“Best stay we ever had!”

Super 8 Old Saybrook
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Old Saybrook
Reviewed April 25, 2009

This was the best stay I had with friends! The staff were very friendly and there is a complimentary breakfast. If you don't want to eat there then you can just go down the street to Dunkin Dounuts! They even had a outdoor pool, but they said it will open over Memorial Weekend. The rooms were perfect for us. This motel even had high speed wireless internet which I really need in my life. I would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 29, 2009

I don't know about you, but I've been pretty fortunate when booking hotels online. That is to say until this trip. We were going to a concert at Foxwoods and needed to cheap place to crash on our way back home. We didn't care about getting anything too fancy, but I didn't think we'd be booking anything like The Bates Motel either.

The place is eerily quiet. The staff is stoic and direct. No pleasantries, not even a "Hello" at check-in. Our room was stale in design and smell, where nothing had been updated since the 60s or 70s. The biggest shock I got was when I opened the closet door, hoping to iron a couple of shirts.

I don't know if the staff was working on renovating the closet, but it looked like something bad happened in there. It smelled rank and moldy. The iron itself had burn streaks on it and I don't know what or who was last on the ironing board. It skeeved me out so bad, but I had to make due. So I turned on the shower and steamed the wrinkles out of my clothes instead.

The only positives were that it was right off of I-95, near a Dunkin' Donuts, that our time spent was just to sleep and that the sheets were clean (I didn't bother with blanket or bedspread which had cigarette burns on it). Honestly, we couldn't check out fast enough.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2009

I stayed here just one night but it was a good experience. The rooms are basic but clean and above average for the price. The wireless internet worked without any problems. I would opt for the rooms away from the highway side. There is a nice Italian restaurant next door. The breakfast was very basic but overall this motel is a great value.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I noticed 1 review that was similar to mine, and wish that I had checked with the BBB or Trip Advisor before I booked. Would have seved me headaches.
My husband and I got married in Old Saybrook on August 18th, 2007and reserved a block of 5 rooms at the Super 8 Motel in Old Saybrook, CT for our wedding vendors to reserve. We agreed to pay for our out of state photographer’s room as part of our contract with her, so I held a room under my name for our photographer for the night of August 18th, 2007. I did the room block (in January 2007) through a woman named Amita.
I called the Super 8 on several occasions in the months leading up to our wedding to confirm the room, as well as whether or not anybody had reserved the rooms that were in our block. On July 15, 2007, I called the Super 8 to cancel the room for my photographer that was reserved on my credit card. I spoke to Amita again. She said that there was no problem canceling the reservation, and that the room could be added to the block for my wedding night (I also verified that all the rooms in our block were still available for our guests/vendors to book). I asked her if I could have a cancellation number and she said there wasn’t a need for one. She had cancelled my reservation and the room was now available for someone else to book. I asked her again if she was sure I didn’t need a cancellation number, and she said “No.”
Imagine my surprise to return from my Honeymoon to see a $144.48 charge on my card from Super 8 Motel! I immediately reported this unauthorized charge to my credit card company, and I followed up by calling the Super 8 Motel. When I explained what happened to the gentleman who answered (Umesh, who claimed he was the owner of the hotel when I asked to speak to a manager), he said that it was a no-show charge. He was very rude and abrassive. He also said that I needed to give him the cancellation number. When I told him that Amita refused to give me one he said that he couldn’t help me. It was very frustrating. He behaved as if they had no recollection of my room block, my cancellation…etc. When I then gave him the reservation number that I had for the room, he said it didn't exist. Well, if it didn't exist why was I charged in the first place? It was like a really bad episode of the Twilight Zone.
In the end my credit card company ate the charge and I was refunded. Amita & Umesh run a fradulent business and I wouldn't recommend that anyone do business with them. They are scam artists and the BBB has many compaints on them as well. There are plenty of reasonable/cheap hotels in OSB that I would recommend (since I had blocks at many of them for my wedding guests). Skip Super *....stay at Saybrook Point, or Comfort Inn instead!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank GlobeTrotter07Nyc
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed at the Motel 8 for a couple days to visit the beaches. The hotel rate is inexpensive (about $80). We had 2nd floor rooms facing the pool. The rooms were nothing grand but clean and basic. It was mostly quiet and the kids liked the pool after a hot day at the ocean. But, my main complaint was the smell! The main lobby smelled really bad and there was NO WAY I was eating there for breakfast. Thankfully, Dunkin Donuts is 1 minute down the road. The room smelled also. If you are not sensistive to smells or bring your fabric freshener, then I think it is OK.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Vacationer1968
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Here is the story of a very poorly run hotel. In October 2007 we reserved two non smoking rooms for one night for a wedding In Aug 2008. The same week in October 2007 my married daughter reserved a non smoking room for two nights. My wife and I both had a difficult time communicating with the reservations clerk because his command of English was very poor and his accent very thick. We were all given confirmation numbers. A few days before the wedding we called to double check and they told me they only had one room, not two. When I gave them the confirmation number they said it was no good. They did have a smoking room which my other daughter had to take. My married daughter called a few days before the wedding and they said they had no record of her. The told her reservations made in October were NO GOOD BECAUSE THAT WAS SO LONG AGO. They did have a smoking room which they gave her. The new prices were more than the prices they gave us in October. The desk clerk when we arrived had no sympathy for our story and was very indifferent, almost rude when we tried to see if they had a non smoking room available. We we had a good time at the wedding so we were all going to forget this bad experience. The credit card bill arrived for my married daughter (who had stayed two nights) and she was charged twice. When she called the hotel they said the second charge was because she hadn' shown up for the first reservation which they had told her they didn't have. They claimed she had given a different name- a problem obviously due to lack of English speaking ability by the clerk- but the clerk said he couldn't be god and figure out names. He was very belligerent and said that he would get back to her. We called in a formal complaint to Super 8- this person was very nice- and my daughter notified her credit card company. I don;t know how this will be resolved but I would be wary of any future reservations with Super 8. By the way we had tried to do this on line and get a written confirmation but it wasn't possible.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We booked one week in advance on the Super 8 website and got a room for $60. Make sure you ask the rooms that faces south since the north side is opposite to the railway tracks. We did not hear nothing all night!

Owner warned us that the summer fare is above $100 no matter what since the area is full with tourists that time!

Breakfast could be better - cheap coffee and no toast (only bagels) which does not fit toddlers.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
#1 of 7 in Old Saybrook
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 8 in Niantic

Been to Super 8 Old Saybrook? Share your experiences!