“Chicken bone burrito?? Really?”

Cuckoo's Nest Mexican Food
Ranked #42 of 81 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Thank goodness I spotted the huge thigh bone in my chicken burrito, otherwise I may have eaten some of the other GROSS chicken parts before I realized it. It looked like the cook (clearly not a chef) chopped up barely cooked chicken legs--skin, ligaments, gristle and filled the tortilla with that. The waitress did notify the manager and we didn't get charged for it, but I do not think I'll be ordering burritos again for a long while, never mind ever going back here.

1  Thank Denise S
There are newer reviews for Cuckoo's Nest Mexican Food

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Just went for Sunday brunch, which sounded like a great idea. Don't worry, you can choose to order off the menu instead, if you don't like anything in the brunch buffet. Adults are $15.95, kids are $9.50, little kids are free. Was pretty happy with the burritos and tacos and desserts and fresh guacamole, although thought they were too bland and too salty. Immediately after eating, we had headaches and insanely dry mouths and throats, so we deducted that they're using either Adobo, MSG, or both. Such a shame. Although I could use a basket of spice and hot sauce to go with my food there, I can't negotiate on food that makes me feel funny. I guess I'll have to stick with Su Casa in Branford (also bland Mexican) or Valencia Luncheria in Norwalk (spicy Venezuelan) if I want to scratch my South American taste itch.

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

I know this is supposed to be a tex-mex place but all of the country/farm decor brings that into question. I had the fajita salad. It was good but the taco shell was indelible bc it was literally dripping with grease. Grease everywhere. Drink was ok (overpriced margarita covered with salt even though I asked for no salt). The most concerning part of this place is the cold stale uncovered chips and room temp salsa bowls that are put on empty tables before guests are even sat. Ummm...sure that sounds clean and appetizing.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

I eat at Cuckoo's Nest every couple of years with friends and the food is consistently underwhelming. It's not bad exactly, it's just nothing special. Think sit-down Taco Bell - but with drinks. The rice and beans are bland fillers, and the main entrees are so-so and can be hit or miss. Last fall the empanadas at lunch were pretty good but last week at dinner they were overcooked and crunchy. (Two empanadas and a glass of wine came to $24.) I think the trick is to order a of couple beers or margaritas and go with fun friends so the food is not the main focus of the meal!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Cuckoo's Nest does not serve "authentic" Mexican food, if you are from Mexico, but their enchiladas mole and chimichangas are quite good. The margaritas are very nice too, my wife's favorite being the mango margarita. They make them frozen if you wish, and the various flavors are delicious. We've been coming to Cuckoo's Nest for years, and while they don't measure up to fine dining restaurants in southern border states, this is Connecticut. Overall the experience is a pleasurable one, but ask for downstairs seating, as the upstairs service is a bit slow. If you listen carefully you can hear jazz being played on cd in the background. There's a live mariachi band on the 5th of each month if you enjoy live music with your food.