“Decent food for an old restaurant.”

The Blue Crab Steakhouse
Ranked #54 of 79 Restaurants in Old Saybrook
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Decent food for an old restaurant.”
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We went with expectations of having the options of eating crab legs, crawfish, soft shell crabs, lobster and an assortment of various fishes. It turns out it is just a regular restaurant with a handful of seafood dishes like crab cakes, fried calamari, fried shrimp, fried scallops. The place was a little run down with a very low ceiling but charming. They brought out homemade bread and it was delicious... better than the entrees we ordered. The dessert was very good as well. We ordered the banana and chocolate spring roll and it was very good. I figured if their homemade bread was delicious, the homemade desserts must be good too and it sure was!

Maine
“BEST STEAK”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I LOVED IT. I dont think there is anything we hated by far the best we will defnetialy be going back.

Visited September 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
“Nice little surprise”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We had set out to dine at a certain restaurant near the shore which we used to visit yearly, this year to find out that it was closed. Not being familar with the area, I used my trip advisor app to find another sit down restaurant in the area. We tried one that you needed reservations for, so next was The Blue Crab Steakhouse. Other's are right, the outside could use a little makeover, but it was very cute and elegant inside. It was exactly what we were looking for except its not waterfront. The inside reminds me of an old house, small and cozy yet I felt it was elegant yet casual. It was a saturday night around 8:30 by the time we found it, there were only a few people in the dining room and some in the bar area where there was a person singing and playing the piano. Very nice touch, I enjoyed the live dinner music. The service was good, very polite waitress, explained specials slowly and clearly. The menu had a great selection of seafood and steaks, I feel it was fairly priced as well. They served us a warm zucchini bread with our drinks that was out of this world. We could have eaten just that. We got the crab cakes and shrimp cocktail appetizers, both excellent with spicy sauces. I had the lazy man lobster which was a good amount of lobster but I felt it was a little salty/garlicy and just a bit too buttery. I enjoyed it nonetheless! I also had a side salad with the lemon herb dressing which I LOVED. Not something you can find other places. My bf had a steak which he enjoyed as well. We did not save room for dessert. Overall we were thrilled with our find, and would definetly return to this restaurant if we are ever in the area again.

• Visited June 2012
Hartford, Connecticut
“Web site make you think a classy place, upon arrival it's more like "what a dump"”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Parking lot is full of pot holes, lighting is soo poor you need a flashlight to see the menu, if you look closely at the interior you can understand why the lights are turned way down. Dumpy.

Menu is lacking, no draft beer, steaks look more like grade b steak, not even close to what you get at a real steakhouse.

1 Thank Travelloverdelmundo
Westbrook, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not impressed”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Went on a Sunday evening, bar was packed with open mike night. Stood at desk for probably 15 minutes waiting for hostess. I heard about the cajun rib eye, so I ordered that. The NY strip came with grilled onions and mushrooms, I asked if I could get that with the rib eye, she said sure. I ordered it med rare. Finally the steak came out, no onions or mushrooms, I asked where they were, she said they only came with the NY strip (and yes, it was the same waitress). After telling her she said I could get it, she went and got it. My steak was more rare than anything. When she came back to ask how eveerything was, I told her about it being rare and got a "oh". and off she went, not to return. Glad she asked. As for the cajun seasoning, I tasted none. I was not impressed and do not plan to return.

• Visited April 2012