friend had a VERY greasy beef taco. What a mess. It's a shame, we used to love going here but, the last two times were very disappointing.

1  Thank Sally B

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stopped by Cuckoo's Nest a while ago after finding Luigi's just up the street closed on Monday. We had been here a number of years ago and we love Mexican dining so, why not?

Immediately the disappointment set in. The place smelled old and the decor was even worse. So very dark with clutter and dinginess everywhere. We had a table by the kitchen with constant movement of waitstaff. The server was a delight and was prompt in all of her service. The food, on the other hand, was very plain and not even close to true Mexican and I would know - I travel to Mexico City at least once a year. There is nothing here that would make it stand out above the crowd.

Give it some thought before you go to Cuckoo's Nest. There are certainly better choices.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Cuckoo's Nest has wonderful Mexican Food. We really enjoy going there. The food is
authentic mexican, and you get plenty of it. Try it. Hope you will be pleased. We try to
get there a few times a month. Never disappointing.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This place is about 75 minutes from my home. Yet I've tried eating here three times and been unhappy every time. Once, about 16 years ago with a couple of friends who heard this restaurant was highly rated in some magazine or newspaper review. I remember, all these years later, were very disappointed in that experience.

Then I tried again about 10 years ago. I remember that also being a very big let down.

Then, I tried it about 2 years ago with my wife. Again, just "eh" level Mexican food. There was no spice to anything, no real wow or 'that's the taste I'm looking for' moment. The chips were bland and service was slow and uninspired.

I did like the atmosphere of this place, but feel it would do much better with new owners, menu, staff, etc. How this has scored such high reviews is beyond me. I won't be going back again.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

It has an interesting mix of Cajun and Mexican recipes. Try the seafood gumbo, or enchiladas mole. Anything is good.