“Enjoyed the live Music”

The Back Porch
Ranked #44 of 84 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Let us introduce ourselves! We are The Back Porch Restaurant on the Connecticut River in Old Saybrook. We serve lunch and dinner daily, featuring great food, a full bar, game room, and expansive patio with an incredible water views. At night we light our fire pits and on the weekends, feature live music. So whether you are in the mood for a meal or want to kick back with a drink and enjoy the cool breeze and sunset views, The Back Porch is the place for you!
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We went there on a Wednesday for the 12.99 lobster special. We had to wait an hour for a table but the outdoor bar was friendly, the cocktails were large and the guy playing the guitar and singing was good. By the time we got a table, they had run out of the lobster. We had the fried clams which were fairly good, but on the expensive side.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Had lunch here a few years ago which was very good and this time went for dinner.
We arrived on a Friday evening in the summer, there were a lot of people eating inside and on the deck so there is always the question of how will service be affected and I am happy to say that it wasn't. Our waitress came to the table as soon as we were seated and took our drink orders which arrived shortly thereafter and then she took the meal orders and very soon after that our meals were served. The drinks -- dark and stormies -- were perfect. I've had them in Bermuda and in Florida and these were comparable. Our dinners were all prepared perfectly -- we all ordered something different -- one wanted tuna prepared rare and it was prepared exactly as ordered, another had a shrimp dish, and another ordered the fried clams and received a huge amount of clams which were very fresh. Nothing worse than a fried clam that is chewy and rubbery and these were definitely not that. The entire meal was very good right on through dessert and coffee.
We elected to eat inside but still had a great view of the CT River and the boat traffic.
Highly recommend this for people who like seafood that is well prepared and enjoy eating a in comfortable, laidback atmosphere perfect for a summer night out with friends or family including kids.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I eat here from time to time, and always bring people who are visiting from out of town to see the Back Porch. We have had some nice lunches on the patio, and it gives a great view of the marina and the water. It is a great summer locale, especially for visitors who do not live near the shore.

The menu is pricey, but we have enjoyed the food. I ordered a Fried Scallop special for lunch, a and was surprised at how large the scallops were. They were quite tasty and a big step up from your typical fried food. We enjoyed good service and had a great meal.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Met at The Back Porch with friends for an early dinner. We really enjoyed ourselves. The food was great. Our server Tara was very patient with us. We all hadn't seen each other in a while and we were catching up. I have to say that there was only one thing that drove us all crazy. The entire staff, with the exception of Tara were constantly on their cell phones. I realize it was a slow evening, but seriously??!! I work in a restaurant and I would be fired on the spot if I used my cell phone on the floor.
I know we will definitely be back. Hopefully a new policy will be in place for employees.

1  Thank JOL82
Reviewed June 12, 2014

OK overall. Had issue with N E clam chowder. Was delivered with clumps of corn starch and temp of chowder was only warm

1  Thank Sunshine89134